“Noisy hostel, drunk staff and workmen watching you shower!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Panama City
Panamericana Hostel
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The good: It is a very pretty hostel, it has a kitchen (though it is very small for the 90 bed capacity), the bedroom we had was large and had a nice painting on the wall and a balcony, and there was a roof garden with lovely views, and you get free breakfast but this is just bread and jam.
The bad: It is really noisy! Above every bedroom door there is an open vent so you can hear anything happening outside your room, and the whole hostel is organised around 2 interior courtyards that means the sound travels all the way up from the communal area to the floors above. We were woken up at 5am by the receptionist who was drunk! I went down at about 6.30am and he slurred an apology, then an external tourist guide came in to collect a group for the day and the receptionist couldn't speak a word of spanish to the guide so didn't know what he wanted or who he was there to collect. He asked me to translate for him!
When a female receptionist arrived at 8am I asked if we could move room to a higher floor and she told us it didn't make a difference which room you stayed in as the whole hostel was loud. I asked if we could move room anyway to see for ourselves and she said we'd have to wait until 12 to see if they had spare rooms.
Then I had a shower and half way through realised that 3 workmen were watching me from the building site across the way- they had set up chairs and I later found out this was a regular thing and some of the girls had heard this from other guests and used showers at the other end of the hostel instead.
I told the female receptionist about this and she shrugged and told me to use the other showers. I suggested that it was a good idea to actually tell the guests about this problem so they could use the other showers before this happened and she shrugged again, I also suggested putting up a curtain might also be a good idea (!) and again she shrugged. I finally suggested putting a sign on the bathroom door to warn guests and she declined so I wrote signs myself, taped them to the bathroom doors and left! We moved to the Magnolia Inn Hostel nearby which was lovely.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 12, 2013

A great location but very noisy. But this is true at the moment for the whole of the Casco Viejo. I had a private room with bathroom, and while the sheets were clean, the floor of the bedroom and the bathroom were not at all. Nor was the kitchen. Reception staff not unfriendly but did not go out of their way to help.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed here after a terrible night at the sister hostal of 'Hospedaje Casco Viejo'. This was much cleaner (we stayed in a private double) and the shared bathrooms had hot water. The kitchen was bigger and well kept. The staff were friendly and helpful. The only criticism was that there is extensive building work going on, and it starts very early from right outside the hostal. Also, this means that 2 of the bathrooms are overlooked on one side by builders! Bit of a pain as the shared bathrooms then become quite busy. But overall, a good option.

Room Tip: Not the bottom floor - so noisy with the building works!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

The best about this hostel is that it is one of the two backpackers in the lovely old town of Panama City and it's a short stroll to nice restaurants and bars. It feels a bit like sleeping in an exhibition. I really liked the design and the little details of the interior. It is also clean. But this place has a big minus: it's very loud! It comes with the archtitecture of this place that every noice echoes but also there is no need for a receptionist to run music at 5 o'clock in the morning. Unfortunately a lot of backpackers have the mentality that everybody should be awake when they are...

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

. The location it's good but nowadays they are reconstructing the parks that's next to the hostel. The beds are really good, clean rooms etc. but on Friday and Saturday nights its REALLY noisy because there's a bar on the rooftop

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Very light, spacious and cool Art Deco style hostel. We liked our dorm #27 very much, as it is located next door to shower and the restroom, which was clean, the shower had perfect water pressure and hot water. The dorm has two balconies and is located only one staircase away from the rooftop. Each dorm bed is $13 a night and comes with a full size locker.

This hostel also has awesome TV/chill-out room with an enormous comfy couch and a large flat screen TV. Next door to the TV-room there is a big kitchen which is kept very clean by the staff. Every morning coffee/tea, banana, toast - peanut butter breakfast is served.

Very fast laundry service! $3 a bag and your clothes are washed and dried in just couple of hours.

As you can see, I really like this hostel. It's not perfect though, it seriously lacks information desk or a binder with to do things and how to get to Colombia options. It could use a better book exchange and purified water usage.

The staff is very knowledgeable and have helped us out lots, getting directions and other information about what to do and where to go - so just ask them!
Also, the staff understands that, as a backpacker I like to save money. I had a flight at 5AM and would be leaving the hostel around 2:30AM, the staff allowed me to check out day before without any restrictions. I stored my luggage, but was still able to use the shower, the rooftop, the kitchen and I even got a 3 hour nap on the couch. Isn't that amazing?!

It's important that you ask what parts of Casco Viejo you should avoid. The hostel is located only couple of streets away from a sketchy neighborhood, but if you don't go in that direction - you'll be fine and loving your stay.

Between Casa Luna and Panamerican, definitely stay at Panamerican!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Very spacious rooms with balcony and hot water. Nice decor/artwork - the designer obviously put in a lot of thought. This hostel has a lot of private rooms and caters to groups and couples. However, the issue is that the high level of noise negates the possibility of a full nights sleep. Maybe it's tolerable in low season, but when we were there in February (when the hostel was full), it was unbearable. Since there is an open grill above the door of each room and the hostel has a small very echo'ey courtyard, you will hear every door slam and every conversation. Both nights we were woken up by people chatting in the courtyard - their voices were amplified through the hostel. Despite sleeping pills and earplugs, there was no possibility of a restful night's sleep. NOTE TO MANAGEMENT: please ask people to NOT gather in the courtyard afterhours and to instead chat in the common area with the couch. A simple but partial solution to the noise problem. I really want to like this hostel but can't fully recommend it unless something is done about the noise.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple