“Don't miss”

and up
Authentic Embera Indian Village Tour
Ranked #20 of 155 Tours in Panama City
More attraction details
Owner description: Join with me as an authentic Embera guide I will give to you thrusful, deep information as no one,have the opportunity to learn about my culture, believe, tradition of the real Embera experience.
Arkansas
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Don't miss”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Judy Tovar at Easytravel@cwpanama.net was a dream to work with. Daniel, our guide, picked the 8 of us up at the Bristol hotel before 8. A quick stop for fresh fruit at a road side market to be prepared for our lunch and we were off on an amazing adventure. Cesar met us in his handmade, motorized canoe for a scenic ride thru a pristine world, landing on an area isolated from the villages. He led us on a hike thru the rainforest to an amazing waterfall with water so clear you could count the individual stones on the bottom of the pool. Back in the village we ate delicious fish and plantains cooked over an open fire, served in a banana leaf, flower bedecked wrap. Natives, dressed minimally in the most vibrant fabrics, demonstrated basket weaving, woodcarving and palm nut carving. (The palm nut carvings were half the price of the ones sold at the Panama Canal.). There was little bargaining, but all were quality products. We joined in dancing with them. they are the most beautiful people and an example of how little it takes to be happy. like adventure tours so this one pleased me more than our canal tour.

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Razorsue

NYC
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Garceth is the best!”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Accommodating would be an understatement. It was as if we were given a tour by a villager. The difference is that this one came and left with us. He even went swimming in the river with us. As a side note, I needed to get a phone card. This gentleman actually took us into the mall, facilitated it's purchase and made sure it worked before we parted ways. A plethora of knowledge we learned so much on the tour. His only concern was that we were taken care of. He knew the answers to the all of the annoying questions we asked. He was the ultimate guide and I would recommend him to anyone. One note, this is the real deal. The villagers are allowing you to be their guests and experience how they live. Be respectful and not the ugly tourists and remember, when the solar flare hits and paralyzes us all, they even wont realize something has changed.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank AndyC C
Williamsburg
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Trip to Puru Embera village with Garceth”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We took the trip with Garceth. It seemed to us from the tours we read about that this would be the least visited village. The canoe ride was through some of the most beautiful areas. Garceth pointed out areas of interest on the way. Upon arrival and greeting, we were treated to a long explanation and demonstration of many items of their way of life. We asked so many additional questions and felt we learned much about them and their culture and life. After that we had a lunch prepared of fish and plantains along with a huge mound of pineapple and melon. All was fresh and tasted good. Some of us went on a hike to learn about plants they use in daily life. A couple of us stayed in the village and were pleasantly surprised to find a young girl who spoke fairly good English. She had stayed with a Missionary and learned the language there. We enjoyed sitting around and getting to know her and her family and she asked us about our lives back home. While our life styles are so different, we are all the same when it comes to children and families.
We did have an opportunity to buy some beautiful baskets, carvings and silver jewelry. Our biggest disappointment was that we didn't bring more money. I would have liked to buy more. It was an amazing trip and I will never forget it. Garceth was excellent and took the time to make sure we understood the people and their culture. I would recommend this very highly. I was skeptical because I was concerned it would be too "touristy". The young lady we met did say when they have visitors it is a day off of work for them and they enjoy it very much.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank Janis B
Denver, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great Trip with Garceth”
Reviewed November 29, 2012

Garceth, as an Embera Indian himself, brings additional information and background to this unique tour. We rode to the Embera Puru Village in a dugout canoe, which in itself was like going back in time. The villagers were very friendly and welcoming as they shared information about their lifestyle, creating handicrafts, and day to day life. We had a hike through the jungle with a healer who pointed out different plants used in healing and then we had a delicious meal served in a leaf bowl. The villagers performed several dances and we were all invited to join in.This was a very special tour. Don't miss learning more about this unique culture.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank Mary4491
Oregon, Ohio
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Dont miss!!!”
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I took the tour with emberavillagetours.com and Anne was our guide. She is from the USA but married one of the Embera men after meeting him while working on a documentary filmed in the village. This is one of those once in a lifetime experiences that I am so glad I didnt miss. The Embara people are very nice and the children was beautiful. They loved having their photos taken and the lunch they prepared for us was delcious. I highly recommend contacting Anne for the experience.

Visited November 2012