“No Jubilado Discount Here”

Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro
Ranked #20 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
David, Panama
“No Jubilado Discount Here”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

On our last visit to Panama City we say this hotel and thought next time we would like to stay there. I have a permanent residency card for Panama and am eligible for the jubilado discount on hotels. I called the hotel itself to make the reservation and let them know I wanted the discount. They told me the only way to make a reservation was online. I explained that I wanted to make the reservation with a jubilado discount. They again said make the reservation online. So I made the reservation onlilne and in the comments place added that I wanted the jubilado discount. There was no where else on the form to add discounts. I place the reservation and printed a copy.
We arrived at the hotel at 2:45. Check in was at 3. The front desk people all acted like they did not know what they were doing.It took several very young people looking at multiple computers and making phone calls a little over 40 minutes to figure out a room for us get to us to the point of paying for the room. I don't even know what that problem was. They kept saying everything is okay. Then I must have laid a bombshell. They told me what the room rate was. I said that I had asked for the discount on my reservation which they also had a copy of in their hands. They said no. That I should have made the reservation by phone. I told them I did try and was told they would not take a reservation on the phone. To make a long story short. I did not receive a jubilado discount. I would have taken my business elsewhere except it was late in the day and I had no idea where else to go or what they would charge.
The room was okay. For being new it seemed a bit sparse. The safe in the room would not work. You could not use the pool, because all the ladders to go in and out were gone. There was no way after jumping in that you could possibly get out without a ladder.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. There are several in this neighborhood I
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank oceanloverDenver
Jose C, Manager at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Guest

Please apologize us for this miss understanding and lack of performance by our reservation staff. We do handle Jubilado rate discounts and it can only be book directly with us. It was mishandled by our front office staff. During your visit we were doing some repairs at the pool ladder but it only took several hours. I will make sure that our maintenance staff will use the appropriate sign in order that this situation does not happen again, the pool was suppose to be close during this time with no access by any guest.

If you have the time please contact me directly and I will be more than glad to help you with future reservations or any other needs you could have.

Warmest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed March 19, 2013

smilly- service oriented people working there, can make you feel at home. Calling you by your name and making the hospitality a great experience. For sure will come back there next time in Panama. Great food at the Gastro Bar, you should not miss the brownie with ice cream, great dessert.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest

On behalf of our entire staff and myself I would like to thank you for staying with us at Tryp by Wyndham Panama City. It is good to hear that your visit was a pleasant one and that we did our best during your stay hoping that you can visit us one more time.

Please don't hesitate to contact us for your next reservation..

Warmest Regards
Miami
Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stay the first 3 night of our trip at this hotel and would definitely recommend it highly. The hotel is brand new with a great location in downtown. The rooms are great as you expect of a new hotel. Service was excellent as well, very clean and modern interior design. We ordered room services and the quality of the food was also so good. Free wireless internet everywhere.

Room Tip: So many restaurant and activities walkin distance.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jose C, Manager at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our staff and our managers I would like to thank you for your comments and visit to our Tryp Hotel. If the travel bring you back to the area please don’t hesitate to contact us in order to make your next stay as best as your last one. We work every day to exceed our guests expectations and make every stay as pleasant as possible.

Thank you so much!

Thank you so much!
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This place was awesome with clean rooms, king size bed, good safe, views of the city, and I didn't have any major issues with booking...I have not checked out prices for other hotels in Panama City, however, this seemed like a major deal for under $100 per night...I did look at other places like trump etc. and they were all $240 and up!! definitely recommend...

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank byronbcanada
Dear Guest

On behalf of our entire staff I would like to thanks you so much for your recent comments and stay at our Tryp Hotel in Panama city. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest hoping that you can visit us again in your next trip to Panama. We do our best to keep our operation at the highest level to every visit we have and to please all guests needs.

