“Double billed for my stay”

Hilton Garden Inn Panama
Ranked #25 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
George Town
“Double billed for my stay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

All;
I booked online and advance paid for my room ($654.50 USD) also booked 1 KING BED EVOLUTION ROOM. When I arrived onsite they said that the room was not available and that they have another room with two double beds. I accepted the room and asked to get into the proper room the next day - they said no problem. The next day they moved me to the proper room. But when I left and got home I checked my credit card statement and they had billed me an additional $730.82 USD. I can understand paying additional charges for in room service - but bill me the difference don't just bill me again for what was already pre-paid. So I sent an email to the contact at the Hotel and yes they say they had made a mistake and I would be returning the payment. Still no credit on my card.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank VaneVasiliev
Tatiana A, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Panama, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
On behalf of all the Hotel Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Panama staff, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you've had during in your stay with your bill. We would like to thank you for your patience and consideration.
We are looking forward to offering an exceptional service and each of your comments will be taken into account.
You can count on us and your satisfaction is our priority.
We made your return of the payment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn for 8 nights. All in all, quality service and comfort as expected from Hilton. Details:

Room:
- Clean, comfortable and reasonably sized. Air conditioning in the room and throughout the hotel is ice cold which is great coming in from the Panamanian heat.
- Mini fridge and ice tray in each room – we made our own ice cubes with bottled water.
- English channels allowed us to watch shows such as Murder by the Book, Covert Affairs, Perception, Criminal Minds and CSI: Miami, and movies such as Along Came Polly and Seven Pounds.
- We only received 2 sets of towels throughout our stay though we paid extra for a third person and had an infant with us.
- Front Desk offered to switch rooms after our toilet became clogged a second time. The switch was quick and painless as they transported our luggage for us and gave us new keys immediately.
- Our cleaning lady on the 11th floor in our original room was very courteous and friendly even though she did not speak English. We remembered us even after we switched rooms and was very nice.

Free breakfast:
- The convenience of free breakfast was one of the main reasons we booked the hotel. Open until 10AM.
- Good variety including scrambled and hard boiled eggs, pancakes, bacon, hot dogs, toast and bread, cereal, Yoplait yogurt, fruit (watermelon, papaya, pineapple), coffee, tea, milk and blended fruit drinks. Hot cocoa is available for free upon request.
- It was nice to have an omelette bar for made-to-order omelettes with ingredients such as ham, onions, tomatoes, etc. The chef only spoke Spanish which was not a problem as the ingredients are laid out in front of you and you can point to what you would like or simply say “todos” for everything.
- Luis Carlos offered top notch service. Although his English is limited, he was always courteous and addressed us by name.

Location:
- Great, convenient location just steps away from car rental (Discount), dry cleaning, convenience store (Mini Super Frank), restaurants, casino (Fiesta Casino) and souvenir shops.
- McDonald’s, post office and an ATM are also a few blocks away.
- Easy to pick up a taxi as the hotel is on a busy street. I would recommend walking down the street from the hotel to catch one to avoid being charged absorbent “gringo” fares.

Room service:
- Room service was only from 5PM to 10PM which did inconvenience us at some points.
- That being said, food was delicious and reasonably priced – particularly the Toscana Fettuccini ($8.50) and Crispy Chicken Wrap which came with fries and salad ($8.50).
- Note that there’s a 7% and 10% charge on top of the listed prices.

Whirlpool:
- We booked this hotel under the pretense that there was a swimming pool on site. The swimming pool mentioned is actually a rooftop whirlpool which we were satisfied with.
- The whirlpool is on the 16th floor with an excellent city view, outdoor patio, shower, small waterfall and colored ambient lights. Whirlpool was open until 9PM daily.
- On one occasion, we had called Guest Services twice to request additional towels and for the whirlpool to be heated (it was cold) but our request was not met before we left the whirlpool.

Taxi:
- The hotel will arrange a private taxi for you if you would like – they have people standing by outside the hotel with walkie talkies.
- We used this service once from the hotel to Tocumen Airport. They originally asked for $40 for 3 people but the Front Desk was able to negotiate a better price of $25 for us. We ended up paying $28 including toll fares (2 x $1.40) which seems to be the norm. This fare was also cheaper than what we were charged from the Airport to the hotel ($30 but the driver originally asked for $45).

Other amenities:
- Business Center was usually available. It had 3 computers that are SD card compatible in case you want to back up your photos. Free and fast printing was a great feature that we did not expect but ended up using.
- Coin laundry is available on the main level for $2/wash and $2/dry, payable in USD quarters. Detergent is provided. Only note would be that you should be careful not to overload the dryer as your clothes might not come out completely dry if you do (same with any other dryer, really).
- 24 hour fitness room including treadmills with TV screens.
- Pavilion Pantry offers microwaveable food, batteries and other supplies. We did not purchase from it as a convenience store was steps away (Mini Super Frank) but it was nice to know that it was there in case.

