“Internet service need major improvement”

Riande Granada Urban Hotel
Ranked #33 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

The location, room and the environment is very good feel just like home. However, the internet service provided is not good at all. The speed is low in the range of 0.1Mbps and you got the login page every time you reconnect to the wifi. Not a good choice if you need internet for some work and entertainment.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
RiandeHoteles, Guest Relations Manager at Riande Granada Urban Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear guest,

On behalf of the entire staff at the Riande Granada Urban Hotel and with some delay, I would like to thank you for choosing us as your home when in Panama and for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Please know that we have recently upgraded our internet service and that if you choose to stay with us again you will see improvement in speed. Thank you for your constructive comment.

I hope to welcome you back very soon and wish you a pleasant day.7

There are newer reviews for Riande Granada Urban Hotel

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Room was modern and clean. Even got tickets for a free drink in the bar. Unfortunately, when we tried to use them, we were told that there was a private party and so we could not get a drink in the bar. Restaurant was a bit pricey so we didn't eat in the evening. Breakfast was good. Good location but we wouldn't stay there again. No customer service.

Room Tip: oom 205. Noise at night from adjoining rooms and hallway - very noisy and coud not sleep well.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jerry M
RiandeHoteles, Guest Relations Manager at Riande Granada Urban Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

Dear Jerry,

On behalf of the entire staff at Riande Granada Urban Hotel, I would like to thank you for chosing to stay with us when visiting Panama.

I am glad you enjoyed our clean and modern rooms as well as our fresh buffet breakfast.

Also, I would like to apologize for the inconvenience of not being able to use your welcome drink. On the day you stayed with us, we indeed had an event at Stay Lounge. Since our guests are our #1 priority, when Stay Lounge is occupied, we offer guests the possibility to use their welcome drink at the bar of our signature restaurant SOLO. Our staff should have told you this and I apoogize if it was not the case. Please know this policy has been reclarified and our staff is now well aware of it.

Jerry, I hope you will change your mind and give Riande Granada Urban Hotel another chance. For your next stay, please contact me directly at janetmay@riandehoteles.net and I will make sure we make your stay a more enjoyable one.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Structurally solid building. Décor was very nice (probably best and most notable part of the hotel but furniture in lobby not so great which was the only thing really wrong with the hotel. Layout was nice and easy to get around in. Location of the hotel good but could be a little better. Friendliness of staff very good with very few exceptions.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
RiandeHoteles, Guest Relations Manager at Riande Granada Urban Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Dear Orlando,

On behalf of the entire staff at the Riande Granada Urban Hotel, I would like to thank you for choosing us as your home when visiting Panama.

We appreciate the time you took to give us your feedback and value your opinion. I regret the lobby furniture was not to your liking, it is true that our style is unique and after all, there's no accounting for taste. Your positive comment about our staff's friendliness has been commun

Thank you for sharing your opinion on TripAdvisor, we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed here a couple of nights and really enjoyed it. The place is about 40 years old but recently got a face lift (no idea what it looked like before). It is funky/modern/aesthetically pleasing. I really have no complaints about the hotel at all. No place will be perfect and there could be some minor improvements made, but none were deal breakers.

I am happy to report that the transportation of theirs was really at the airport and waiting for me (and a couple) as soon as I walked out the door. Granted, I had to notice his shirt's small emblem as there was no sign he was holding with my name on it. Regardless, he was there. I do think the management should know that he drove like a maniac though. It was Friday afternoon and some traffic on the highway. But it was like he was driving to a fire or something. Not sure why the rush. He also drove like that taking me and someone else back to the airport. I was a little scared honestly. I don't know if the speed limit was indeed 100 km/h but he topped out at 145-150 (90 mph). I'm glad there was hardly any traffic, but again...why? This was dangerous and he really should be told to do the speed limit. It makes the hotel look bad, IMHO.

Anyway, the room was awesome, clean and comfortable. Wi-fi worked great. Only annoyance being you had to sign in again to it if your computer went to sleep or was turned off. And I had to launch IE to do that...it didn't work using chrome, but I just went to chrome after that.

The staff was very nice and some did speak English which was good considering my Spanish is not up to par for long conversations or describing problems in detail. My hair drier did not work (they had a UK style adapter on it) but once mentioned, it was changed out within a couple of hours. I did have to ask for my free welcome drink ticket upon arrival which was good for a rum and coke or punch. The bar was nice. I didn't eat at Solo, as the prices were a bit high for what it was. You can also order at the bar. Another couple told me the burger on the menu which was described as having peppers or something like that on it did not come with those, just lettuce and tomato so they felt sort of short changed on that. Granted, menu descriptions should match what you get. They didn't say anything about it.

The shopping district around the corner was outstanding! I spent a couple hundred in the first few hours...but prices were good. Albrook mall had good prices as well but it was so huge it was overwhelming.

They provided me with a guide to take me to Miraflores Locks at the canal and to the mall for $40. It cost $8 to get into the locks. I was told a taxi should cost $5 from the mall back to the hotel. The driver I waved down tried for $10 and I got him down to 7 (with a dollar tip).

The hotel at night is neat looking, with blue lights and don't fail to chill on the 'rooftop'. That being only the 2nd or 3rd floor, not actually ON the roof. You get to it by going up steps from the pool. There is a hot tub there which was new although I didn't feel it had been disinfected very well or cleaned all that recently. It still worked fine and was good to soothe my muscles in. They could really do a lot up there, as there's a bar and a lot of seating. No view really and no lighting (except some tiki torches which did nothing for the lighting) but it was ok. Nobody was really there so it was fine.

They do have a security guard and always seemed to have a few people out front so I did feel safe. I didn't venture out at night though. Not because of the safety issue, I just didn't want to. The grocery store across the street ROCKED. I live in Costa Rica and they had stuff there I can't buy in CR. Prices were great too. I actually bought my dinner there (shrimp, wine, bread, cheese, grapes) and stocked up on other things to bring back home with me. Mall prices were at or cheaper than the U.S. You can bring US dollars no problem...it's 1:1 there.

The breakfast buffet (buy it with your room) was totally worth the $4 or whatever it was extra. It was good...make your own waffles and they had fruit, cereal, breads, meats, cheeses, juices. It was different the next day so it wasn't like going to a chain hotel where it's always the same.

The pool was nice but it was strange in that there was no circulation vents in it...just a concrete pool with no little doors for catching what floats on top. Didn't smell of chlorine at all so again, I didn't feel that it was very well disinfected. The sun hit it from about 9am til 3pm. The bathrooms for the pool were amazing! Really beautiful and modern inside. The spa was locked so I don't know what was in there. The business center had Mac's and large screens, an ATM machine and you can send your print job to the front desk. They say they charge $.50 but I wasn't charged for one page. Speaking of that, to make the @ sign on that keyboard, they have a little note on the keyboard itself which I didn't see at first as to how to do it. Oh, and their reputation in my head got even better when I heard Zero 7 in their house mix while at the pool. Love it!!!

There was some confusion upon checkout with the ride back to the airport and due to my lack of knowing spanish, they had to get an employee to explain it to me in addition to how the billing worked...but all was well.

One night there was a bit of noise made my guests coming in late at night 2:30 and 3:30 am but it was mostly rudeness on their part. Shouting to each other and slamming doors. Really, people? Be kind to other guests who are sleeping...c'mon...it's common sense.

I would absolutely go again. The room with tax came to about $93 (single/King/Breakfast) and you can't beat the location. I can't believe the low rating on here (63% at this writing). Don't let it turn you off. GO!!!

Room Tip: I was facing the opposite side of the pool, meaning all I could see were buildings, not the pool. I...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
RiandeHoteles, Guest Relations Manager at Riande Granada Urban Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Hotrodgurl,

On behalf of the entire staff at the Riande Granada Urban Hotel, I would like to thank you again for choosing us as your home when visiting Panama and for your detailed comment with many helpful tips for travelers.

We are pleased to know that our brand new facilities were to your liking and that you enjoyed the unique style of our hotel. We celebrated the launch of our new image in April 2013 and are proud to offer our guests with a modern and stylish hotel.

