“Spendy, but nice”

Grapes Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #72 of 1,094 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Restaurant is situated in one of the rooms of a fully restored private mansion dating back to 1657 and is one of the very first structures built in the old fortified Spanish city. The original walls and arches are skillfully blended into a cosy dining and bar area. We have now expanded further into the old house and now offer private dining
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Best tuna ceviche hands down. All other appetizers good too. Mains were good, but just a notch below.

Room is a bit loud. Spendy.

Bowie888, Owner at Grapes Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2014

Glad you mainly enjoyed the visit. The locals get a bit vocal when out enjoying themselves and I'm sorry about the noise levels. However we are soon expanding further into this lovely 400 year old property and there willl be more area for guests plus private dining room. Opening this month- so
try us again to see the difference when next visiting the famous casco viejo area of Panama

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Grapes is a small restaurant; Perhaps only 12 tables. The dinner we had, in our party of six, was completely without anything that stood out. The menu only offered tried and true dishes, nothing that could be deemed a Grapes exclusive. The shared appetizers that were ordered was the Ceviche de Corvina Peruana, the Tuna Tartar, which I thought was the best dish including the main courses, Beef Carpaccio, and the Arepitas. Aside from the Tuna Tartar, the appetizers were only adequate. The main course I ordered was the Corvina Grapes. The edges were over cooked and the seasoning was bland. The skirt steak (entraña) that my wife ordered was also bland. This was the item most recommended by Degusta raters. In much lesser restaurants I have had better Corvina and Skirt Steak. The restaurant is nicely decorated, but not for such a tight dining room. All hard surfaces to reflect all the sounds. The volume of all the conversations and "Happy Birthday's, there were three celebrations, was extreme. We could barely have a conversation during dinner. I recommend that the owners of Grapes at least place real cloth tablecloths over the tables to absorb some of the sound. For the price and quality of our food and experience, I doubt if my wife & I will be returning to Grapes.

Bowie888, Owner at Grapes Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded November 22, 2013

We were sorry to hear that your dining experience at Grapes was not up to expectations. In regards the taste of the dishes which you refer to as "bland" we will discuss with the Chef to see how this could be rectified. Generally, the feed back on the menu tends to be pretty positive but I'm sure there is always room for improvement.
Your right that sometimes our clientele tend to get a bit noisey when they are enjoying themselves and I guess with so many birthdays, it might have been a bit "over the limit " that particular night. However, you will be pleased to know that we are shortly opening upstairs in another part of this wonderful old building (1672) where there will be more space, a private room
and white table cloths! I hope you will return and see if these changes and hopefully a less "bland " menu will meet with your approval .
Thank you so much in any case for posting a review as we value all feed back.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

When you walk into Grapes, it's like walking into a charming restaurant in Italy. The hardwood floors and cask-like decor let you know that wine is imminent!

We had 4 people in our group, and we had 5 items between us. Each dish was very good, and it was fun to try so many things on the menu.

We didn't have reservations but the hostess squeezed us in, and we appreciated that.

We are very glad you enjoyed the visit and appreciate your taking time to submit a review.

Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Had a very good meal... Shrimp cooked to perfection, beautiful salad with avocados, and a deliciously tart lemon meringue pie. My only complaint is the noise level. We were given a very large square table for the six of us. I couldn't hear the couple across from me. I could barely hear my husband next to me unless I leaned in. The keyboard music and conversations of other diners overwhelmed the good food. This was a Thursday night... Cannot imagine Friday or Saturday.

Bowie888, Owner at Grapes Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Firstly, thank you very much for the review and we are happy you enjoyed the food!
Yes, some nights it gets a bit noisey as our guests tend to relax and enjoy the atmosphere of a Grapes experience . At these times the "locals get vocal" but generally most don't notice !

Maybe they get over excited at being in such a world famous restaurant!

Good news is on the way though as we extend further into this old (1672) house . We hope to open the extension soon with more space and a private dining room. Hope to see you again and please let us know in advance so we can reserve a quiet corner for your party .

Reviewed October 9, 2013

we were lucky to be informed by the staff of our hotel about this place. We made reservations (needed) and dressed for the evening which was by al means great. The atmosphere and placing of the tables was great as was the lights it was just perfect. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the wines and did some nice suggestions. The menu gave us a variety of choices of meat and fish and tailor made orders were not a problem at all. The climate is nice: not too cold and the pace of serving the food is excellent (no rushing at all) We really admired this restaurant and had a great time here.

1  Thank HollandWanderer
Bowie888, Owner at Grapes Restaurant & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind remarks and especially for taking time out to write a review. ! It's very encouraging for all of here at Grapes to learn you had an enjoyable visit. We are expanding further into the house to accomodate the demand . Given the property was built in 1672 this has proved quite a challenge . We have taken over one of the bedrooms to facilitate this . Should be manageable given this beautiful old property has 11!
Hope to see you back soon!