“Amazing Staff, Great sangrias!”
Review of Hotel DeVille

Hotel DeVille
Ranked #65 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed January 31, 2012

From the moment we entered Hotel DeVille, we were greeted by the most beautiful smiles and engaging personalities of the women (Anik) working the front desk. They could not have been more gracious and helpful. Our room was a good value - it was very large, impeccably clean and well appointed. There was no view to speak of, but we weren't in the room during the day, so it didn't matter. The restaurant has some very nice tapas and serve the best white sangrias I have ever tasted! I'd highly recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you, ask some questions first....
1  Thank LauraGrace1126

Reviewed January 30, 2012

This hotel is a gem nested between the skyscrapers of the modern Panama. We had a great stay.
We booked the hotel through Ancon Expedition, who organized a great 4-day Panama trip for my wife and I.
I was looking for some charm, in addition to comfort, and I was very pleased I found both in spades. The hotel has only 33 rooms, beautifully furnished in a European style from early century and has a lot of charm. There are plenty of hotels in central Panama but they all seem to be a big worldwide chain with modern deco. We were looking for something more authentic for our trip.
The hotel is very centrally located to all main restuaruant and attractions, the beds are very comfortable, bathroom is spacious and finished with real marble and the staff was helpful and corteous.
Really nice hotel!

2  Thank Sea_Man_6
Reviewed January 24, 2012

The hotel is lovely, well-apponited, and formal yet maintains a small hotel ambiance. .The room was clean. Its located in the middle of the city, great location quiet and safe.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2012

First, I have to say that the bed we had was absolutely the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. The linens are high quality and the mattress is supreme. The room was VERY clean and spacious, and the bathroom was very nice-- large shower, pretty sink area, etc. The room is dark and there's no view, but this doesn't matter because the hotel is located in a dense area and so there is no scenery.

There are a couple of good restaurants very close by. We went to Beirut, which had surprisingly good Lebanese fare.

Staff was friendly and helpful, and there was always someone around when we needed something. Good value considering other options.

Hotel is about 15 minutes from the regional airport and about 20-25 minutes from the international airport. Taxis aren't cheap-- don't expect to pay much less than you would in the States. We paid about $30 each way.

Great hotel. We had no complaints. Also, breakfast was pretty good, with a lot of options.

p.s. Don't come to Panama expecting good coffee. We could never find any.

3  Thank Elizabeth F
Reviewed January 15, 2012

First, the positives: Fantastic location on the edge of el Cangrejo, near everything but quiet and safe.

Pleasant, mostly accomodating multi-lingual staff.

Large, clean, quiet rooms.

Huge bathroom with good amenities, robes, slippers, lots of towels, etc.

Decent, filling breakfast included (fair, not gourmet).

However, this is not a 5-star hotel. No matter what rate you pay, don't expect 5-star quality or service (and I pity anyone who pays the hotel's listed rack rate). I found a "Stay two nights, get the third night free" deal on Orbitz, which made the price more reasonable in my case. Perhaps because I had this discount they put me in an older room (the hotel didn't seem too crowded). Arriving late at night, I didn't bother asking to see other rooms, and anyway the deficiencies were not immediately evident.

First of all, when I arrived there was no one to help with the bags out front at the taxi stand, and I was left to lug my stuff up the stairs and navigate the front door alone. Only after I was inside the lobby with my luggage on a cart did a bellhop finally appear.

At check-in there was no orientation about the hotel or area, and no maps or information were offered. I had to ask about where breakfast would be served and at what time.

The room was large and clean, but there was no view or natural light and the setup was strange. For example, the TV was not visible from the couch, only from one of the two beds. It was a tiny, old non-HD television anyway so watching it was nothing special.

The bed was comfortable, but the headboard was noisy and banged into the wall if you moved.

There were several cracks in the paint on the ceiling and walls.

There were some mildew stains in the shower.

To summarize, the DeVille Hotel is a clean, quiet, safe option in a very convenient location, but it's overpriced and nothing special, really.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank NYCTraveler1967
Alex D, General Manager at Hotel DeVille, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

First, thank you for the feedback, this helps us to concentrate on improving our service whenever a deficiency is pointed out to us.
We apologise for the shortcomings in baggage attention and initial orientation, the staff in those departments are now fully trained.
We are in the process of replacing our old TV sets for modern and larger flatscreen ones and expecto to finish replacing all by end January, with almost all rooms have been replaced already.

Reviewed January 11, 2012

We stayed here on either end of our Panama adventure. Most of the staff were very helpful, accommodating our needs with warmth and efficiency. Rooms are large and comfortable with AC. No view from the rooms but we weren't in them long enough to coplain. The suites are interesting - very high ceilings in the living area making for a climb up the lovely banistered stairs to the upper bedroom. A nice assortment is served for breakfast in a lovely if out of way room on the lobby level.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I stayed a few days on a bussines trip last August at the Hotel and I was greeted at the reception by Miss Candy with a lovely smile and friendly attitude. Her and Jose made sure my stay was as pleasent as the comodity of my own home. I travel often to Panama City and I always stay at the Hotel Deville for its great service and welcoming environment. It also has a great location. I strongly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business