Thank you again and looking forward to see you in the near future.
Valley Forge PA
Reviewed March 14, 2013

TRYP is one of the new Wyndam properties supposedly perfect for short stays. But when we got to our room, the occupant seemed a bit surprised, as in "Hello, I wasn't expecting company." The desk tried to overcome this by hastily preparing another room and 30 minutes later we entered but without our luggage. There's but one bellhop and only two elevators on which your floor choice must be activated by your hotel card. Because this hi-tech security procedure is relatively new to folks, these elevators can prove painfully slow. Room size is decent, furnishings cold and stark, floors bare hardwood, but some have great views of the city. Our attempt for a wake-up call went unanswered. The hotel's open lobby dining area has only one waitress. We're certain everyone eats somewhere else. Oh, and the roof-top pool. Forget it. The pollution in PC keeps an invisible cover of dirt on the roof that turns the soles of your feet designer black. One bright spot! Searching for an ice machine I was intercepted by a hotel employee. He asked for my room number and disappeared into the elevator. Ten minutes latter he politely knocked with a full bucket in hand, a nice ending to a rough day.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank foxypanthers
Jose C, Manager at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our entire staff I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay at the hotel, this are not our standard of operations and hope we can make it right if you can visit us one more time.

After a meeting with our managers and conducting an investigation of this case I could notice that your visit was with a group that the hotel have a contract with, the group leader received the keys of each of the guests of your group and, at the time of delivery the keys The Tour leader made a mistake and gave you the wrong one which caused it to hand over the room occupied. This situation was out of our hands at that moment but we realized the confusion immediately reason why our front desk had to look for another room for you and make the proper changes.

We had a meeting with the company that handle the groups so this situation does not happen again..

Thank you for your comments hoping that you can visit us one more time and let us exceed your expectations.

Regards
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed March 8, 2013

at first i had doubts of staying here due to the poor service comments, however, i stayed for a night and loved the place! the staff was very friendly, food is very good and the rooms are very nice since the hotel is fairly new. very good location, in the middle of the action, walking distance to many restaurants, pubs, bars, and casinos. My experience was superb and i highly recommend this place!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Augusto M
Jose C, Manager at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our entire staff I would like to thank for your comments and letting us know that we exceed your expectations during your visit to our TRYP by Wyndham Hotel.

If the travel bring you back to Panama please don't hesitate to contact us and will be a pleasure again to have you as our guest at this your home.

Regards
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Located in the center part of the business district, the hotel is quite new and the rooms are really nice but the hotel staff is really really poorly trained. I stayed 3 nights and the second day my room wasn't cleaned at all. Usually they sell rooms with breakfast included (nothing special), the good part is that you can kind of walk to most part from here. On the evening of the last day I requested in person at the front desk a late check out (normal check out is 12noon and I asked for 1pm) and they said sure no problem. The next morning they call me in my room at 11am and the person said to me that if I didn't check out by 12noon I'd have to pay an additional $40 upon leaving. Conversation escalate and at the end they tell me I can stay....... what a waist of time. Finally I get to the desk to check out and after waiting a good 15min to get my statement print out I was handed a bill for a bunch of phone calls that I never made from my room. After questioning the employee and requesting a manager they decided to disregard the bill. Bottom line: nice hotel rooms in an hotel with poor services. You should not pay more than $100 x night at this place.

Room Tip: You can find good deals for this place at despegar.com
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Jose C, Manager at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest

Please apologize us for the inconvenients you had during your stay at our hotel. After reviewing your comments I had a meeting with our managers regarding this situation and we noticed that one of our agents (who were on training) didn't passed the information to the next shift reason why our agents, in the morning,never knew about your late check out. We tried our best to make it right for you after we knew that there were no information about the late check out hoping that you can visit us one more time and let us exceed your expectations.

Regarding your room not being cleaned, our reports showed that you had a Do Not Disturb sign, we normally made a courtesy call during the day when we find the sign, if there is no answer, we leave a note to communicate to front desk regarding the make-up of the room. I will request more information to check if our housekeeping followed the procedures regarding this situation and make the proper adjustment.

We hope that you give us the oportunity one more time since we normally operate with high and better standards than what you perceived during your stay.

Thank you for your comments and we will make sure to use it In the relentless pursuit of excellence...