“Awesome Birds! Awesome Experience!”
Review of Canopy Tower

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Panama City
Canopy Tower
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Awesome Birds! Awesome Experience!”
Reviewed August 4, 2012

My best friend and I go on a birding trip every year and this year we chose Canopy Tower. We visited on July 9 – 14 and my only complaint is that the trip wasn’t longer. From the moment we arrived we knew we were in an awesome place. Within five minutes we were on top of tower looking at our first Three-toed Sloth – within 15 feet from our binoculars!

Our primary objective was the birds and they did not disappoint. The tower property itself can keep you busy for hours. From the dining windows you will routinely see Aracari’s, Toucans, Honeycreepers, Hummingbirds, Tanagers, Caciques, and many more. Howler Monkey’s also make themselves present day after day in the trees that circle the tower.

The birding off the property is excellent as well. No matter which destination, the birds were there and the guides all did an outstanding job making sure we saw as many birds as possible. My target bird was the Black-chested Jay and I got it (along with 5 others) in great scope view at Summit Park, which is about 5 minutes from the tower. The list goes on and on but if you have a craving for an American Pygmy Kingfisher, Blue-headed Parrot, Orange-chinned Parakeet, Red-lored Parrot, Keel-billed Toucan, Blue Cotinga, Cinnamon Becard, or a Black-tailed Trogon you probably just need to get to Canopy Tower because the odds are you will see them all and many more.

The lodge itself was great! We stayed in the single rooms and were very pleased. On this level, the bathroom and the shower are shared but it didn’t pose and issue whatsoever. During our visit there were only a couple of other guests so noise was a non-issue for the most part but they do provide earplugs if you need them. The tower was hot but not unbearable. You will be so caught up in the birds and wildlife, it won’t matter. It does cool down some at night which will help you sleep but I do recommend you bring a very small, quiet fan if you like it really cool.

The food was terrific! All three meals were wonderful and diverse, lots of flavor and plenty to satisfy your hunger. Soda and water is included with your stay as well so you can drink as much as you want. Wine is included with dinner. Alcohol is available in the evenings for a small cost. One of the best things is that you can drink the water at the tower right from the faucet, although you don’t have to since they stock bottled water but, this is eliminates and enormous amount of stress during the trip. You even shower in clean water so you will be in good shape with the agua.

July is the rainy season so you will get a good shower everyday but it is never for long. Typically, it rains in the afternoon for a few hours and then dries up. So, just expect it and you will not be disappointed. One cool advantage to the rain is that it seemed to re-charge the birds. When the rain stopped the birds became very active again so you basically get a second morning each day in the afternoon after the rain. Pretty cool!

Lastly, I want to make sure I appreciate the entire staff for their patience and understanding with me. I had an emergency come up back in the states and had to cut my trip short by three days. Even though I created a little confusion in my attempt to book a flight and get back to the airport, they all worked very hard to make sure I got back home to my family. They were very willing to help me out. I had to use the phone a lot and they allowed me to keep their cordless with me most of the time while I was at the lodge. I am very thankful for all of their help!!!

Simply put, you will not be disappointed with Canopy Tower. If you want birds, an awesome experience, and a staff willing to make sure you have both than GO! I can’t wait to go back and plan to very soon!

5 Thank Indiana_Birder

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Great place! Go for the nature and you won't be disappointed. Our last days in PC and our time at the Canopy Tower did not disappoint. Great birding, amazing tower (how cool is a hotel from an old radar tower not be awesome?!) super helpful staff with great eyes for birds.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Once again the Canopy Tower was fantastic! Everything about it was amazing, from the excellent and friendly guides to the great food to the outstanding view from the top of the tower. Each morning you awoke to the sounds of the rainforest right outside the window! For any birder or wildlife lover travelling to Panama, the Canopy Tower (and its sister Canopy Lodge) is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the best of Panama!

Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I highly recommend a trip to the world-famous Canopy Tower. The guides are great, the staff helpful and the setting spectacular! Watching birds from the top deck before breakfast and night monkeys in the evenings were highlights!

1 Thank Adam K
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Exceptional place, outstanding guides!
The famous Canopy Tower lived up to its reputation! After years of hearing about this place from friends and reading about in birding magazines, we had high hopes and, needless to say, we were not disappointed. The staff at the Tower were friendly, the guides knowledgeable, and the food delicious. Despite visiting during the rainy season in July, it only rained for a small part of the few days we were in the area and it didn’t negatively affect our trip. The view from the top of the tower is spectacular, with Cecropias and other trees in fruit drawing in tanagers, honeycreepers and other tropical birds. In addition to the abundant birdlife visible from the top of the tower, we saw sloths and two species of monkey from our rooms, including night monkeys. One of my favorite experiences was having the opportunity to study two similar species, the Short-tailed and Band-rumped Swifts, at eye level as they foraged around the Tower. We highly recommend a visit to the Canopy Tower!

3 Thank Gina K
Progreso, Mexico
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The food was served buffet style, prepared from recipes created by the owner's sister, a nationally famous chef. Most dishes were prepared using local ingredients. Everyone commented on how great and interesting the food was. The only negative was that wine was included in the price but beer was extra.
Every morning we woke to find many different species of birds and mammals just outside our window, including Howler Monkies, sloths, etc. There is a lookout tower on the roof where we started out days with fresh coffee and juice, followed by a full breakfast in the dining room.
Every day there were extremely knowledgeable and helpful guides ready to take us out for birding and nature excursions, morning, afternoon and evening.
Because the building is a converted radio communications tower constructed of metal, the rooms are not soundproof - actually the opposite. Except for this drawback, I would have given it a 5-star rating!

Room Tip: Use the ear plugs that are provided