Room Tip: As some of the other reviews might have mentioned, there is construction going on outside of the hot...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank reylear
Tatiana A, Public Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Panama, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for choosing our Hotel Hilton Garden Inn for your visited Panama City, at the same time, we would like to thank you for your wonderful comments.

Boca Raton, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

The room I was assigned was about the smallest I have come across in a Hilton property. The "exec" chair was at the side of the desk as there was no room to fit it between the end of the bed and the desk. Effectively making the desk useless
When I complained I was told that was the only size room they had, I asked them to transfer my reservation to the Doubletree which they did, I duly left
Throughout this the staff were very helpful

Room Tip: Make sure you establish the size of room when booking
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ian m
On behalf of all the Hotel Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Panama staff, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you've had during in your stay. We would like to thank you for your patience and consideration.
Portsmouth, Dominica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Excellent hotel with all the neccessary amenities of a Hilton hotel. It is very new and clean and superbly located in the buisness district, opposite to the Veneto and next to Apartahotel. The customer service by all employees was outstanding especially Miguel at the front desk who was always willing and helpful, also the front desk spoke English. We chose a room with with king bed and enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and wonderful little hot tub area at the top with great views. It is a very safe area to walk around at night, with some nice bars and restaurants in walking distance- especially enjoyed the peruvian food at Macchu Picchu restaurant, and the show at Las tinajas. There is a lot of construction in Panama city, so if a little noise bothers you then ask for a room facing away from construction- however this was not a problem for us as we were always out during the daytime. If you are looking for best price- try booking.com where we were able to get a rate of USD $75 per night , not including 10% tax. Overall panama city is a wonderful vacation- don't miss out the canal and casco antiguo- and Hilton garden inn is the newest most affordable place to stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank lennondave

Santa Clarita, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I had one night in Panama and stayed here for the good rate I got on Expedia and its central location. It's new so the room was great, very clean and comfy bed. The hotel is very business like, it's your standard Hilton Garden Inn. In fact you can't tell your in another country once inside, and that's both good and bad. It has no local feel to it.

OK so the pros: Free wifi in room plus a business center with 3 computers; large flat screen TV in room; free breakfast (at least with my booking); roof top jacuzzi with city views; accross the street from a casino if that's your thing.

Cons: no real cons except that I checked in at 3:30pm and the room wasn't ready until after 4pm.

Staff was friendly and helpful giving tips for sightseeing and local restaurants. Taxi to/from the airport is about $28 each way so might not be convenient if you have a quick layover but definitely a good place to stay if you have business in the city.

Room Tip: There is a new building under construction taking place behind the hotel so a front view room might...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank fmartin74
Tatiana A, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Panama, responded to this review, July 31, 2012

Tatiana A.
Montgomery, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

I selected this hotel based on the web claim of complimentary airport transfer. When I arrived there was no transfer. A nice bilingual gentleman at the airport used his cell phone to call the hotel for me where I was advised there was no shuttle. I paid $30 for a taxi. When I arrived at the hotel, the room was extremely hot. The refrigerator was hot and not even turned on. The ice machine on my floor was not hooked up. The bed mattress which was supposed to be adjustable did not work (maybe it was not plugged in?). The AC quit working during the night leaving the room uncomfortably warm. There were smears of what appeared to be glue on several door and wall surfaces in the room. I twice asked to speak to the manager and was promised that he would contact me. He never did. Now for the good: The rate was reasonable (I probably should not have expected the transfer to show up at that price). The location is good. It is in a walkable area with many restaurants and entertainment venues within a few minutes walk. The staff though poorly trained were eager to please. This property has much potential, but at this time is not ready for the Hilton name.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Huaschalocro
On behalf of all the Hotel Hilton Garden Inn Downtown Panama staff, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience that you've had during in your stay and also with the airport shuttle we make some changes in our page about this theme. We would like to thank you for your patience and consideration.

Tatiana Angulo
Santorini, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

My husband & I stayed at this lovely hotel for 2 nights (21 & 22 July) and were really impressed with the service, the comfort of our room, breakfast and overall value for money. I made the booking on bookings.com and was a little worried that I couldnt find a review on the hotel, but it was in a good location and the photos looked good, so we thought we would give it a try. The rate we booked was for room only & in the special requests section, I cheekily asked for complimentary breakfast. Surprisingly, they honoured my request, providing us with complimentary breakfast & it was fantastic with lovely fresh fruit, a good variety of hot & cold foods, great service and eggs cooked to order (yummy omelettes!). Being a hotelier myself, I would be proud to manage a property of this quality with such lovely well-trained and friendly staff. Well done Hilton!!

Room Tip: I booked a king room on bookings.com & ended up being allocated room 1009 which was very good...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple