“Great introduction to the jungle”

Soberania National Park
Ranked #27 of 184 things to do in Panama City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Located 15 miles from downtown Panama City, this scenic park features two hiking paths called el Charco in Gamboa and Pipeline Road, both known for excellent birding and wildlife viewing.
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We went to this park and stopped in a gravel parking lot for a hike. I was staying with my brother who lives in Panama, and I would NEVER have found my way there on my own without some local knowledge - so taxi or tourbus recommended for anyone unfamiliar with the area. The guy who took our $5 per person fee to walk in the park pointed out a mother sloth with its baby in a tree right by the parking lot so that was very cool. The walk itself was amazing. It's incredibly hot and humid (as one would expect in a rain forest). Extremely lush vegetation. We heard lots of monkeys in the distance, but didn't actually see any. Saw lots of those very iridescent blue butterflies, many sorts of birds, and all sorts of creepy/crawly things. Also came across a cayman (small crocodile) in a pond right next to the trail. We went in for probably 2 hours and turned around, but I think the trail goes for much longer if you want that. A great and pristine day out for anyone wanting to experience a tropical rain forest.

6  Thank Mark P
"birding guide"
"beautiful birds"
"nice hike"

Reviewed April 8, 2014

Very interesting place and. Ice walking but wow hot and sweaty....hard to really get into the experience

1  Thank JTinSLC
Reviewed April 7, 2014

Our first stop was a short trail called sendero del charco. Spotted many howler monkeys , a sloth and a multitude of birds. Look out for tiny frogs on the ground when crossing the stream. Further north, past gamboa, is pipeline road. We parked at the park entrance, just 100m up from the Smithsonian dock, and walked for 3km along the trail and back. Saw many howler monkeys, an anteater in a tree, an agouti, a large flightless bird resembling a pheasant plus many other birds that I am unable to name. This happened in the afternoon, and I was told that during the morning it is much more teaming with wildlife. But do use some bug repellant if you go early. And save plenty of energy for this track.

5  Thank Aysegul D
Reviewed April 3, 2014

The Soberania National Park had an abundance of jungle and fauna however very little wild life. We were told that because of over population, deforestation and hunting that the wildlife was dying off.

1  Thank thibbs1955
See more reviews
Reviewed April 2, 2014

We walked for a couple hours early one morning along Pipline Road. I expected, from the reviews, to have a world-class bird viewing experience. We saw a sloth, anteater, butterflies and a couple toucans, but not much more. We are fairly experienced birders, but maybe we needed a guide anyway, or we just got there at a bad time. Not sure, but it was not as cool as I expected from the other reviews.

2  Thank ElizabethN234