“Friendly staff, good room”

Crowne Plaza Panama
Ranked #37 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed August 1, 2009

While I wasn't wild about Panama City overall, I enjoyed staying at this hotel. The staff were really nice and remembered my name, and the room was clean and comfortable. I had to pay for Internet access but the connection was fast. Breakfast was pretty good too. I enjoyed swimming at the fourth floor pool one evening; had it to myself. A good business stay.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Panama

Reviewed June 11, 2009

I'm elite in the InterContinental program and was upgraded to what was essentially a one bedroom apt even though I booked the lowest room rate. Kitchen area had a full size frig and included a reasonably priced mini-bar. Dining table for 4. Bedroom was in a separate room.

Rooms were very clean, looked new, bed was very comfortable, front desk helpful. I would definitely stay here again. Only negative was very expensive Internet.

Only stayed one night. For what I paid and what I received, this was bargain. Even without the upgrade, this is an above average Crowne Plaza.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2009

The Good: Clean, safe and secure. Great service from front desk staff and bellhops. Good sized rooms with comfortable beds. Located in a safe and busy area with several hotels, casinos, shopping, and restaurants within walking distance.

The Bad: Hotel is fairly dead compared to others in the area which obviously had more guests and better a vibe overall. Small, un-inviting restaurant and bar. Hotel lacked personality. Noisy rooms on road side of hotel and I could hear everything the people in the room next to me were saying (although earplugs that they put in the rooms help).

The Ugly: Wireless Internet service is a rip-off. Spotty coverage and so slow it was a complete waste of money. Don't even bother.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 13, 2009

I spent two days in Panama for leisure, on the way back from a business trip. I had booked a room in the Crowne Plaza because I was looking for a hotel with a free shuttle from the airport, with internet and a swimming pool, and that would be centrally located. I was thoroughly disappointed. Although I had been told on the phone that there would be a shuttle, when I arrived at the airport no shuttle was to be seen. I had to pay for a taxi although that was exactly what I had meant to avoid in the first place. Next thing I find out is that the internet does not work, although I've paid 15 USD for it. When calling the reception, I'm told (in an unapologetic way) that it only works on certain floors (so, if you intend to use the internet don't take a room on the 11th floor). The swimming pool is tiny and you can't swim in there. Ironically, the hotel next door (Hotel El Panama) has a huge beautiful pool that you can see from the Crowne Plaza, with nice tables and chairs around it so you can enjoy breakfast and dinner at the pool (while the Crown Plaza restaurant hasn't got a single window). Finally, I wonder why Crowne Plaza Panama, located in a tropical region with a lot of rainfall and water resources, needs to choose "Evian" and "Fiji", imported from other continents, as its mineral water. This is not very environmentally friendly. Finally, if you're looking for a "cozy" hotel, this isn't what you're looking for. The rooms are tiled and breathe a cold atmosphere.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank ParisParis_2009
Reviewed November 10, 2008

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Panama on two occasions in November. I stayed here for one night both times.

The beds are very, very comfortable. The rooms are modern, although internet cost $41 for 72 hrs. Things are extremely quiet around the hotel -- and I was occupying a room during the independence parade that was right on the Via Espana!

I was greeted to the Crowne Plaza by a bell-boy who helped me settle an issue with a taxi driver who was trying to overcharge me.

The rooms, although non-smoking, still faintly smell like smoke. Also: if you are interested in the SleepAdvantage program, you may have to ask the front desk. Both rooms I occupied did not have any of the SleepAdvantage features.

Decor wise, the hotel is very much more Holiday Inn than Hilton. It is comfortable, but sterile and very bland. The pool area is kind of depressing.

However, the location is absolutely perfect and the service is typical of any three-star hotel in the US.

The breakfast buffet is also very good.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 25, 2008

WE stayed one night upon arrival in Panama & one night prior to leaving. I upgraded our package trip to stay in the Crown Plaza because I think of them as a deluxe hotel. This was just average. The room was clean but nothing special. Most of the staff was very helpful but we received a call late on the last night saying we owed money for a phone call which we did not make & the lady kept arguing with me. It was cleared up the next morning at reception but was an annoyance. We had to leave the hotel at 4:30AM for our flight & the staff got us a boxed breakfast to take with us which I thought was very nice.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2008

we have just return from 5 days at Crown Plaza. check-in was really fast and people of staff were very helpful and nice. the rooms are nice, clean and very comfortable. breakfast is delicious and the service at the restaurant is excelent.
The only thing I didn't like is the non-smoking policy, you have to go outside to smoke because is not allowed inside the hotel, I think they should have some smoking rooms.
our experience at the hotel was wonderful, I'd stay there again without a doubt.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Carogomezlo