“Excellent Hotel”

Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro
Ranked #20 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights and had a great experience. This was a great hotel with a very friendly and helpful staff. It was very clean, modern, and had a fantastic view of the city as my friend and I stayed on one of the top floors. The beds were very comfortable and I slept very well both nights during my stay. The bathroom was large and very clean...only minor issue was that the door to the bathroom didn't necessarily close that well, but only nitpicking. The spa temperature on top of the hotel was very lukewarm, but the view of the city from up there was excellent.

I would advise travelers that are using the yellow taxis to look for a taxi on the main street, only a few blocks away. Taxis near the hotels tended to overcharge a lot to tourists.

Overall, I was very pleased with this hotel and I would definitely stay here again for my next visit.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Jose C, Gerente at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for you recent stay and comments about your great experience at the Hotel. We look forward to see you again and let us exceed your expectations one more time...

Warmest Regards

There are newer reviews for Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Great hotel, easy to walk to restaurants and stores for beer and snacks! A neat little pub a block away from the hotel, and the wine bar has decent pasta for a fair price! The pool is the perfect place to be on the hot afternoons, although with only 5 lounge chairs its tough to get one unless you get to them early!

We booked when the breakfast was included in our room price, it was very simple and not very good. Definatly not worth the $17-30 they were charging per guest. The fact that each adult would pay a different price depending on what the staff felt to charge was wrong to me. I would not pay for this meal!

Dear Guest

On behalf of our hotel staff I would like to thank you for your visit and let us know your concerns about the breakfast. As you mentioned there should not be any difference about prices and I will make sure that our restaurant supervisor and Chef be aware of this situation. On the other hand thank you for your great comments about the hotel hoping that you can visit us again when the travel bring you back to the area.

Thank you and Be Well!!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

3 stays in two weeks. Room design, cleanliness, friendliness all good. The BIG problem is the elevators. Too few, too slow. Maybe they'll figure out how to program them better but until then you wait and wait. Also beware of the price of breakfast. Very nice but two blocks down the street on the corner is a Spanish restaurant with a nice outdoor terrace where you can have a king's breakfast for 1/3 the price of the hotel buffet.

Room Tip: three stays on three different floors on both sides, higher is better but it doesn't make much d...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RobertitoL

Dear Guest

On behalf of our entire staff I would like to thank you for your comments and visit hoping that you can stay with us one more time when the business bring you back to the area. About the concern of the speed of our elevators sometimes it make difficult for us to do changes since they are made under some specifications for security reasons but we are willing to do some research about some possible adjustment if need it.

Thanks again for your visit and we hope to see you again and let us exceed your expectations..

Regards

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I found this hotel online becasue we were taking a family vacation to Panama. The hotel is just 6-7 months old. Evreything is brand new. The rooms were great. Keep in mind that the king soze rooms are a little smaller than the doubles. The hotel staff was very accomodatiing and even though it is great for family please remember that there are casinos in the area as well as brothels as prostitution is legal there. The good thing is, you don't anyone soliciting there services.

We were able to get the bed and breakfast rate ONLINE!!!! That included FREE BREAKFAST. Keep in mind that if you make your reservation through the hotel, they won't give you the same deals you may find online. The breakfast was a hot an cold buffeet which was very good. The top floor has a decent sized pool that is 4 feet deep and a jacuzzi. It also has a rooftop work out room, sauna, swedish shower; all very nice and clean. The italian restaurant next door was excellent. The portions were big and the prices were cheap and the food was good. Be sure to tell the
chamber maids that you want room swept and the furniture dusted everyday, otherwise, they'll just change the sheets and clean the bathroom.

Whatever deal you find online, bring your confirmation page with you and make sure that you tell them exactly what your deal includes. Before getting there people were wrting, saying that the staff was trying to charge them for breakfast, even though it was included in their package, and saying it was a computer error. But when we got there, I went over everything with the young lady and she was fine. One of the other workers tried coming over saying that it was wrong, but she was quickly corrected. I think they don't really know what deals are given on the TRYP website.

You can walk down to via espania for some shopping, but if you really want to hit the malls you will need to either rent a car, dollar rental is down the block or look into all the excursion trips that are around. They will cost you some money but I think it's worth it. If you want to go the beach, the best one I hear is in Isla Grande. There is a bus company that takes picks you up at the hotel at 7a.m. Food is inlcuded and it is an all day trip. The cost is over $100 bucks a person.

Overall I enjpyed my stay because we have family there who really took us around and we were able to go through the Panama Canal.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest

Thanks so much your recent stay at our hotel and let us know your good experiences and concerns at the hotel. About the breakfast there still some deviation in the reservations systems to correct but, any misunderstanding about the breakfast we will make sure that any guest have what has being booked.

If you plan to visit Panama again please don't hesitate to contact us and we will make it right for you.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

We had to look for a new hotel at 11pm. We called around until we found a two night available room at Tryp. Arriving at that hour is never a good idea, although the bar was still open, there was no bell boy to help us with our load and well, the receptionist was not the most friendly men I've met. Once, we arrived at the room in the 9th floor* the view was amazing, you could see the city. The room was clean, the pillows fluffed, linens clean, bathroom fully equipped with the essentials and big enough. The hotel seems to be new, so, infrastructure, decor, appliques are very modern hoping you won't need anything. You will even find the newspaper outside everyday.
On the AS floor, you will find the pool, is quite small, but you will never see a lot of people in it, and the Jacuzzi is as well small but they are both very clean. There is a bar around the pool area that closes around 10pm. On that same floor you will find the gym, which has all the basics and a semi-spa. Definitely, the hotel has a lot of commodities that you will need.
The price does not usually includes the breakfast, but in case you do take it, its a buffet-style breakfast. Its a combination of panamenian food and american. There is not a lot to choose from, but it has a different rage of options. The food was a little tasteless, so if you don't opt for the breakfast, you won't be missing much.

I didn't want to leave the hotel, it really filled in the basics, it has a great location, you can find restaurants, pharmacies, stores, withing a walking distance, there are always cabs and its close to bars and nightclubs. My once complain I guess, is the lack of empathy or interest from the staff who give it a very cold vibe to the hotel and the fact that around 11am someone will come knocking at your door saying... CHECKOUT...I found it very rude. Despite that I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views

Dear Guest

On behalf of our entire staff I will like to thank you for your comments and visit to our hotel. It is good to know that you had a good experience but the check out. I have informed our Rooms Manager to pay attention at the check out procedures in order to avoid any situation like the one you had when our housekeeper knocked your door prior to check out time. I will make sure that does not happened again..

Hope you can visit us again...

Warmest Regards

Reviewed January 16, 2013

We spent one day in Panama city at this hotel prior to a sailing cruise on windstar through the panama canal. The hotel is quite new and fine rooms. There were several restaurants in the area and a small market at the corner. I would not recommend Panama city as a tourist destination myself, but it getting a LOT of high rise hotels.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose C, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Guest

On Behalf of our entire staff we would like to thank you for your visit, hoping that you can visit us one more time and let us meet or exceed your expectations.

Thank You!

Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is an overall nice hotel. Lobby and restaurant are well maintained, the room was spacious and very clean. Comfortable beds and nice linens, and a good location in El Cangrejo. The biggest problem I had was the front desk lady was really inexperienced. Check in was slow. Then when I got to the room, there was no hot water. I told her about this, and she said she'd fix it. An hour later, I called and she said the water was fixed. It wasn't. Then another hour later (after me calling 3 times), she sent the barman to verify I was telling the truth, that there was in fact no hot water. Not a maintenance guy to fix it, just someone who came up, turned on the shower, and said yep, no hot water. I guess she thought I was lying?? In the end, they couldn't fix it, and I had a room with no hot water. Also, I asked the same lady for a 4:45 Wake up call, and I didn't receive it. Luckily, I set my phone alarm or I would've missed my flight! The manager (Oscar) was very nice and apologized and gave me a discount. The front desk lady was very polite, but I got the feeling she wasn't telling me the truth and was just trying to get rid of me. Overall, I'd give this hotel another try next time I'm in town because I hope it wasn't normal what happened to me.

• Stayed: January 2013
Jose C, Manager at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank for address this situation to us. I will address this situation with our Room Manager and Maintenance Manager in order to evaluate why it happened and why it was not immediately solved. It is not acceptable that your problem was not made over for you in a appropriate time.

Please don't hesitate to contact us directly when you visit Panama again I will be more than glad for me to help you with your needs and stay...On behalf of our staff thank you for your comments and I will work diligently to work over this concerns.