Crowne Plaza Panama
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel El Panama(Panama City)
View Hotel
Aparthotel Torres de Alba(Panama City)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Metro Hotel Panama(Panama City)
View Hotel
All reviewschurch bellsfrequent travelersubway stationrestaurant staffbusiness tripupgraded to a suitepleasant staybusiness hotelconvenient locationroom serviceour room was spaciousinternet accesschange roomslight sleeperoutdoor poolbuffet breakfastspecial thanks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 22, 2011

I stay here about 1x/year for business. Be sure to take earplugs...it's in a very loud location. On one side is the El Panama pool (and the late evening parties) on the other is a major street (and the party buses). I always take earplugs when headed to this hotel.

The bar food and room service are fine. Not too expensive. Hotel restaurant is expensive. It's a close walk to many decent, not-overly-priced restaurants.

The wifi is very spotty. It works great on the main level but I often have trouble connecting in my room, no matter where the room is located.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
5  Thank jenngregg
IHGCare, ihgcare at Crowne Plaza Panama, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2011

Dear Jenngregg,

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. I appreciated your observations and advice. We are continually striving to improve the hospitality we offer, and comments from our guests are always welcome. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed December 12, 2011

I've been in several Crown Plaza Hotels and I think, this hotel is not as well valued for what you pay. I mean in general is a nice place with all the gear and facilities however, I think the hotel needs renovation. Not that there is anything critically bad in the hotel, it is just that it is getting old. The carpets are old, the beds and furnitures are old, like a flash back from the 80's and all it is just old, except for the coffee maker and smaller gear. This doesnt mean that they are dirty or the appliances dont work, it is just not what you expect from Crown Plaza and the price you pay.

The great thing for sure it is the breakfast, it is a buffett type of setting with ommelets made up to your taste, and fresh fruits and everything else... it is quiet complete, make you book a room that offers the breakfast as well, ypu wont regret it... Or if not just pay for it... I think it is 12 dollars, but it is worth it... It will keep you running way past noon! LOL

And the maid service was good and puntual, however that front desk needs to be trained better in servicing international guess who do not manage Spanish well, or English... They have too remember that their English is not as good as a native speaker either... Plus, to the management thay have to remember that they are living in a globalized world and they are a center for hospitality FOR this globalized world, and their staff can not make Racist remarks to the guests, like calling someone by their racial profile... They have to train better their staff.

I will upload some pics later...

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank datony
Reviewed December 10, 2011

If you are expecting a top rated Crowne Plaza hotel...forget it. A review has to take into account value for money and there are no saving graces in this respect for this hotel. After a 12 hour flight from Amsterdam and long wait at Panama immigration the last thing you want is to arrive at hotel to find reception full of people singing and lighting Christmas tree lights if this means that hotel guests are totally ignored. The noise was so loud I was shouting with receptionist to get heard and I was being pushed and shoved all the time. I was then told lifts were not working and to use service entrance but no one to help with my suitcases or show me the way. I was made to feel that I was an inconvenience. Room smelt musty, well worn tiled floors and a general drab feeling, and this was an executive room !!
Bath tub took 15 minutes to fill and as long to empty and water was only even moderately hot. Given code for Internet, for which I had paid and it did not work and no one could do anything about it until the next day. Then as room over looked main road it was subjected to traffic noise and disco at weekends BUT the rooms overlooking back of hotel faired no better as they seemed to suffer disco noise from rave type club every night of week. Facilities in Executive lounge including food and drinks was very limited to what one would normally expect and closed all weekend BUT no notice given of this fact. If you needed anything from front desk...be prepared for long wait. I waited some 15 minutes to just ask if could have some photocopies.Girl was on reception alone trying to answer phones and generally do four jobs at once. In the days I stayed, as I was working I was in my room longer than usual guests...it seemed to give everyone an excuse not to understand me..so my room was not serviced for three days. I do not speak much Spanish so if others did not wish to do something instead of trying to help I just got a blank stare. No one was occupying the room next door for one night...and at 6am in the morning I was woken because the wake-up alarm was going off...an as room have adjoining doors the alarm sounded as if in my room. It took 45 minutes to get anyone to come and switch it off...and no apology or anything. I was made to feel it was my fault. As to Executive services...compared with other hotels for same price...very poor value for money. Other services pool and gym very small. Gym did have one good StarTrac machine but if five people were using the gym..the place was full. Only plus side was was "Donvipula" the Sri Lankan chef...he came to chat with guests to ensure they were enjoying food and this compared, with the rest of what really is a run down hotel 2 star pretending to be 4 star, was the only good thing to mention about Crowne Plaza Panama.

Room Tip: It really is going to be pot luck but if I HAD to return there again I would still opt for room overlooking the main road as the noise I heard from the rave disco at back of hotel did seem to be everynight.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank travelaurauk
Reviewed September 15, 2011

as a crown plaza, i supoused it was going to be in better condition. property seems to be little old and the rooms are big, but the furniture and rhe tv are old, also the bathroom. people is really nice and location is just in the middle of the hotel area. a supermarket Rey is close at walking distance. also plenty of restaurants in the area. dont know cost of a room, because i was invited. maybe for same price you can book better or newer hotel' also the noise from the halls is loudly heard inside the rooms

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2011

My husband and I took a 5-night trip to Panama City, and I wanted a good location, high speed Internet (I had to do some work), clean hotel. This fit the bill for us exactly. When someone in my family offered to transfer Priority Club points to us, that limited our options (in terms of getting a free stay) and so I didn't really have much choice but to stay here. Despite the reviews here, especially regarding the noise, I decided to go for it, and I did bring earplugs. We were in room 504, which is at least not on the front-end of the church, but it is across the street from the church. With my earplugs in and the curtains drawn to keep out the light, I was able to sleep as late as I wanted and not hear a thing. My husband did not wear earplugs, even though I kept offering them, and he was fine with the bells. It may depend on your location in the hotel. The hotel itself was quiet.

There was a small fridge with some minibar items, but we were able to take out some of those items to make room for our own items that we purchased from the Rey supermarket on Via Espania. The staff was very polite and professional. Some of them were fully bilingual and the others knew enough English to get by (and we don't speak Spanish). The food at the breakfast was fine. We didn't pay for it (I asked about it, and never really got a straight answer, but it may have been related to Priority Club) and the Internet worked great. The regular menu was fine. Some of the items were really good and some were OK. The chicken dishes were good and the flan was very good. Easy walk or cab to tons of great restaurants. The room was clean and did not smell of anything. The beds were comfortable. The water pressure in the shower was a little low and it did not get real hot, but that wasn't a problem for me. I forgot to check out the pool. We were so busy with the sights of Panama City we never made it to the pool. Again, the staff there were very warm and helpful. The decor was nothing special, but that's not important to me. It was a great base to explore the city.

Room Tip: clean, quiet
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple