“Good Value, great location”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama Canal, Panama
Ranked #30 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We stayed here at the beginning of our stay in Panama and liked it so much we booked it again for our final night after touring the country for 2 weeks. Excellent location outside of downtown and close to the dock for the water taxi (speed boat) to Isla Taboga. On check in the staff were friendly and accommodating. While we attempted to use our limited Spanish there English was excellent. Our room overlooking the canal on the first night was a little tired but large and functional. If you want a view of the canal this is what you get. On our second visit we had a room in the new wing which overlooked the front courtyard. It was modern and easily compared to any 3 or 4 star property in North America. As we spent most of our time at the pool the view from the room was of little importance to us. There was a great selection of food at breakfast however there seems to be some issue of keeping it hot. Even when fresh pans came from the kitchen to refill the buffet they were cold. The pool was fantastic, the business center with free internet access was a nice plus (especially if you don't travel with a laptop). WHile we didn't use the gym the equipment was all new and in good condition. If you are looking for 5 star this is not for you, but it was a great price for the services offered and the surroundings. We would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

Room Tip: You'll pay more for a canal view room, however the rooms in the new wing are more modern and up...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Raul_Hernandez507, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama Canal, Panama, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Dear Lou:

Thank you for choose the Country Inn and Suites Panama Canal during your last visit.

We are very grateful for the time dedicated to share your positive comments about our Hotel, fills us with pride to hear that it has been able to enjoy of some products and more still that the service provided by our staff has been to his liking and thank you for everything, we will improve on your suggestions mentioned.

On behalf of our entire staff at Country Inns & Suites we thank you for your last visit we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Reviewed November 16, 2013

The view of the America's bridge is about the only good thing I can say. Upon arrival, I was not sure that the sheets were clean - they were all crumpled, but on close examination I decided they would do, but I still have my doubts. ( A colleague in another room determined that her sheets were still from the previous guests and demanded housekeeping to change them). The smell in the room was horrible: moldy and damp and even opening the balcony door did not help. The air conditioner dripped and it was also hard to set the temperature. The cleaning was inconsistent - sometimes there would be 4 new towels; sometimes only one. A face cloth today, but none the next day. Not all the light bulbs worked. Half way into my 5 night stay, I caught a terrible cold and decided to return to my room at 4pm to lie down - to my horror, the room had not yet been cleaned/ made up. I totally flipped out - probably due to the fact that I was feeling so ill - and marched down to the front desk to request the room to be made up. There were 6 young people at the front desk doing nothing (!!!!) and they were not terribly helpful, but the Manager stepped in and got things moving. He also offered me a cup of tea while I waited for the room to be ready ; he also offered to call a doctor; and the next day I got a huge basket of fruit with a personalized letter apologizing for the delay. While I certainly appreciate these efforts, I still cannot recommend this hotel. Owing to my cold I needed to use the tissues in the bathroom: they smelled of mold - disgusting!!! and I used toilet paper instead until I could buy some myself. The breakfast buffet, which was included in my room rate, ran out of food every day, as there were so many guests. I got the feeling that the hotel was not equipped to deal with the large number of guests. Less staff at the front desk and more in housekeeping and in the kitchen/ dinning room would be recommended. This hotel is in urgent need of a renovation as well as more and better trained housekeeping staff. Don't stay here.

Room Tip: The nicer rooms face the canal. I did not have one of these.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Raul_Hernandez507, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama Canal, Panama, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the hotel staff. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. We are especially sad to hear that your last stay not was like you was waiting.

Your feedback helps us prevent situations such as this in the future. We hope you will give us another chance if you are in the area again.

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

The hotel's view to the boats passing by to the canal and the bridge of the americas is AMAZING the breakfast was very delicious. THEIR SERVICE IS THE WORST I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED. First they gave me a room that was not clean so they gave me another room they called "an upgrade" which actually was the same room. The way they spoke to us and other guests is horrible that front desk clerk has no customer service at all!! I will never ever stay again with them and i woudnt recommend this hotel to anybody!!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maru Z
Raul_Hernandez507, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama Canal, Panama, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We apologize for the disappointing service you received from the hotel staff. We want to make sure our guests are comfortable and receive the best service. We are especially sad to hear that your last stay not was like you was waiting.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for about 8 weeks so got to get the feel of it really well. Really nice , lovely pool with view of canal. Rooms really big, would recommend trying to get canal view as much better than car park. Breakfast good and security 24 hrs . Always felt safe. Causeway has may restaurant's and a nice outdoor boat club 200 yards away which is really cheap and serve good food. A great place to sit and enjoy the big ships passing by.

Room Tip: Canal view
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest:

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We loved this place. The staff/service was great, and we loved the locations. Our stay started with a free upgrade to a canal-view room. The room wasn't perfect in every way, but it was definitely good enough. The breakfast buffet was great though with a different selection of food every morning. And on the morning we left for an early flight they even had a to-go breakfast snack bag for us at the front desk. Totally impressed! I also liked the location at the end of the causeway. Great for a morning run or for an afternoon walk. And there were always several taxis waiting to take us anywhere else we wanted to go. We'd definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room on the canal side. One of the upper floors like ours seemed best, and as per...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob C
Raul_Hernandez507, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama Canal, Panama, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I've stayed here three times for a total of four weeks recently. They were all business trips and I have to say that (unlike a previous reviewer) my WiFi access was great which is important to me. I guess it will alter from room to room so if WiFi is an issue I would suggest you ask to change rooms. The hotel may be more geared toward holiday rather than business use but there is a small 'business centre' with two PC's in the lobby hooked up to a printer and scanner. Breakfast was perfectly acceptable (loved the scrambled eggs) if a little limited. The views from my room out onto the canal were fabulous. Rooms were spacious and clean although there were one or two minor faults such as a leaky fridge, slightly intrusive air conditioning noise and a non functioning TV remote. But these are small matters and are more than compensated by friendly staff and efficient service. It's not centrally located but for me that was a positive rather than a negative. And my room rate I felt gave exceptional value.

Room Tip: A view of the canal is worth asking for and paying the little extra if you want to spend some time j...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Somnus11
Raul_Hernandez507, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama Canal, Panama, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Guest:

We are very grateful for the time dedicated to share your positive comments about our Hotel, fills us with pride to hear that it has been able to enjoy our products and more still that the service provided by our staff has been to his liking.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Our stay was not without minor problems. However, that staff went above and beyond to correct the problems. So much so that we cancelled the second hotel we were going to stay in at the end of our trip and chose to stay here for the duration of our trip instead. The view from the canal side is spectacular as you can see the marina, the ocean, the Bridge of the Americas and can watch the ships enter and leave the canal. It is a bit removed from the city but not by much and it is very close to the causeway. We will be back.

Room Tip: Canal view, upper floor is the only way to go.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank v123243
Raul_Hernandez507, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama Canal, Panama, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013