“not good value” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #54 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
st. louis
“not good value”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

We had a group of about 30 people here, and the entire experience was a bit of an ordeal. The rooms smelled stale, the facility was sparse, and the staff acts like you are bothering them when you talk to them. I realize it is a 4Points, but having stayed at other 4Points I was expecting more. There are a lot of other good hotels in the same area for the same price, and I would suggest one of them instead.

I stay in hotels about 150 nights a year for work, so it was a real bummer this was a letdown for our group.

Room Tip: book in a different hotel, all of their rooms are very well used.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Polish first
Somerset
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

DIY toast is a good idea, but it would be nice if the toaster was in full working order. Only having a four slice toaster for this size hotel is bad enough but with only half working was a joke..
On another point please be warned if you book room 101 sleep will not be possible due to being next to the swimming pool pumping equipment!! We were given this room and asked to be moved, which we were eventually but only to the floor above. A better room size-wise but still within hearing distance of the dreaded noisy pump. It felt like moving from a room with a tractor in the room to having a car with us. Other people in our group, on higher floors, mentioned the noise at breakfast next morning so we realised there was no point in asking to be moved again.
Please try to get a response from the 'barmaid' we tried and tried but to no avail, she obviously did not want to be there! On a positive point the hotel is in a good position and there is a shopping mall in walking distance which includes an Hard Rock Cafe!

Room Tip: dont have a low number on any floor!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Panama City hotels

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

This was my 2nd visit to Panama City. Half the time when I am on business travel I stay at Sheratons. I had stayed at Sheraton Panama Hotel & Convention Center in my last visit. Compared to that I find this hotel at a more convenient location. Lots of restaurants in walking distance. Although I did like the food at the hotel restaurant too. A couple of malls just in 1 mile radius. If you are looking to go on city tour then there is a bus service leaving every 1 hour from the malls. You can also try your luck at the Casino adjacent to the hotel.

Coming to negatives, I did face some problem for not knowing Spanish (local language). I expected the staff to be trained in English. As a matter of fact the taxi drivers knew better English than the hotel staff.

Room Tip: Higher floor room has view, lower floors are blocked
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
LA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

This Four Points was such a disappointment.
I know it's not meant to be a 5 star hotel, but the service was crap and the rooms were dirty!
The mouthwash in the bathroom was opened!
Room service food was horrible.
Room smelt moldy and was very dark.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

I would not recommend staying here unless you have a really good rate - under $75 perhaps. There are much better alternatives in the area. The Sheraton which is not too far (though not really walkable to anything) is light years better than four points. The Le Meridien is very close but comes at a higher price tag.

The good
The location (walking distance to a street with restaurants and nightlife), the rooftop pool, the sauna

The bad
The hotel appears to hire front desk staff which is half asleep. They are slow and perhaps training for their first day on the job. Zalena, who checked me in couldn't find my reservation. No problem I gave her the confirmation number. After some time she could find it. Then:

- room switching - I was given a room. The key didn't work. We got a new key and left our stuff and went out for a few hours. When I returned I got some replacement keys (because I left mine in the room) and was told that my room number was wrong and that it was impossible that this was my room. I told him that it was reality because my stuff was already in my room. I thought that someone else was given my room for a moment. Initially I was upgraded to a suite but reassigned to a non suite and told to change rooms. No assistance was offered. I asked a few other questions below and only after clearing up that I was in fact a platinum member, I was reassigned to a third room, similar to the original. In the first room the toilet had not been cleaned. In the second room the toilet was broken (a service person came quickly and fixed the broken toilet)

- one free cocktail per person as per my reservation - when I asked about it, I got a blank stare. I showed her the confirmation and then she got it and pointed to some drinks that were brought for some other guests. When none were delivered, I asked again. Nothing. When I asked at the bar a few hours later the bartender didn't have any idea what I was asking about (understandably he didn't speak English). I asked again at the front desk to a different person and blank stare. Later two fruit punches were delivered to my room. While that was nice, they are not cocktails which came with the room rate that I booked.

- breakfast - It should be included for platinum members but when I asked I was told no. "Even for platinum members? No." When I returned to the hotel I asked again and same answer. When I pointed to platinum sign on the desk, something registered in his mind and now there was a breakfast included.

- at breakfast - we were the first people to arrive as we had a kayaking tour that morning. There were two people working the restaurant. I stood at the omelet station and waited for someone. The cook was not too far away but was very busy - I was watching him looking at the posters that were hung up along the walls of the restaurant. After a couple minutes of standing in front of the omelet station I waved him down and he came over.

- smells - the 8th floor just smells bad

- platinum welcome points - the front desk has no idea what a platinum welcome amenity is, nor did they know what platinum was

- the room is typical of a four points (i.e. fairly cheap). The bedding is not what you would find at other Starwood brand.

I booked a prepaid rate of $99 including taxes and two cocktails which didn't exist. I would consider this hotel a good value for perhaps $60-70 (even considering the staff being a bit clueless), though I still prefer the Sheraton Panama City.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank herzog00
Roberto D, Gerente at Sercotel Panama Princess, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear guest
Warm greetings from your hotel Four Points by Sheraton Panama
We express our sincere apologies for the inconveniences presented during his last visit, we notify you that your comments have been taken very seriously in the meeting of senior hotel executives to improve on all the points mentioned.
Our main objective is to achieve full satisfaction of all our guests, for us it is important to know your opinion on the hospitality service we provide to our guests.
We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again and exceed your expectations as well as thank you for your patience and tolerance.
Best regards,
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

I stayed in this hotel in November; the staff was very friendly. Unfortunately the facility has not been upgraded since 1984. Stay elsewhere a bit dingy and gross. Sheets and towel were very old and worn.
A bit of humid smell about the place; there are better hotels in Panama for the same price point.

Room Tip: Get a room on the club level
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

The people at the front desk are very friendly but English was a major problem for most of them. Like others have said, the room was adequate but in need of an update and ours was noisy too boot, and yes the breakfast was pretty bad and way over priced (it wasn't included in our case). Also, the internet was an issue for us as well and no ice machines, we had to call for it. After a few days we found a little Coffee Shop one street over called the Café de Paris where the coffee and breakfast was 10 times better and for much less, and the few restaurants just across the street are much better, so we avoided the hotel food from that point on. This being our first trip to Panama we stayed at this hotel for 3 nights and moved on. I would consider it a good starting point but no more and it's in a safe area.

Room Tip: Don't settle for the first room they give you if you don't like it, ours was noisy and we st...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple