“Clean, quiet and well located”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Panama City
Panamericana Hostel
Cheongju, South Korea
“Clean, quiet and well located”
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Although I only stayed there for one night in transit, it was a very nice place to come and wind down in after a lively holiday. It was super quiet, the rooms were really clean, and the staff was very friendly and generally helpful. The food was pretty good, although it took a long time to get our food and they forgot some things, but not a big deal. My only complaint is the AC is extremely cold and if you turn it off, it gets hot and stuffy and they don't provide heavier blankets. The location is PERFECT though... only a 2 minute walk to the big market/shop area. Although most people like to stay in the old town area, which is fun and I have done before, this was great for seeing another part of the city. Overall good stay!

Room Tip: The triple room is comfy but AC is strong, ask for extra blankets
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely love it here!! Like a hotel, really clean and beautiful and large rooms and hot showers! Great location! Favourite hostel in Central America. Great views from the roof terrace. Highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2012
Reviewed November 24, 2012

The Place is nice, but unfortunately we stayed there on a Weekend and almost could not sleep at all as the (really nice) rooftop turned into a Bar/Club with loud Music and tons of people screaming, running up and down the stairs and slamming doors... To make things worse, we did not only share the bathroom with the other guests but with the whole partycrowd!! If you want to get some sleep, don't stay here on the Weekend - at least not in the top floor like we did...

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank RingsK
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This hostel is located in a great part of Panama City - Casco Viejo. The surrounding buildings are gorgeous and photographers will enjoy the views from the roof top patio. It is a clean building and with super reasonable rates. My only complaint would be that the doors seem to slam and not close quietly. Perhaps this is due to the breeze coming in through the windows? If you're looking for quiet, this may not be the place for you, but otherwise, it's a grand slam!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Globalgirl6_13
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed November 15, 2012

My wife and I stayed here 4 nights. The rooms were clean and large. We liked the artwork and decorating. The rooftop provides an incredible view of the downtown and square. Internet worked great. Each room has it's own ceiling fan.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank boback
Boston, MA
Reviewed November 9, 2012

The best thing about Panamericana Hostel is the location, right on the Pacific Ocean/Bay. For the first few nights, I was alone in the dorm on the third floor and I sat out on the balcony reading a book listening to music from the Plaza, it was heavenly. This is a new hostel, so don't make the mistake that I did and assume a taxi would know where it is, before coming here, right down the address, b/c it is fairly new and many people don't know where it is. The staff were very helpful, letting me know how much a taxi should cost and how much they would try to charge me (always charging the tourists more), setting me up with a tour of San Blas. They were great! The first room I was shown smelled of cigarette smoke and I requested a different room and they were very accommodating in showing me another dorm that I ended up having all to myself for a few nights.

Breakfast is simple, toast, peanut butter and jam and banana and free coffee. I ate a lot. Make sure to bring your own milk if you need it for coffee. Spacious kitchen, but it is often being used by a bunch of women who appear to be long-term stayers.

A few things that I did not love about this place. The bathrooms could have been cleaner, I felt that for the amount of people who use a bathroom, they should clean them more than once per day. It also doesn't promote a vibe where other tourists seem to interact. There seem to be a bunch of long-term stayers and so the more transient tourists didn't interact much and as a solo traveler, I would have liked a little more sociability. Most uncomfortable, is that this place appeared to have an alcoholic. Several days that I was there (everyday that I was there), there was a young man who was drinking at breakfast, was passed out on the couch during daytime and night was pretty drunk. He was harmless, but I felt very uncomfortable. He always had a drink and was never "drinking with a crowd" but by himself. I felt bad for him, but I wish that the staff did something about it so that he wasn't around all the time.

A few other small touches could have also made my stay a bit nicer: hooks in the bathroom, trash cans in the bedrooms, perhaps some shelves in the dorm, all to be expected during the first few months of a new hostel. I definitely recommend that you check it out.

Room Tip: The dorm on the fourth floor is worth the hike! Overlooking the ocean and with balconies, amazing!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Cut my stay short because of several glaring problems. Continental breakfast was bananas, toast, jelly, peanut butter, and coffee every day! No hot water in the two public bathrooms on my floor. My room was very spartan. It didn't even have a table to set my computer on. Every day you needed a new log-in and password to use the wi-fi?! If you didn't log in within 1 hour you had to go get another one. The staff never showed any interest in me as a tourist. They never asked what I wanted to see, mentioned tours available, had suggestions or advice, etc. Basically I had to figure it out myself.

The location is good, just one block off Avenida Central, and it's clean. There is lots of annoying construction going on all over Casco Viejo. Postpone your trip for at least 3 months if possible.

If you arrive at Albrooks bus terminal, buy a Metro Bus card and put a couple of bucks on it. The new Metro Buses only use the card, not money. I found out the hard way.

The first thing you should do when you arrive in Casco Viejo is go to the Tourist Police station near the entrance to the French Plaza. They are very helpful and have an excellent map you can use to do a walking tour. I only found the station by accident.

The taxi to the Miraflores Locks should be $7-$10 either way. They'll say $20 so negotiate or find another taxi.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo