“My Tryp”

Ranked #20 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
“My Tryp”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We had to look for a new hotel at 11pm. We called around until we found a two night available room at Tryp. Arriving at that hour is never a good idea, although the bar was still open, there was no bell boy to help us with our load and well, the receptionist was not the most friendly men I've met. Once, we arrived at the room in the 9th floor* the view was amazing, you could see the city. The room was clean, the pillows fluffed, linens clean, bathroom fully equipped with the essentials and big enough. The hotel seems to be new, so, infrastructure, decor, appliques are very modern hoping you won't need anything. You will even find the newspaper outside everyday.
On the AS floor, you will find the pool, is quite small, but you will never see a lot of people in it, and the Jacuzzi is as well small but they are both very clean. There is a bar around the pool area that closes around 10pm. On that same floor you will find the gym, which has all the basics and a semi-spa. Definitely, the hotel has a lot of commodities that you will need.
The price does not usually includes the breakfast, but in case you do take it, its a buffet-style breakfast. Its a combination of panamenian food and american. There is not a lot to choose from, but it has a different rage of options. The food was a little tasteless, so if you don't opt for the breakfast, you won't be missing much.

I didn't want to leave the hotel, it really filled in the basics, it has a great location, you can find restaurants, pharmacies, stores, withing a walking distance, there are always cabs and its close to bars and nightclubs. My once complain I guess, is the lack of empathy or interest from the staff who give it a very cold vibe to the hotel and the fact that around 11am someone will come knocking at your door saying... CHECKOUT...I found it very rude. Despite that I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose C, Gerente at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our entire staff I will like to thank you for your comments and visit to our hotel. It is good to know that you had a good experience but the check out. I have informed our Rooms Manager to pay attention at the check out procedures in order to avoid any situation like the one you had when our housekeeper knocked your door prior to check out time. I will make sure that does not happened again..

Hope you can visit us again...

Warmest Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Bath, Michigan
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We spent one day in Panama city at this hotel prior to a sailing cruise on windstar through the panama canal. The hotel is quite new and fine rooms. There were several restaurants in the area and a small market at the corner. I would not recommend Panama city as a tourist destination myself, but it getting a LOT of high rise hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Jose C, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Guest

On Behalf of our entire staff we would like to thank you for your visit, hoping that you can visit us one more time and let us meet or exceed your expectations.

Thank You!
Reviewed January 15, 2013

This is an overall nice hotel. Lobby and restaurant are well maintained, the room was spacious and very clean. Comfortable beds and nice linens, and a good location in El Cangrejo. The biggest problem I had was the front desk lady was really inexperienced. Check in was slow. Then when I got to the room, there was no hot water. I told her about this, and she said she'd fix it. An hour later, I called and she said the water was fixed. It wasn't. Then another hour later (after me calling 3 times), she sent the barman to verify I was telling the truth, that there was in fact no hot water. Not a maintenance guy to fix it, just someone who came up, turned on the shower, and said yep, no hot water. I guess she thought I was lying?? In the end, they couldn't fix it, and I had a room with no hot water. Also, I asked the same lady for a 4:45 Wake up call, and I didn't receive it. Luckily, I set my phone alarm or I would've missed my flight! The manager (Oscar) was very nice and apologized and gave me a discount. The front desk lady was very polite, but I got the feeling she wasn't telling me the truth and was just trying to get rid of me. Overall, I'd give this hotel another try next time I'm in town because I hope it wasn't normal what happened to me.

• Stayed January 2013
Jose C, Manager at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank for address this situation to us. I will address this situation with our Room Manager and Maintenance Manager in order to evaluate why it happened and why it was not immediately solved. It is not acceptable that your problem was not made over for you in a appropriate time.

Please don't hesitate to contact us directly when you visit Panama again I will be more than glad for me to help you with your needs and stay...On behalf of our staff thank you for your comments and I will work diligently to work over this concerns.
Sao Paulo
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is really good. It's new so infrastructure is really good and it's really clean. Location is also awesome as you can easily wak to restaurants, shops, casinos, etc., even at night.

The hotel could be perfect if they just improved the frontdesk staff. I had read another reviews complaining about the same but I only realized after going there. During my stay I only saw two people at the frontdesk: a clearly incompetent man and a very bad mood woman. Whenever I asked for something, the result was that I could not get it at all or that they looked at me as if I was disturbing them.

Breakfast should be improved too. It's not that bad, but it's no worth is price, not even close.

Another point to review is that I was awaken everyday at 8 am by the housekeeping staff just to see when I was leaving the room (even when, after the first day, I asked to don't do that).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with balcony to the street
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Jose C, General Manager at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you so much for your comments and letting us know about your experience at the hotel. Our Front Desk staff is almost new and we are training then on a daily bases in order to improve this situation appropriately so no guest can experience this feeling about not being help full to them. As an international brand we care about every customer that visit our properties and it is our goal that every staff be train in our hotel philosophy and customer care standards.

On behalf of our staff we will like to thank you and hope we can see you again and let us make it right for you..

Regards
Homestead, Florida, United States
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I had made a reservation online for my friend and I as I always stay at Tryp hotels in Spain and have stayed at the Tryp Iguatemi in Saõ Paulo and I just love the hotel concept. Well when we arrived the front office manager was there and it great spirits and helped us check in. When we got up to the room there was only one king bed when I had made a reservation for two queen beds as I could not sleep in the same bed as my friend. We went back down to the lobby and the manager apologized and rebooked us in a new room but informed us that the mirror in the bathroom had fallen off the wall and broke. I told him that was not a problem. However when we got up to the room it was filthy it had not been cleaned and there was garbage everywhere and it reeked of cigarettes. At this point I was furious and also exhausted from traveling. Well we went back down and I expresses my dissatisfaction. The manager very nicely informed me that he could book is at a sister property down the street and he did and they also comped us a nice dinner and breakfast the next day. So after all the hassle they made up for it in the end and I was very gracious. Thank you!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest

Please apologize us for this inconvenient. I hope you let us make it over for you in the near future or next time you visit Panama. It is no normal and part of our operation standard that something like this happen.

I will look over this situation about not getting the room you booked in order to adjust our operation appropriately.

Cancun, Mexico
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We stayed at the Tryp on our in-transit night in Panama City. I was very pleased by the stylish and comfortable design of the hotel and rooms. Its also located near many great restaurants and sights. Well recommended.

1 Thank halifamous
Jose C, Manager at Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Guest

On behalf of our entire staff I would like to thank you for your recent stay. It is glad to hear that you had a great experiencie during your visit.

Dont hesitate to contact us for your future reservations.

Thank You.!
Brasil
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The hotel is very clean, the restaurant is great, good wine selection and tapa's bar. It's a new property, so the staff need some experience, but overall we were well received. The only negative thing is that our room was not ready when we arrived and we had to wait for almost one hour.
The rooms have good sizes and the bathroom was huge, and the shower is just perfect. I wold stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thanks so much for staying with us. It is good to hear that you had a great experience at the hotel but the check in. We are adjusted our operation and for sure you will not have this kind of situation again.

Thank you again and hope we can see you again so we can surpass your expectations one more time..

Regards