All reviews fourth floor del carmen average hotel business trip small gym upgraded to a suite convenient location room service light sleeper internet access our room was spacious front desk staff buffet breakfast hotel staff coffee maker the financial district bells
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Nice location. But the rooms and especially the bath room is not nice. Small , worn out and dark. Also the room keeping is bad. One day newspaper next day not. Same For the Ammenities.
Would not stay again. Positive was the very friendly reception at the check in and platinum recognition.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank catman52
Marielos O, Manager at Crowne Plaza Panama, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear catman52
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience at our hotel. We regret to know that we did not meet your expectations. Actually, we are in the process of updating our rooms which will include a better lighting. As for the inconvenient with the newspaper and amenities we have taken corrective measures to avoid these inconveniences in the future.
We are pleased to hear that you had a good experience at check in. Our main goal is to offer an excellent service and your feedback as a Priority Club Platinum member is most valuable to us.
We cordially invite you to give us another opportunity so we can compensate this negative experience and upgrade you to one of our more spacious suites and make of your next stay with us a most enjoyable one.
We do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in a future visit to Panama.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Avenue Manuel Espinosa Batista - Marino En Transisto

Popular as a comfortable and safe respite for seamen transferring to/from their vessels.

The service is excellent. You will be greeted, and checked-in swiftly. Remember to mention your Priority Club number. It was helpful for me, (up for 42 hours straight) and an extended checkout time gave me time for a much needed nap.

They have an excellent restaurant on-site. There was an 'India influenced' buffet on Friday, which was good. Otherwise the menu offers many varieties of fresh fish and tropical fruits. Try the tuna salad. There is also a bar onsite.

This location is very convenient to the University of Interamerica (Universidad
Interamericana de Panama), which is at the end of the street. The beautiful Iglesia del Carmen church is across the street.

I have taken several walks in the neighborhood. Just go right (NW) and turn at the end of the block onto Eusebio A. Morales Ave.. There are shops and a casino, as well as a variety of restaudrants on Via Veneto, a short distance NE.

Room Tip: Remember to mention your Priority Club number.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Marielos O, Manager at Crowne Plaza Panama, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Jeff S
Thank you for taking of your valuable time to write about your recent stay at our hotel. All our efforts are directed to offer an excellent service, therefore your positive comments about your experience with us, make us feel proud to know we are accomplishing our goal. Thank you again for your feedback and we do look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Overall, I was very pleased with this hotel in all aspects.

Front desk staff were courteous and helpful. As a Platinum Priority Club member I believe my room was upgraded to a suite with small kitchen, and I also received a complementary bottle of water and small plate of fruit (see photos), which was great!

The hotel is pretty centrally located. I didn't have time to explore on foot, but it seemed a convenient location for traveling by taxi.

The room was spacious and clean with good lighting and decor that wasn't hideous.

The upper floors offer lovely views of the city.

The pool area (4th floor?) is quite nice - or I'm sure it would be had it not been pouring rain my entire visit...

Having traveled a few months ago now, the hotel does not stick out in my mind all that much. Which only means that it was quite good and without any problems. Perhaps not a remarkable hotel, but a very solid choice.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Kiwibeandip
Juan P, Manager at Crowne Plaza Panama, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Guest, thank you for your review. Our Staff work hard every day in order to satisfy the needs of our guests and give them an excellent customer service.

We aprecciate your positive comments and hope to see you again very soon.

Best Regards

Juan Peralta R
Food & Beverage Manager

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I will start by applauding the staff of this property. Every single member of staff I came into contact with was top notch. They are friendly and helpful, and anxious to assist. If I was only rating the staff, they would get five stars. But, overall, I give this property just an average rating.

The property has been renovated recently so cosmetically, all looks good. The hallway on my floor was very wide and well-lit, which is a nice change for a hotel. However, everything from the hallway to the guest room is tiled floor. In theory, this seems like a great way to keep things clean; however, sound travels with all that tile. Guest room doors slam closed at all hours of the night which will rattle even the sound sleepers. It's nearly impossible to close these doors quietly.

The room had a mini fridge, which was nice, but it was largely filled with stuff for sale. There was enough room to squeeze a couple items in though.

The room is equiped with a "green" system that only turns the power on in the room when you insert your room key into a slot near the door. This was great from a "green" perspective, but it was a little annoying to come back in after a long, hot day of sightseeing to a room with stale hot air. Though, the system seemed to recover quickly enough.

Speaking of the air conditioning, this was my biggest complaint about the room. As it turned on and off, it made a loud clunking noise that woke me up throughout the night. Loud AC systems in hotels is one of my pet peeves, and I often just turn it off to avoid the noise. However, that's just not possible in Panama this time of year, or probably any time of year for that matter. It's just too hot! So, I found myself sleeping with a pillow over my head to drown out the noise.

Other noise issue- the church bells. If you read other reviews, you will see this over and over again. It's no joke. They ring to call to church at 6:00 a.m. and to dismiss at 7:00 a.m. Same thing in the evening. We asked for a room not facing the church, but ended up with one facing the church.

Next complaint--no hot water. I tried showering both in morning and evening with no luck. I would turn the water all the way to hot and still only ever have either cold or barely luke warm water. This is another one of my pet peeves with hotels though. I like a hot shower, not luke warm.

The fitness room was disappointing. Equipment did not work properly, and even if you started out OK, the equipment almost always quit working before the workout was complete.

Wifi was expensive and spotty. Sometimes the connection was fine and I was able to Skype with my husband without issue. Other times, I had to connect and re-connect many times which made Skype impossible and even checking email annoying.

Breakfast was good in the restaurant. I was a big fan of the coffee, something that I don't normally drink. I also had dinner one night and went with a tropical seabass that was delicious.

Location was OK for me, but it depends where you want to be closest too. So before you pick any hotel in Panama City, figure out where you want to visit and find a good hotel closest to those areas. Transportation is a nightmare in Panama City.

Lastly, I will just mention that the transportation arrangements made through the hotel were excellent. Drivers were courteous and safe. You will pay 3-5 times more than what you would pay a yellow cab off the street, but if you are even a little antsy with crazy drivers, pay the money for the VIP transportation. Trust me! People drive like maniacs in Panama City!

Room Tip: Don't get a room that faces the church unless you want to get wakened at 6:00 a.m. and 7:00 a.m. The church bells call to church and then chime again when dismissed.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MeetingPlanner_01
Marielos O, Manager at Crowne Plaza Panama, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Dear MeetingPlanner_01
We thank you for taking the time to write about your experience during your recent stay at our hotel. Our mail goal is to offer and excellent service, therefore,your comments are extremely valuable to us as they will help us improve certain aspects mentioned in your review. We would be most gladly to welcome you back in a future visit to Panama to make of your stay with us a most enjoyable experience.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

While in Panama City, we stayed at the Crowne Plaza. First of all, it is too far from the waterfront. Secondly, it does not offer Wifi for free. I paid $150 a night and then they charged me $15 per day for Wifi and it was only for one device. I tried to connect with my tablet after connecting with my laptop but couldn't. I called the front desk and they said "well you have to pay another $15 per day for a second device." The pool is very small. The ice machine had no ice most of the time. Finally, the church nearby has very loud bells which wake you up every morning. Overall, I would not recommend and will not return.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Marielos O, Manager at Crowne Plaza Panama, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Dear American CR
Thank you for your valuable comments about your recent stay at our hotel. We regret we did not meet your expectations. Even though we are not ocean front, we cordially invite you to stay during your next visit to Panama as we are conveniently located in the shopping and commercial area.
Thank you again for your comments, they help us take corrective measures in areas you mentioned that we may improve.