I’m happy to hear you were able to take advantage of all the facilities we have to offer, that you enjoyed our swimming pool, Jacuzzi, outdoor terrace, business centre and central location. Our spa will open its doors to public promptly. Please know that hygiene is of prime importance for us: we keep our swimming pool and Jacuzzi spotless, they are cleaned entirely minimum once a week with machines and disinfectant, twice a week when occupation is high. Same goes for the Jacuzzi so no there is no need to worry about cleanliness of the water.

Your positive comments about service has been communicated to our staff members and your impressions on our driver’s driving habits as well.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and sharing tips about Panama with other travelers. I hope to welcome you back at Riande Granada Urban Hotel very soon.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in July for almost a month and didn’t want to leave… The hotel is in El Cangrejo; you can walk because things are close and if you don’t want to, taxis drive in front of the hotel all day.

I think they recently renovated the hotel because everything looks new. The furniture is original, the design is chic. The rooms and lobby were spotless and I even saw someone put the lift out of order to clean it.

GREAT service! Everyone at the Riande is friendly. The staff smiles and is helpful to give recommendations about the city. Service usually isn’t great in Panama City so I was really impressed with the staff here.

Food: the breakfast is nice, with eggs, toasts, fresh fruits, waffles and cheese. It’s a shame they don’t have brunch on Sunday because it would be popular... The food at the Solo restaurant in the evening is amazing, one of the nicest meals I had in Panama. As nice as a gastro restaurant in Europe!

I enjoyed my stay very much and can only recommend this place. I would definitely go back.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
RiandeHoteles, Guest Relations Manager at Riande Granada Urban Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Dear Bannenb1502,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on TripAdvisor, we value your opinion very much.

You were under the impression everything looked new and you were right, it is! We inaugurated our brand new facilites in April 2013. The Riande Granada has existed for more than 40 years but we are now proud to say that we offer a modern, fresh hotel product to better satisfy our guests.

Please know that we have communicated your compliments to our staff members and they are all very proud to have exceeded your expectations. Our chef David Quesada is glad you enjoyed his signature cooking. Your comment about brunch has also been taken into account and we are thinking of offering this service in the future.

Bannenb1502, once again, thank you for your positive review. Know that we will be more than happy to welcome you back at the Riande Granada Urban Hotel next time you visit our beautiful country.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

The design of this hotel is really modern. It's really well located in the center of panama. The pool is really big and nice. The staff is very nice and the food is amazing! We were really glad to stay there during our trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hanzade1
RiandeHoteles, Guest Relations Manager at Riande Granada Urban Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear Hanzade,

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at our fully renovated hotel and that the pool was to your liking. The Solo Restaurant is home to Spanish chef David Quesada and is ranked as one of the nicest restaurants in the city by locals (see degustapanama.com for more information) so I am glad you enjoyed the food. Most of all we are delighted to hear that you found our staff very nice, because providing great service is our first goal.

Hanzade, thank you again for taking the time to give us your opinion. We hope to welcome your other half and yourself very soon.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I usually don’t comment on my stays; however, I had to make an exception with this hotel. I ended up at Granada Urban Hotel because a friend who stayed there earlier this year highly recommended it. The Hotel is newly renovated; the lobby is very spacious and has a nice lounge bar at the entrance. The rooms are very comfortable and the decoration delightful. But the best memory I take with myself is without a doubt Solo Restaurant. Not only was the service superb, but the food was delicious…from the bread they serve you at the beginning which is addictive, to the appetizers, main dishes and desserts. I will definitively miss eating here. I cannot end my review without commenting on the hotel’s service; everyone was always helpful and cordial.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
RiandeHoteles, Guest Relations Manager at Riande Granada Urban Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2013

Dear Maria,

On behalf of the entire staff at the Riande Granada Urban Hotel, I would like to thank you again for choosing us as your home when visiting Panama. And thank you to your friend who recommended us!

We are pleased to know that our renovated facilities where to your liking and that you enjoyed the unique style of the Riande Granada. Your positive comment about the Solo Restaurant has been communicated to our restaurant staff and they are proud to have exceeded your expectations.

Most of all we are delighted to hear that you found our staff helpful and cordial, as this is an area we are constantly trying to improve.

Maria, we hope to welcome you very soon at the Riande Granada Urban Hotel.