Business takes me to Panama City once a year. I've been staying at the Crowne Plaza for two weeks at a time since 2008. I very much enjoy my time at this property and would recommend it to others. Specifically...
1. Location. Nicely situated in "El Cangrejo" district; within walking distance of many fine restaurants, Ave. Balboa, Calle Uruguay, shopping on Via Espana and an easy taxi ride to other destinations. There are limos parked in the front with drivers that will give you tours (if you want a full service experience). Otherwise, walk one block down to Via Espana and hail your own cab. (About $5-6 to the Causeway or Casco Viejo)
2. Staff. Always very helpful. I've never had an unpleasant interaction in all my stays (total of ten weeks). Everyone, including front desk, doormen, cleaning crew, food service, has been great.
3. Property. Very pleasant, comfortable, clean and fairly modern rooms and facilities. I'm not quite sure where some other complaints come from, especially the "worn" or "tired" ones. Maybe I've been lucky. I would concur that the tile floors in the hallways and rooms can make for loud footsteps and door closings, but these are fairly modest frustrations. Given Panama's humidity tile floors are clearly the way to go. As far as the church bells go (Iglesia del Carmen) it's true they can be heard, but they don't go off in the middle of the night. Yes, if possible get a room on the opposite side (east) from the church. However most of those rooms will be suites (hence even if you request a room away from the church you may not get one). If you join the Priority Club there's a chance you might get an upgrade. Finally the fitness room is small and the equipment in there could stand improvements. A treadmill was out of order during most of one of my visits a few years ago. There is a small pool on the fourth-floor terrace which is good mostly for a quick cool down or just lounging around. The terrace offers very lovely views of the El Cangrejo/Bella Vista skyline at the end of the day. One final comment about the suites: they are sizeable rooms with a bedroom, sitting area and kitchenette (microwave, full size refrigerator, sink). The disadvantage to the suite is the bathroom space is a bit smaller. There is a separate grooming area (sink/mirror) then a closed room for a toilet/tub-shower. The grooming area is right next to the bed so when one person is using a sink (e.g brushing teeth or shaving) it's going to unavoidably disturb someone still trying to sleep. This is a design issue with the building and not a reflection on how the property is managed. In the grand scheme of things it's not a deal-breaker, at least for me.
4. Food. The lobby restaurant offers an excellent breakfast buffet. I've never been there for lunch or dinner. There is also a cozy sports bar with reasonably good "pub grub".
Overall I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this property. I'm looking forward to my next stay!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As you walk into the marble-floored lobby with grand columns and modern furnishings, you'll be greeted by the warm, welcoming staff of our Crowne Plaza(R) Panama hotel. And, if you're seeking hotels near the Panama Canal or near the banking area, we're just minutes from both destinations. Ideal for corporate travelers, our accommodations include a Business Center with personal computers and copy, print and fax capabilities. We have five banquet rooms, which can host parties of 200, and perks like Daily Meeting Debriefs by a dedicated Crowne Meetings Director, making us "The Place to Meet" in Panama City, Panama. When our hotel's guests choose to stay with us, they are only a few miles from first-class restaurants, nice casinos and great shopping. Pick up souvenirs from the Multiplaza Shopping Center and Albrook Mall, walk down to Casco Viejo, the historic sector of the city, or catch a performance at the National Theater. In addition, guests need travel only two miles from our hotel's location to reach the Panama Canal. After a long day of touring Panama City, Panama, our hotel's facilities can help you relax. Enjoy a traditional dish at our on-site restaurant, La Galeria, then grab a nightcap at the Memories Sports Bar & Lounge. With a Fitness Center, outdoor pool and the Crowne Plaza Sleep Advantage(R) Program, we have everything you need to stay comfortable. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Crowne Plaza Panama reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Panama Hotel Panama City
- Crowne Plaza Panama City
- Panama City Crowne Plaza
- Crowne Plaza Panama Panama City