“Excellent food”

Grapes Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #79 of 1,041 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant is situated in one of the rooms of a fully restored private mansion dating back to 1657 and is one of the very first structures built in the old fortified Spanish city. The original walls and arches are skillfully blended into a cosy dining and bar area. We have now expanded further into the old house and now offer private dining
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Great food and service :-) Both of us had Tuna Tartare, at a generous size, and Chicken Curry (which actually was like Rijstaffel) and both courses wew great.

1  Thank db2ernst
Bowie888, Owner at Grapes Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2014

Thank you for taking time to review us and especially for your kind comments. We really appreciate your support ! On behalf my hard working wife and all the staff many thanks and Happy Easter! See you soon. !

There are newer reviews for Grapes Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed April 12, 2014

Number 2 rated restaurant in Casco Antiguo on Degusta, Panama's version of Yelp. There's a reason for that - this is a great place! Both the seafood and the curry are fantastic. The place is small, so if you're clausterphobic and it's a busy night, be warned. Overall, very romantic with great food and (by Panama standards) acceptable service.

Bowie888, Owner at Grapes Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Thank you very much for the review. Actually we have now expanded upstairs so we are able to
reduce the overall sound levels but it's always quite a challenge as the "locals tend to get vocal"
when they are enjoying themselves !
If you se an old man at the bar sipping a cocktail on your next visit please say hello as I would love to meet up.

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Went with my sister on our 3-night stop in Panama, based on recommendations she received from friends. The restaurant was just up the street from where we were staying in Casco Viejo, and was elegantly appointed. As others have noted, it's a bit noisy, with all those hard surfaces, and we had a rowdy group near us. But the food was delicious.We were hooked immediately when the waiter brought a small bowl of fried yucca "sticks" with dipping sauces in lieu of bread. What a brilliant move to offer up tasty treats that way. I had the corvina (sea bass), which was delicate, well seasoned, and delicious. My sister claimed that the meat on her ribs fell right off the bone. And, of course, we ordered more yucca.

Bowie888, Owner at Grapes Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

So glad you enjoyed your visit. We have now opened upstairs so there are a lot more choices now including a private dining room . Thank you for posting a review

Reviewed March 29, 2014

Last week I returned to Grapes. It has now a second floor with a private meeting space. The architectural work is fantastic. The carved out the original walls, another wall has antique photos from the old city.The food continues to be spectacular. I had Corvina Grapes style. The fusion between Panamanian and American cuisine was perfect. The wine list was impressive. The service impeccable and amenable. It continues to be my favorite gastronomic spot in Panama

Bowie888, Owner at Grapes Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind review. It is all very encouraging especislly for me, as I lobbied hard to get the wife to agree the expansion into the old house! Yes they are all original walls built around 1670's . Amazing they still stand after nearly 400 years . Staff will all be happy at your post and that indeed motivates us all to keep trying our best to make our guests happy! By the way next visit try ending the eveniing around the coner at Pips......our late night club which is also managed by Grapes. Many thanks !

Reviewed March 23, 2014

After five months of traveling across 9 countries we chose grapes for our very last meal abroad before heading home the next morning. It also happened to be my birthday. After reading the Trip Advisor reviews I really liked that the owner responded to all of them personally. I especially liked that he defended the dress code of his restaurant. I'm sure you will read this and I hope that you continue to do so.

The food is amazing. We had the Octopus Carpaccio to start, the lamb and sea bass for diner. They even know how to make a martini.

The only thing is that the place gets rather loud. They have installed sound deadening foam under the tables. It is apparent that they are doing all they can and it's just the nature of the building.

Overall, fabulous.

Bowie888, Owner at Grapes Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Thank you so much for your kind remarks. We have now opened upstairs and sport a brand new private dining area. My wife says I can't go further into this beautiful old building (1670's) but I guess I will have to work on her to change her mind! Please help by returning often!