“Nice trip!”

Ranked #20 of 180 things to do in Panama City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This 265-hectare national treasure is located within Panama City’s Ancon district, and is the only protected area in Central America located within city boundaries. Standing along the Panama Canal’s eastern shore, it’s home to dozens of species of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians and trees. With lookout points, four well-marked trails, a scenic road and a Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute canopy crane structure, guests can explore on their own. The Park also offers guided tours to groups for a fee (five-person minimum) if booked well in advance.
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Visit Metropolitan National park in center of the big City - Panama City , Panama. Lovely walk, you can enjoy large old trees, buterflies and more!

2  Thank AFRPanama

Reviewed September 7, 2012

I truly enjoyed my trip to the Metropoloitan Park. I went early in the morning to see the animals. I saw lots of birds and butterflies, turtles, a monkey, coati's and some kind of big rodent.

It's an easy hike, even if you takke the longer more advanced trails to the outlook point from which you can see the city. The trees are also pretty amazing.

It's amazing to be in a rainforest that is soo full of life and so close to the city.

Bring soome water and snacks with you, some good walking shoes and enjoy

Best time to see the animals is early in the morning. Park opens at 6AM.

4  Thank ellisveen
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I never made it to soberina, the task to get there seem daunting so I went to this park three times instead. I learned to pay the taxi $2.00 fare for one person and I always tipped an extra 50 cents. Drivers tried to charge more than double the rate when I asked for the rate upfront. Don't ask the taxi rate ever! Just pay when you get out.

I hiked all the loops and saw monkeys once, a toucan once, an aligator once in the turtle pond, a bunch of neat lizards each time and leaf cutter ants everytime.

The interpetive signs are all about byrophytes (moss) and included microscopic pictures of moss and liverwort leaf cells. The signs were amazing for a bryologist to see but the bryophytes themselves were a bit of a let down as they were very small.

The loop that is across the road did not feel as safe to me since there was not gaurd there and there were roads on both sides. I'm a gringo female and I hiked alone. The walked to the look out on the main trail was nice with many interesting plants and animals and it felt safe to keep my very expensive camera out in the open at all times.

The cost to get in was $2.00, the bottled water was $1.00. They had maps of the city in there and I wish I had seen them before the end of my trip because we had trouble locating a road map for Panama.

5  Thank Freddy J
Reviewed August 22, 2012

On a hot day, we left the aircon of the mall to explore the park. It was the best couple of dollars we spent on holiday. There were very few people there so we were able to explore the well kept tracks that weaved through the jungle. We spent at least 3 hours here watching for the wildlife and enjoying the views. We saw some pretty cool things, from big lizards to butterflies. We didn't spot the monkeys, but other than that it was a great place to escape.

3  Thank Peter R
Reviewed August 21, 2012

It's an amazing rainforest considering it's location. Take a ten minute taxi from the middle of the city, and walk for 5 minutes and you are in the middle of the forest. Two dollars entry, and 2.5 hours to walk the entire trail.

3  Thank Wes W