“Good, not Great Hotel. Very Good Location”

The Executive Hotel
Ranked #56 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed July 11, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Ejecutivo for 3 nights at the end of our Panama vacation. It was a good hotel, in a good location with good rooms and good buffet breakfast. I did not think it was dirty at all and the bathrooms were good. It was nice that we could walk to a few bars and restaurants. We were on one of the top floors so it wasn't noisy at all below with the balcony door closed.

We didn't have a good experience with the front desk staff. When we checked in the clerk (a young man) was not friendly to us and he gave orders to the bellhop (an old man) as if he was his dog. We felt bad for the way the old man was being treated. And don't bother asking them for directions because they will send you in the wrong direction.

Outside of those experiences, I would rate the hotel better than expected, based on the reviews I read. Good, not great. Very Good Location.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 19, 2009

The location for this hotel is great. However, nothing else about this hotel is great or "executive." It is rundown and dirty. The bathroom tiles are all broken and the staff does not really speak English. The price is just ok too. There are definitely better deals around. I recommend staying at the Radisson. It costs a bit more, but the service is much better, and you get a $20 beverage credit everyday. If you are from the US, you will realize that the Radisson is the place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank kbenn123
Reviewed June 1, 2009

There is nothing executive about this place. The central location is the only thing that it has going for it which doesn't make up for the dinginess and dated rooms/decor. Unless it's your only option or it's significantly cheaper, I'd stay elsewhere in the city.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 28, 2009

Our room was small but clean. The bathroom was extremely small but functional. The air conditioner was a bit noisy at times. The buffet breakfast was very good as was the service in the cafe. The cuatro con leche cake is the best I have ever tasted and during our visit we had a piece every evening. The doorman was great and helpful but we were able to negotiate better taxi rates on our own even with our limited Spanish vocabulary. I would stay here again even though the hotel is old but it has character!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 17, 2009

We read all the previous reviews and decided to stay here. We requested a high floor with sea view. We got a 5th floor room with a stunning view of a construction site. The room was dank, smelly ,dark and needed to be demolished,
We requested a different room and got a very nice room on the 1th floor. Much better. The staff is not helpful or friendly. Never a greeting or a good evening as we came and went from the hotel.
Completely useless.
There is no concierge or anyone to assist you with anything at all. Be prepared and do all your research in advance!

Breakfast buffet was okay, nothing to rave about
The doormen were wonderful. Do not take a taxi from the hotel.
The rooms were clean, we had to ask for more soap and toilet paper.
I can't say I'd recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jyllyan
Reviewed January 31, 2009

This hotel, known to me as El Ejecutivo in Panama City, was a disappointment during my last stay that seemed to confirm a recent trend.

I've stayed there a number of times but recently it seems to be slowly going downhill. The only really good aspects are a great buffet breakfast and a really great gin martini at the very pleasant bar in the lobby.

Problem with the breakfast is that they stop serving it at a relatively early time - I think 9:30 a.m.

The room itself is somewhat uncomfortable, especially trying to get the A/C either to not freeze you out or not work at all. Being as the rooms are built around an open atrium, one goes from a cold room into a tropical climate and then back into a cold elevator. The shower is also problematic. There is always a problem with the adjustment.

One thing that I caution future guests about is the check-out process.

The bill is presented in an unusually complicated manner with no one behind the desk really seeming to understand their own calculations. I was overcharged and, even though I tried to correct the mistake at the reception desk, the manager readily acknowledged that it may pass through to my credit card bill. Not to worry, she assured me, if it did it would be credited back to my charge account.

It did and my e-mails to the hotel asking for a refund were ingnored. Eventually, my credit card company did battle and got the money refunded. An unpleqasant experience that went on for a few months.

As I said, a good place to go in the evening to enjoy the bar and certainly a great buffet breakfast- but that's about it.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 27, 2008

The good thing about this hotel is that the staff is friendly and from older reviews it is clear that this must always have been so.
The hotel has a central location: for some good, but don't expect scenery around.
The rooms remind me of hotels in Pakistan. The hotel must be from 1960 or earlier. Maybe in 1980 the rooms were renovated so what you get is a 1980 look, which has deteriorated. In a primitive society it would be a great hotel. But Panama City is not that primitive.
Look on this site what you get charged. If prices were from $50.00 to $75.00 I think that would be a fair price and maybe you can book somewhere for that price.
In the USA you would get a much better product for the price they are charging in 2008.
Again if the price were right you could stay there: it does have AC, room safe, small fridge, bigger shower, and most of the amenities of a big hotel.
If there is a great demand for rooms hotels like these can survive and try to still charge high. It would be a fairly decent and acceptable (don't expect luxury) hotel if the rooms were priced $50.00 or $75.00.
Even then I would not recommend it to travellers that are used to quality.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Kirpan