“I felt GOD!”

Ranked #14 of 170 things to do in Panama City
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Built soon after the first Spanish settlement in the 16th century, this small church features the famous Golden Altar (Altar de Oro), which is made entirely of pure gold.
Nassau, Bahamas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I felt GOD!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Thich s so beautiful! I cried. I felt the presence of God so strongly here. I thought it was a beautiful addition to our walking tour of the city!

When I walked in I was greeted with the sound of Monks singing! Then as I walked around and took pictures I realized it was a place that had to be experienced becasue my camera was not capturing its beauty!

Visited September 2012

Diriamba, Nicaragua
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Impressive altar!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

The story behind the altar makes the church interesting. There was someone who spoke English who told us the history of the church. Easy to miss.

Visited March 2013
Lebanon, Indiana
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Golden Altar firsthand”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

Interesting historic site. Thankfully we had our own guide to give us information and we could not find any English information at the church.

Visited February 2013
New York City, New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“The Golden Altar”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Walking into the Casco Antiguo section of Panama City is a walk through colonial history. The San Jose Church is a beautiful example of a cololnial era church with a wealth of history from the time Captain Morgan ransacked Panama City and luckily this beautiful church was saved. The golden alter is breathtaking in its size, detail, and color....a pure feast for the eyes and if you are a history lover this is a must on your list.

Visited January 2013
Panama City Beach, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Love Old Churches”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

Panama City has some beautiful churches in the area. If you like old, then I recommend visiting their churches

Visited January 2013