“After 4 years, we return to Plaza Paitilla...some good, some not so good.”
Review of Plaza Paitilla Inn

Plaza Paitilla Inn
Ranked #44 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed March 15, 2012

When we last stayed in Plaza Paitilla it was undergoing a major renovation, lots of noise.
To review, best room views are rooms ending in 12-15 and ending in 01 or 02.

The rooms are now more comfortable with a split a/c unit instead of window units. More comfortable beds, and breakfast included.
Price is now up notably to about 120/night.
The value for the buck spent has dropped, however the view is still nice with a limited bay view and Cinta Costera/ Av Balboa.skyline.

Breakfast is a hot buffet with lots of choices and a few foods I've not seen before, but tasted good.

Hotel staff was courteous at all levels. Prompt responses to issues that we had worked well.

The issue we had was not enough towels. Nobody in housekeeping spoke any english. Translate on my 'smartphone' made language issues nearly non existent.

This brings me to my biggest tip for any stay in Panama. Get your smartphone unlocked so you can use local prepay SIM cards. You can purchase +Movil SIM at C&Wireless in Multiplaza by Riba Smith Grocery.(all taxi drivers know this entrance). Cost for SIM was a buck. For $8 we had two weeks of 1GB data to research, navigate, translate, etc. Much cheaper than 'data packs' from home.

Would we stay here again? Yes, if we're only in the city for a few days. If it was a week or longer, I'd rent an apartment from Panamacasa which to me gives a better value/$ spent.
Apartment for same price as a hotel.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank OccasionalTravellerz
There are newer reviews for Plaza Paitilla Inn

Reviewed March 15, 2012

I have stayed here many times over the years. I am slowly fading to other choices. Price and location are the two best things. If price changed, I would not return. Price can vary slightly but you should be able to get a room for slightly less than $100 a night. Breakfast is still optional. And it will add $12 a day or so. You can barter for small price discounts.

The young women at the desk do a good job. But there are not enough of them. The restaurant is better staffed in terms of quantity. The welcomed friendliness is lacking here. And even managers do not speak English, which is okay for me but will be a challenge for those who do not speak Spanish.

Building is circular, older, and rooms large with floor to ceiling windows. I have never stayed here without a sweeping grand view of skyline and water. I would not stay here without it. Bathrooms need some updating, tv remotes.

This is more of a business hotel and family hotel. Many years ago it was a big deal in panama. Now it is solid mid price value hotel. Location is good. It is the small things. Business center charges for things that are free in similar hotels. Maid service does not always replace everything.

If you want a hotel for $100 a night or so before discounts, this is a solid choice. Theresa is great on omelettes. Marleny is very good at breakfast. Cannot remember name of the tiny young spunky woman at the front desk. She was very good too.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank Rednikeb
Reviewed March 6, 2012

We stayed 3 nights on our way out of Panama. After traveling for 2 weeks and sleeping in many different (and hard) beds, it was great to sleep in a comfy bed for a change. We had a Jr. Suite on the 19th floor and got a great internet price. We actually booked the hotel online 4 hours before we arrived. The entire outside wall was floor to ceiling window that looked out over the bay and the city. I swear I woke up 3 times a nite just to check out the view. The breakfast buffet was average, but every one was very nice and helpful. It will never compete with the high end hotels, the room was not really fancy, and the ice machine was broken, but for us, the view made up for it. We were in 1915 and I would recommend it. For the money, I felt very pampered! There was even a little swimming pool.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room that looks over the bay!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank C B
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We spent 3 days in Panama after our Punta Cana's vacations. Rooms are confortable but a little bit old-fashioned. Breakfast could be better but is acceptable.
People at reception desk are very friendly and helpful. If you want to do shopping, the hotel is two blocks away from Multiplaza Mall and Hard Rock Cafe Panama.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I booked this hotel due to its excellent location right off Balboa and modest price when compared to other hotels in the area (Radisson Decapolis, Intercontinental Miramar, Le Meridien). I specifically requested a room with a great view, and was very happy with room 1514 for that reason. You can walk across the street to Multicentro Mall.

Other than the great view and location, this hotel is pretty outdated. There is nothing really bad, but many minor annoyances such as slow drains, poorly functioning AC/TV remotes, old/moldy smell to it when you get off the elevator, and slightly uncomfortable beds/pillows. The included breakfast was good, and the pool was very refreshing.

To me, the view/location was worth the price. However, if I got a room without a view, I would have been seriously disappointed.

Room Tip: The hotel is round and only some rooms have a great view of the bay. Make sure you specifically req...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank snsmith27
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I have stayed here many times since 2000,what makes it special is the terrific panoramic views of the ocean and causeway,and the general comfort.
The swimming pool is OK and the new addition of a cocktail bar much appreciated !
More enjoyable staying here than many five star hotels in Panama.

Room Tip: Be polite at reception and patient.
  • Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NewWorldTraveller16
Reviewed November 29, 2011

The rooms, the food and the attention are good. Is a good option in Panama City. Is better if you can choose a room in a higher floor and now over the meeting rooms or near the avenue because those are too noisy.

Room Tip: Higher floor with bay view. other ones are too noisy
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business