“Not an affordable option for a biologist”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Canopy Tower

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Panama City
Canopy Tower
San Juan Capistrano, California
“Not an affordable option for a biologist”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

I have traveled and studied birds in many parts of the world and this is a really unique place to stay in panama. The food was good and the ability to see species at eye level is amazing. The staff is really nice and the rooms are clean and unique. However, it is completely overpriced and unless you stay for at least 3 nights, no tours are included. I was only able to afford one night but I figured I could use the next morning to bird but we were really discouraged from lingering after the 9:00am checkout. Also, the atmosphere really caters to what is known as "listers", whose only concern is finding every bird on their list instead of observing and appreciating being apart of the rainforest via this tower. This is more of a place for a wealthy traveler/birder that wants a full tour operator to bring them to each bird species and I don't think a regular tourist or naturalist would get much value from this.

1 Thank quino24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
Pisgah Forest, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

We spent seven nights at Canopy Tower, a jewel in the center of Panama. Our stay included accomodations, food, transportation, and fantastic wildlife guides. Our primary purpose for this trip was serious birding. The Tower is unique and somewhat rustic. The room was immaculate and clean, basic but comfortable. The food was simple, well prepared, plentiful, and totally tasty. The birding was incomparable because of the world-class guides. Be prepared for extensive walking over sometimes hilly and rocky trails. Simply put, birding at Canopy Tower exceeded our every expectation. The atmosphere is friendly, and the hotel staff is unfailingly helpful. This trip will remain a highlight for us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank M B
Sequim, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

First off, the only reason to stay here is if you want an amazing view and are into being close to nature. I gave this place a 4 out of 5 because of the eye candy. However, this is geared towards serious birders – which we are not. We only stayed one night, and didn't get a tour included so we were on our own. We took a hike and enjoyed sitting on top the observation deck looking at the monkeys, sloths and birds. You can see Panama City in the distance and boats cruising through the canal. Sunrise and sunsets were phenomenal. If that alone is not enough to justify the cost then I will warn you the rest might disappoint.

Food wise, eating there is your only option. We were there over Thanksgiving, and at dinner my husband and I were the last to eat at the buffet and they out ran out of food. Three of the four chaffing dishes were empty. We were left to eat cauliflower and beets. They had a beautiful looking turkey, but my husband and I don't eat meat. They accommodated us with fish which was nice. The food quality was not great either, first day we had a dessert that was obviously pre-made frozen and hadn't thawed yet. Having said that, it wasn't bad, just nothing special.

Sleep quality was all or nothing. When it was loud it was very loud and impossible for me to sleep, but when it was quiet the jungle outside was humming and lulled me into a very heavy sleep. I think it all depends on the courtesy of the neighbors. Maybe signs encouraging guest to keep it to low tones might help.

This is a very unique experience in a great location and only 30 minutes away from Panama City. I'm inclined to try staying at their other properties next time and come up here for a day trip.

1 Thank Kerry M
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Canopy Tower for three nights just before Thanksgiving, after having spent the previous three nights at the Canopy Lodge. The Canopy Tower Family arranged for transport between all our stops during the trip and they were punctual, safe and reasonably priced. The Tower isn't luxurious in any way, but it was neat, clean and fun. We stayed in the Blue Cotinga room, which was very nice and had a small balcony, but we were rarely in there to enjoy it. We spent most of our time on guided bird watching expeditions, eating in the dining room or enjoying the incredible view from the top balcony. The food was good, wine was provided at dinner and beer or spirits were available for $4.

Each morning and afternoon were spent hunting for birds and this usually included a ride to the spot of the day in their open "Birdmobile", which was fun, but can be wet and windy! The guides were knowledgeable and spoke English well. We did Pipeline Road and Ammo Dump Ponds along with a few other sites. The birding is incredible, but my wife and I both thought the trips were more suited for avid birders. More casual birders may want to skip a trip or two and stay at the tower where you can relax and enjoy the canopy at eye level. We saw Howler Monkeys and Geoffroy's Tamarins as well as sloths and birds from the balcony. There are several hummingbird feeders in the garden which attract quite a few hummers. It's always fun to watch them as they defend what they think is their particular feeder. One morning there was an optimistic little boa stretched across a branch above one of the feeders, hoping for a quick little snack.

When we first arrived, we were asked if we had any dietary restrictions, and I told them I don't eat fish. They seemed to understand, but one of the three main courses was only fish. There was plenty to eat with salad, rice and beans, but it would have been much nicer to have a main course for me that wasn't fish!

With that exception, and understanding that the main focus of the daily activities is hardcore bird watching, this is a fabulous place and we'd certainly recommend it!

Ferguson, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

My trip to the Canopy Tower was beyond my expectations. The Canopy Tower may not be anyone's idea of a grand hotel, but if you want comfort, delicious food, excellent service and knowledgeable bird guides, you've come to the right place.The Tower does have a certain ambiance, which can be experienced best at 6:00am while standing on the top with coffee in one hand and binoculars in the other waiting for the Green Shrike-Vireo or Blue Cotinga to perch in front of you. Both species did. Alexsis was both our driver and bird guide. He handled both duties admirably. One could easily see the pleasure he took at showing people a life bird.
Fresh fruit, delicious entrees and plenty of good wine in the evening made dining at the Tower a pleasure. By 9:30pm most of the guests had settled into their rooms quietly. I slept better than I usually do at home.

Connie Alwood

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

The Canopy Tower has been on our target travel destination list for many years. This November we spent 5 days at the Tower as part of a Wings tour and it was everything we hoped. Once a U.S. military radar tower, it is situated on a densely forested hill with a view of the Canal. After the turnover, the tower was converted to a marvelous ecolodge. It is simple and comfortable and provides unparalleled views of birds and other wildlife at every level of the silo shaped lodge.

Everyone on our Wings tour had good binoculars, but it is possible to see a wonderful variety of wildlife without them from the Tower. I loved birding from the observation deck, with a cup of strong coffee in the morning or a beer in the late afternoon. Collared Aracaris and sloths frequent the Cecropia trees almost at arms length. Howler monkeys feed there as well and are heard in the early morning, howling to each other and sounding like the wind.

The Tower has 5 levels; the top is the observation deck and is open to the sky. Level 4 is the dining area and gathering place with comfortable couches. Levels 3 & 2 have the rooms. All he rooms on level 3 have bathrooms; the single rooms on 2 share a bathroom or bathrooms.
One feature in the room that proved really helpful was an electric towel warmer rack. I was dubious about it, but the tower is in a rainforest and the rack helped dry towels and t-shirts and socks. The staff were very accommodating and are ready with coffee at dawn for those birding from the observation deck. Early breakfasts are standard but available if you want to sleep at bit later. Picnic lunches were provided if needed. Dinner was accompanied by wine. Drinks for purchase were available before dinner.

Although we had a bird guide with us, the Tower provided a guide. Alexis is extremely knowledgeable about birds and the wildlife in the surrounding forests.

One small thing to keep in mind; access to all the levels is by stairs; there are no elevators. The staff brought our luggage to our room and lugged it down when we left, but we had to climb the stairs to get to our rooms, the dining area and the top observation deck.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

The Canopy Tower is a very special place tucked in Parque Nacional Soberania. It's funky and very cozy with clean rooms and a very attentive staff. The observation deck gives an impressive 360 degree view of the surrounding forest stretching all the way to Panama City in the distance. Even from the deck one sees an impressive number of birds and other creatures - I spent my first afternoon on the deck in the company of a sloth - we were both a little lazy! Woke each morning to the sounds of howler monkeys. The food is delicious and wine is included! The Tower attracts interesting, well-traveled people, and there is no lack of good conversation. I hadn't had much exposure to birding, but thoroughly enjoyed the experience, benefiting from the extensive knowledge and enthusiasm of my guide and other visitors. By the end I was compiling lists and accepting an invitation to go birding in Hong Kong with two of the other visitors. I will be going back to Canopy Tower, and taking my family.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hyatt Place Panama City Downtown
Hyatt Place Panama City Downtown
#10 of 116 in Panama City
Gamboa Rainforest Resort

Been to Canopy Tower? Share your experiences!