“Great trip to Panama Canal and Panama”
Review of Panama Canal

Ranked #1 of 181 things to do in Panama City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Operating since 1914 and considered one of the wonders of the world, this fifty-mile waterway transports ships by raising them from sea level to more than 85 feet via a series of gravity-powered locks.
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We took the tour of Panama offered by General Tours (seven days) at the end of January when the weather was simply gorgeous. The first nights we were in Panama City at the Intercontinental. which was a business hotel with an amazingly large swimming pool. The tour offered a visit to the Mira Flores Lock the first day so we had the opportunity to see the canal from land and watch ships go through. The next day we boarded a small ship (with about 300 people) and did a full transit which took the entire day. Food on the ship was so-so but I did not expect more. Experiencing the canal was a dream. Hard to believe it is 100 years old and works as well as when it was built. (Our ship almost got stuck when there was a rudder problem, but it was repaired quickly.) The canal transit ended in Gamboa, and we then continued on to the rain forest where we stayed at the Gamboa Rain Forest Resort.-- a beautiful resort where jungle animals can be seen in the area of the hotel. We took a boat to the National Geographic Island where research is going on and hiked through the rain forest, which was quite enjoyable. After the rainforest, we took a canoe tour through Mario Tours to see the Embera Indians and their indiginous culture (though how indiginous it is at this point, I am not sure.) The tour continued with a trip back from Gamboa on the Panama Transcontinental Railway which followed the canal and offered more views of the canal and the ships passing through it. Our last two nights were at the Intercontinental Miramar (a beautiful hotel which offered more views of the canal and ships waiting day and night to enter the channel for the canal. The tour offered good value for this experience and I would recommend it. The canal is being widened with the addition of new locks which are supposed to open next year. If you have an interest in this man-made wonder, this is the perfect trip.

1  Thank Susan S
Write a ReviewReviews (15,177)

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I never expected to like visiting the Canal, but it was amazed! You only need to visit one lock, but I definitely would suggest adding this to one's itinerary.

1  Thank JLZW
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just go, seriously! I cant explain how impressive this thing is.
There are different museums to visit. But I really liked the one in Miraflores. Plus there is a nice restaurant and you can have a beer while you see a massive cruiseship pass a couple of meters away. Its massive!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I enjoyed exploring this site from land, but I felt like I got more out of it by cruising up and down in a runabout and fishing (mostly unsuccessfully) for peacock bass. My guides helped me catch couple smaller specimens, and they also took me to a spot where we got to feed some really cool little monkeys by hand. Those little suckers ended up jumping onto our boat and helping themselves to more than we had intended to share. Still, it was a great trip. Do a water cruise/ fishing expedition if you get the chance.

2  Thank Redbirds1
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I couldn't imagine going to Panama without seeing the canal - sorta like going to Egypt and missing the pyramids
Was it the most exciting thing about Panama? No. But its building was such an amazing historical and engineering feat impacting world trade for the past century.
The museum is well done, the show is cute, the price is very fare.

was a $20 cab each way from the Old section of Panama City.