Canopy Tower
$144
$118
$169
  • Pool
Panama Marriott Hotel(Panama City)
$135
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
$182
$162
  • Beachfront
$230
Bookit.com
Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro(Panama City)(Great Value!)
$54
Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis(Panama City)
$164
Hilton Panama(Panama City)
$157
  • Restaurant
Riande Aeropuerto(Panama City)(Great Value!)
$97
$91
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsobservation deckhowler monkeyspipeline roadgreat birdingradar stationharpy eagleeco lodgebird specieseye levelbirding packageair forcegreen seasonspotting scopetoed slothsbirding groupsound travelspanama canal
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My husband and I just returned from a weeks stay at Canopy Tower in Gamboa, Panama. What a tremendous trip! We chose the "Birds of Canopy Tower" 7 night package and it was everything promised on the website and more. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the food was great. We met lots of interesting fellow birders during our stay from all over the US and UK. The service was super; helpful, cheerful and accommodating. But the birds!!! Wow! Spectacular birding and even better guides. Our guides for the week were Alex Sanchez, Michael Castro and Jenn Sinasac. They were all incredibly knowledgeable with super spotting skills. Special shout out to Micheal Castro for being the most cheerful and amusing guide ever. I wish we had booked a longer trip. We give the Canopy Tower our highest recommendation.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Cindy C
Reviewed April 20, 2014

The tower is a mecca for birders from all over the world. Generally speaking the group we were with spotted upwards of 35 new birds per day. Mammals: we saw two and three toed sloths, monkeys, possums, coatis, capybaras and agoutis. The guided walks were fascinating, particularly the night tour, but the highlight had to be watching the sunset from the top of the tower with toucans flying by and sloths getting stoned in the nearby trees. It was incredible how much it was possible to see just from the tower itself. Food was simple but very good. The rooms are extremely clean with a simple decor. The wide windows look out into the canopy and we were able to watch toucans from the comfort of our beds, before going up to the top of the tower for the daily sunrise spotting with the guide. The staff were extremely helpful and the guides were local experts with a great deal of knowledge and a knack for spotting. Staying here is a really unique and special experience. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Book early to get a double room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Eoin-Rach
Reviewed April 7, 2014

One would be hard pressed to find a better place to do some serious birding and enjoy a unique experience at this remarkable eco-lodge. The local guides know their birds! It was impressive to hear them make bird calls and they know the best places to bird. The accommodations are basic but comfortable enough. The food was very good, with fruit and vegetables offered at every meal. No elevator, so be prepared for climbing a few flights of stairs. No AC but rooms have fans. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Don A
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We were here with a birding tour company and found the whole experience to be wonderful. The guides were excellent, knew where to find the birds, how to call them in for us to see and could pick out birds just by hearing their calls. The food is very good, no complaints. Please note that you must be able to do stairs, no elevators. The rooms are basic but provide all one needs to get a good sleep and shower. The location is splendid, especially being able to see birds and other creatures at the treetops. I was able to get excellent video of an Iguana, Three-toed Sloth, Palm Tanager, Keel-Billed Toucan and many other birds. If you are looking for eco-friendly adventure this is the place.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jeff G
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Everything about my seven day stay at Canopy Tower was positive. The staff members with whom I had contact were most helpful, knowledgeable, and professional. Customer service is obviously a priority with the Canopy Family, and I always felt that staff members were doing all in their power to make my stay a positive experience for me. All of the details regarding my visit were meticulously organized; the food was terrific and plentiful; transfers occurred flawlessly; and the accommodations were just fine. The birding experience was nothing short of spectacular, and it was made possible by the outstanding guides with whom I trekked. They each have an unbelievable knowledge of the birds of Panama, and I was continually impressed by their ability to recognize birds by sight, calls, and sounds of their flight. On numerous occasions, they successfully called-in birds from distant locations. They were personable and I always felt they had my needs as their first priority. One of the things with which I was continually impressed was the enthusiasm they exhibited whenever a bird was sighted and the delight they took whenever they found a lifer for me. For my next Panama adventure, I will make plans to visit Canopy Camp and Canopy Lodge.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo