“Inexpensive, great location, big suites, plain furniture”

Aparthotel Torres de Alba
Ranked #44 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Toronto, Canada
“Inexpensive, great location, big suites, plain furniture”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I liked this hotel. It's nothing lavish. Suites are large and sort of Comfort Inn feeling inside. But... you get a real bedroom, and living room, and kitchen, and washer/dryer, for a Comfort Inn price dead in the heart of Panama City right across the street from the Veneto Casino. Good neighborhood around the hotel too for restaurants.

A little tough to get help at the front desk though. The staff is friendly and tries, but I was sort of stunned when I asked one of the receptionists what the name of the street the hotel was on. She didn't know. I literally pointed out the front lobby window at the street and asked what it was called so I could get my bearings on a map to look for a restaurant. She didn't know what the street's name was. Another at the desk didn't know any restaurants at all to recommend. Not one. Strange. Didn't put me off at all on the hotel, but definitely something the management should try to fix.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Florida
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I have only tried two hotels in this town, but I can't imagine anything better. it is fairly expensive but look at all you get! I was in the new tower and I had a lovely, clean, spacious suite with a living room, kitchen, laundry and a beautiful large bedroom. the best art of all was the view - I should say views - because these suites are so designed that you get a view from two sides. They even have blinds that move up and down by pressing a switch on the wall. I did not cook because there are just too many wonderful restaurants within walking distance. But it was good to have the kitchen for making coffee and also to use the refrigerator.

NOTE On the first night I was in the old tower. If you can possibly afford it you must choose the new tower. It is so much better,

Room Tip: The best views are on the high floors. If possible get floors 15 and up. There are 24 floors
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
new york
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Booking was easy and I dealt with Derek Lashley who could not have been more helpful and replied always very promptly. Easy check in and lovely room on a high floor. We were only there one night and had an excellent breakfast with eggs anyway you want them. For dinner we went to Pommodoro, about 50 yards away...good fun, atmosphere and the food is fine....would recommend it....sit outside in the back.
We had the hotel order a car for us from the airport....we are always near the front and only have hand baggage so were outside and met our driver very promptly. He then said we had to wait for two other paassengers. I said we do not do wait and we got our own taxi which was easy and even saved some money.
Overall we very much enjoyed the hotel and would return on our next visit to Panama

Room Tip: ask for high up with a view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have stayed here two times and I have enjoyed the hotel both times. If you stay in the adjacent towers, I would recommend Tower 1 because it is closer to the Lobby elevators. It is very comfortable with a separate bedroom. It has a living room with 2 couches & TV. The dining room is connected to the living room. There is a washer & dryer, refrigerator, microwave, stove, etc. I love the area where it is located. There is a Casino across the street and numerous restaurants within walking distance. This time my room was right on the street so the traffic noise got a bit loud for trying to sleep.

Room Tip: Tower 1 away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Puerto Viejo de Talamanca, Costa Rica
Reviewed February 2, 2013

A friend and I were most impressed by our visit to Torres de Alba. We stayed in a one bedroom suite in tower 1 for under $100, with a lovely buffet breakfast served on the patio by the pool. This hotel actually lets you get sun by the pool, unlike most I know in Panama City.

I was not expecting a full suite, so the full kitchen with laundry machines surprised me. The living and dining areas were very comfortable, and the large, full marble bathroom had a shower with plenty of hot water and big towels.

I found the near-empty gym to be very well equipped and comfortable. Staff were uniformly pleasant and helpful. I plan to stay here again with my wife in the future.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Arthur G
University Park, Florida
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Just spent 4 days in Panama City, business and pleasure and stayed at this apartment/hotel. I had read previous reviews and they are accurate. I booked in tower 2 for under $100/day including taxes and a wonderful free breakfast daily. It also has a modern and fully equipped gym. The rooms in the older tower are dated except for the modern bath room with an awesome shower. The kitchen had a washer dryer in it, you buy the detergent and minimal cutlery and glasses. I complained there was no coffee maker and 20 minutes later a 10 cup was at the door. There's a mini mart close by and bought coffee, beer and water the important stuff. :-) The living room had a new 36" LG flat screen but the bedroom which is decent sized, hard mattress didn't have a TV, complained again and a NEW LG 36" was btought up and installed. WONDERFUL SERVICE!!
The hotel is centrally located in the city, the Veneto and its casino is across the the street as is the Wine Bar, reasonable Italian entres as well as a large list of good wines and reasonable prices.
My next trip in march I'm going to try the new tower, about 35-40 dollars more per day but more upscale and worth the price.

Room Tip: I stayed on 12th floor, there's only 4 rooms/floor, ask for #4 (2124) great views and away from...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank sib715
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed January 22, 2013

Our family of five (3 kids 12 and under) had a MARVELOUS experience at Torres de Alba. We stayed three nights over the new year (2013). Beautiful lobby with very friendly and helpful reception staff. We loved the spacious suite that accommodated our family well (one child slept on a couch with extra bedding provided). Great views of the city from our 8th floor room. It was also wonderful to have a washer/dryer in the suite and kids loved that there was a pool. Within walking distance (10-12 minutes?) to El Rey grocery store which is like any large US grocery store, including lots of US products.
Fantastic breakfast buffet: 4-5 hot foods that changed each morning, boiled eggs, made-to-order omelettes, delicious raisin bread!!!, toast, cheeses, deli meat, yogurt, cranberries, raisins, granola, oatmeal, 4-5 fresh fruits, juice and coffee
We would highly recommend this hotel to all our friends and family. An excellent value for your money.
I’d give it 4.5 stars. Three improvements that would make it 5 stars for me:
*provide a large fry pan in kitchen. There was only one small fry pan and we had to cook our meat in batches
*have a recycling program. I hate having the wonderful use of a kitchen but having to dump plastic/cans/cardboard in the garbage
*clearly state on a breakfast buffet open to children that the drink (rum punch) is an alcoholic beverage - this would be really helpful for parents and children to know!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family