Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama Canal, Panama
Ranked #30 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This place was fine, reasonable price, short cab ride to good restaurants on the causeway.
Nice big pool for the kids, TGI Friday's attached. By Country Inn standards, average, but that is a good standard. Good place to stay for your last night in Panama, i would stay somewhere more interesting if it was for more than 1 night. Breakfast was big and pretty good.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Stephen G

Reviewed August 10, 2012

I visited this hotel while visiting the canal and it was just fine. The breakfast was wonderful, the pool area was decent even though the whirlpool was drained with no explanation, the views right on the canal were awesome (even saw a navy ship go through, literally 100 yards from my balcony), and the staff was friendly. A TGI Fridays was attached with a bar, although I do not eat at places like that. Very close to the causeway and some excellant food, and there are taxi drivers always outside to take you anywhere. I think I paid $40 for a taxi to drive me around all day...not bad! The aircon in the rooms leaves a bit to be desired, as my room seemed damp the entire time...I was usign points so I didn't really care but it was a bit uncomfortable. Also, be sure that your patio door locks. They originally assigned me to a room and I couldn't get the door to lock....called down and they said that no one really bothers with that...HUH???? No one cares if their door is locked? That was insulting to me but they moved me anyways so all was well.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the canal
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Addicted_to_SBH
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Our room was dirty, the pool area was crowded and dirty, breakfast was made for geriatrics (bland food that's easily digestible) and the surrounding area is completely geared toward bloated, English speaking cruise ship tourists. I cannot recommend this hotel. The only redeeming factor was the front desk service - they were nice, but did nothing to remedy our complaints about the dirty room.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank nicholebowers
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Panama Canal, Panama, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

We are so extremely unhappy to hear of the challenges that you experienced while visiting our hotel. It is our goal that each guest leaves satisfied with their stay. Please know that your comments have been heard and we are working very diligently to ensure that this situation does not happen again. We hope that the next time that time you are in our area, you will return to see that we have been able to make changes to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I loved the location of this property. My balcony had a canal view of the ships passing by. In the mornings I would walk the causeway or hike to Ancon Hill. The most amazing tucans visit the trees by the pool. Definitely has the jungle feel with the city amenities. My favorite was the breakfast buffet. I also loved Adriano the hotel taxi driver. I hired him 4 days in a row for various activities. He is quite the tour guide.

• Stayed: July 2012
4  Thank ChemicalGal
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed at Country Inn in Amador twice during a recent trip to Panama. We found the staff to be helpful and efficient. The breakfast was significantly better than most complimentary hotel breakfasts with a broad assortment of fresh fruit, yogurt and hot items. The view of the canal is impressive especially when the ships enter the canal through the Bridge of the Americas. Rooms were clean on both visits and beds were comfortable.

Only complaints were 1)location is fairly far from shopping, Casco Viejo or anything you might like to see at night (Fridays restaurant aside). Cabs are plentiful and easy to use. 2) there is some cleaning (stairs to 4th floor for example) that has been overlooked for a long while. Hotel should try to address this.

Neither of these points should dissuade you from paying a visit.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank ChicagoOnthego
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in a room overlooking the canal. We loved the view and the location. A long walk or a short taxi ride to the end of the causeway takes you to many good restaurants. Our favorite was Lenos y Carbon.

Room Tip: The view in the canal rooms is excellent.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sandgypsies
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Prior to going to Panama City I checked on the reviews of the Country Inn and Suites. The reviews are mixed. It depends on what you are looking for as to whether you will like the property. I had a single room facing the canal on the night of June 12. The room was okay. The bathroom divides the room in half. As you enter, you walk into a sitting area which lacks an outside window. To me that room was dark and unwelcoming. As you pass the bathroom you enter the sleeping area which also gives you access to the balcony. With a king size bed that space was very tiny. Though the bed and pillows were comfortable.

If you are wanting a more Panamanian experience this hotel is not for you. You are surrounded by other Americans and lots of English is spoken. I like a more host country experience. I want to be in a hotel where I can walk to places. The area around the hotel is quiet but there is nothing to walk to. Thankfully there is a TGI Fridays attached. The night I was there Panama was playing Cuba so that awesome hanging out with all the red shirt Panamanians as they cheered on their team.

From a distance the breakfast area was clean. If you looked more closely there was dirt along the wall boards. They do use fresh fruit but the eggs and meat are just reheated meaning that they are prepared elsewhere. I was disappointed that the pool was not clean.

I did see a ship pass by as it left the canal. That was neat. At the same time you could pay a taxi to take you to the hotel and watch ships as they pass by. For me the hotel was over priced and not that comfortable or clean. I would choose a hotel in a more central location. But once again, it all comes down to what you are looking for.

Room Tip: The hotel taxi service was friendly.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo