The Saba Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Good 3.5/5
Hotel el Parador(Panama City)
Average 3/5
Good 3.5/5
Toscana Inn Hotel(Panama City)
Very Good 4/5
Very Good 4/5
Riande Granada Urban Hotel(Panama City)
Good 3.5/5
Hotel Coral Suites(Panama City)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewssmall hotelhot watercoffee makerel cangrejogreat neighborhoodnice bathroomfront desk stafffour nightstaxipanamaconveniencecanal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed here the Last 2 nights we were in Panama. The Hotel Coral Suites were booked. Lucky for us we found the Saba. The Saba is a very nice and clean hotel. The girl who works at the front desk, speaks great english and was very helpful. Our spanish skills are lacking. There are a lot of restaurants and convenience stores within walking distance. The bed and the bedding were very comfortable. The shower was really nice and the A/C worked extremely well. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KSE1953
Reviewed February 23, 2014

No hot water. Day one the water in the shower was mildly warm, I tolerated it because I had just spent the day in a very hot place. Day two the water in the shower is cold. No choice but to shower and grit my teeth. Asked the desk to have it repaired. Right away was the response. Day three water in the shower is cold. Talked to the desk. No repairs on the weekend. Should have hot water on Monday. I checked out along with two buddies who also experienced no hot water in their rooms. I should have paid attention to the many reviews that said "no hot water".

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Peachfuzzed
Reviewed February 8, 2014

The Saba is a four-story hotel of some 50 rooms in a commercial area with several restaurants and shops. A small park sits across the street. The hotel has clean, modern rooms, a restaurant on the ground floor with Asian & other food, and a hot breakfast for guests.

Seasoned travelers to Panama would probably be best suited to stay in this over-rated hotel. Facilities are basic, with no exercise facilities, and service could be enhanced. Though the staff seem genuinely want to help guests, they seem not familiar with basic visitor questions (perhaps because of limited English?) or not equipped to do so (for example, they apparently have no way to print boarding passes).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank EugeC
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I travel a lot and in every location I am always looking for that "one" little hotel that is perfect more me and half the price of the big named brands. I am still looking for it in Panama, but the Saba is close to it if they could just fix their hot water problem.

The hotel and rooms are nice, breakfast is good, and the location is perfect. Here's the problem: I checked in last saturday afternoon and there was no hot water in my room. I went to the desk and complained and they said they would figure it out. So I took a room temperature shower and went out for the evening.

Sunday morning I wake up.. not hot water.

I go to the desk again. Guy on duty sends a woman up who comes back up and says there is hot water. I go upstairs and there is no hot water. So I ask the guy on duty to see for himself and he agrees that there is no hot water.

So they change my room to across the hall and I take a nice hot shower. Sunday afternoon I go to take another shower and there is no hot water. However, I had turned it on and then take a skype call so it had been running for 20 minutes so I thought maybe they had a small hot water tank so I didn't press the issue.

Monday morning.. no hot water, same with tuesday morning. Then I left.

Clearly there is a hot water issue. When I used to travel in the Balkans where energy prices are high people there weren't as used to hot water as American are and it would often just be lukewarm to save money. Also, some hotels would just turn the hot water on from like 5am until noon.

I have a feeling that perhaps the Saba is just not turning the hot water up. It is on.. it worked once, and even when it wasn't warm it was slightly warmer than the cold water, but damnned if I can figure it out.

Anyway, if the hot water worked reliably I would rate the Saba 5 stars and stay there a lot (I go to Panama every month at least).

Room Tip: Check for hot water
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We, a family with two children, spent two nights at the Saba in Dec. 2013. It has a lot going for it: our room was very large, beds were comfortable, the sheets were high quality, and the breakfast was pretty nice. It is across the street from a pretty park filled with locals (Andres Bello), and there are a number of decent restaurants close by. However, there are some drawbacks as well: our room overlooked a parking lot and some rusty roofs, the toilet had lots of dried urine around the seat when we arrived, and the sink was totally clogged. When we arrived, check-in took 40 minutes --and nobody was ahead of us! No explanation was given for this delay. In addition, no assistance was offered with our luggage; we weren't even told where the elevator was. Front desk staff have a very laissez-faire attitude toward guests-- rarely a greeting, unable to offer advice about taxi fares, pretty much just kicking back at the desk. Finally, the Saba is NOT a boutique hotel, in terms of amenities or services. The décor was kind of tacky, and the toiletries were cheap. We had to repeatedly ask for more than two towels (there were four of us). Although there was a coffee maker and a desk light, there were not outlets for them--the cords just dangled uselessly. There just weren't any of the special touches that make a hotel "boutique." However, the Saba is worth four stars for the reasonable rate, ample room size, decent location, good ACin the rooms (corridors are hot) and cleanliness (after the toilet was cleaned).

Room Tip: The back rooms have an ugly view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family