“Convenient for one night layover”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Riande Aeropuerto

Riande Aeropuerto
Ranked #34 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Southern California
“Convenient for one night layover”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2013

We stayed here for a night due to a long layover. It's not the least expensive place but it's close to the airport so it's either this or pay for a cab to take you into town and back. The food was good and the atmosphere was nice. Lots of people hanging out in the lounge area having drinks and/or dinner probably due to long layovers as well. It was clean and comfortable with a pool that appeared to be open at night.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
St. Paul, MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Spent a night here prior to airport departure from Tocumen early the next morning. They have upgraded facilities from previous time we spent here 8 years ago, and seem to want to appear to be a "luxury resort" but they are not meeting the mark. Service was consistently aloof and borderline-unfriendly to requests. They made us pay extra for minor children staying with us, to the tune of $22 each, in addition to already-high price for quality of room, despite reserving and already paying for four persons on online reservation. Other hotels in Panama CIty do not charge for children staying with parents in a room. They seem to take advantage of no other hotel being as close to airport, and without competition, charge a lot for minimal quality.

The room was small. We walk in and it was horribly hot and humid in there. Not a good first impression. Asked bellperson how to turn on A/C. Only one electrical outlet in the entire room, not enough to recharge electronics. Weird thing about the room--you have to put your key-card in a slot to turn on the lights in the room ,and when you take it out to leave, all the lights turn off, and electronics stop charging. So, one person takes the key to go out of the room and the rest are in the dark. Weird.

Toilet in room didn't flush well--low water pressure, so had to call maintenance to fix it. Also, toilet paper holder fell off. Daughter couldn't get hot water to work for shower--again, unusual setup and took about 10 min for it to warm up. Not enough towels for four people-even though we reserved for 4, only towels for 2 people. Had to call to get more.

Business center had only one working computer (of 5), and the no ability to print out boarding passes, so had to ask, and their policy is to send them to check-in desk and they will print. Then, they balked at how many pieces of paper printed, and were surly about doing it, despite my "asking very nicely".

Morning "breakfast buffet" was beautifully set-up, but food was poor quality. Not much variety, and much of it lukewarm and not well prepared. Maybe equivalent to a cheap 1-2 star US hotel food.

Shuttle service was great, and right on time. No issues and driver was friendly.

Pool area is nicely landscaped, but after dark, almost no lights around it are lit, only a few tiki lamps--makes for unsafe walking around the grounds or you will fall. But, there are lights set up--just not lit. Takes energy conservation to a whole new level.

Would not recommend this, and even though others are farther, would find someplace else next time.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KittyGirl34
Juan G, General Manager at Riande Aeropuerto, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear KittyGirl34,
I appreciate your comments but many of them don't match with the reality of the Hotel. All our romos have three plugs and two in the bathroom.
We are a Eco-Friendly Hotel, in our romos we have the card system to reduce the energy consumption. If you needed another card you can be able to ask for in the front desk.
We apologize for the inconvenience in the Business Center, that day we face problems with our Internet Supplier, the next day everything was resolved.
As for your comment about the breakfast, I do not share that opinión. Our free breakfast is very complete; included several types of bread, fruits, yogurt, eggs, ham, bacon, cheese, pancakes or waffles, different types of juice, tea, coffee and hot chocolate. We can't be compared with a 1 or 2 star hotel.
On your next visit to Panama please contact me aeropuerto@riandehoteles.net and I will gladly recommend another Hotel.
Boquete, Panama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Ask for the jubilado discount, and the rack rate for the room leaps to $220 so they can claim they're giving you the discount. I've been in hotels around the world, and neither their rooms nor their hotel are not worth anything like $220 a night. They're just ripping off people because they're still the only airport hotel. If there was another one, and I hope there will be soon, I will never return to this place. If there is any way to avoid going to this hotel, unless your flight is at 7am, stay somewhere else, anywhere else, at much better hotels in the city. I stayed at the hotel in March and unfortunately I have to stay there again this month and got the same rate scam.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Juan G, General Manager at Riande Aeropuerto, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Mr Tom,
I´m afraid the jubilado and pensionado discount apply only to the rack rates, not only at the our hotel at any business in Panama. Your discount lowers your rate down 50% off on weekdays down to U$110.00 including taxes and 30% off on weekends.
I think your comments and assessments hotel are not correct, you will find a modern hotel with clean rooms, comfortable beds, good service, excellent location and transport included return to the airport at a preferential rate of U$110.00.

Regards,
Juan Garrido
Vancouver, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2013

If this hotel had an elevator and if the staff spoke better English I would have given it a very good rating. The wifi did not work when we checked in. It was only several hours later after one of the staff resent the router that it worked. Breakfast nor what was on the menu was not designed for the very healthy conscious. The ambiance was very good. The grounds, decor and tropical atmosphere was excellent. There is a reliable shuttle service to and from the airport and also to two different shopping malls. To extend my stay I was asked to go into their office and it seemed to be a cumbersome process. Renovations are being done on some of the ground floor rooms and workers start about 7 am.

Room Tip: Try and get a room on the first floor looking towards the courtyard.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
San José, San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

I enjoyed my second stay at the Riande. The hotel is in a good location for a short stay; close to the airport and 10 minutes from Metromall.The facilities are clean. I liked the interior decor of the rooms- very modern. I had a room on the ground floor with a terrace view of the pool. There was also a snack machine very close by.

My first stay, my room was not so conveniently located. I had a lot of walking to do that first time around!

On both my trips though, I found the staff a little bit aloof and not that warm. On my first stay I remember that one of the waitresses in the restaurant actually did not pay much attention to my request for hot water for the tea. The second time around I noticed that my safe was sealed on arriving and instead of contacting someone to assist me in opening it, I was told to return to my room and call a number to have someone come. I ended up not bothering with using the safe.

I had travelled to a Caribbean island in February and the atmosphere at the hotel there was a lot warmer. Staff smiled at you all the time and referred to you by your name whereas not once did I encounter a smile from the staff at the Riande. The only smile I received on my trip was the airhostess on the plane from Panama to San José!

Apart from that I would visit with my family again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the ground floor pool side are nice.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

We chose the Riande because of its location - 5 minutes from the International Airport, but were surprised at the beauty of the facility. The ambiance is pleasantly tropical and the pool is clean.

There is some remodeling going on, so it's possible that some things might not work as well as you would like. The lights in our room were not working - even after a technician came and checked things out. They offered a new room, but we chose to go to Dinner before deciding. When we returned, everything worked!

The maids were kind, courteous and quick. The front desk folks were slow and rather disinterested. the welcoming porters were wonderful. The morning buffet was skimpy but OK. Three hot dishes, dry cereal (with fantastic nuts) and three different kinds of fresh fruit.

We will use this hotel whenever we overnight in Panama City.

You will love the pool area.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor. The views are better and much of the remodeling has been completed there.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Lobby is very artsy and very helpful hotel porter. The staff does speak reasonably good English so it's easy to communicate your necessities to them - towels, breakfast voucher, etc.

The outside bar is great and surrounded by Panama's greenery. We enjoyed our free first drink aka night cap outside without much mosquitoes bothering us.

As for the rooms, the beds are double so if you are sharing a room with more than 2, I would suggest a another room. Our booking also had breakfast and a bottle of wine added so it was a great bonus to have by all!n Showers are the rain shower right from the ceiling.Modern and clean.

The pool wasn't busy but very serene with the water falls and it blocks a lot of the outdoor noise ie traffic, cars and planes. Huge with a swim up bar. I was with family so I didn't drink as socially. Towels available beside the pool but ask the bar staff and they will direct you to the right area.

Didn't check out the casino but there is a lot of security/policia running around the casino to the lobby and front of the hotel.

The trip to the airport from the hotel is 5 mins. There is free shuttle to the airport but my family drove me so check with the staff about their schedule.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family