“Excellent”

Ranked #15 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
Ottawa, Ontario
“Excellent”
Reviewed August 21, 2008

This is a great hotel. Well furnished good sized rooms with all the amenities. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. The casino actually pays out and you can have a good time without spending a fortune. Room service is slow but the food is good.

• Liked — All services and staff were very helpful
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank luv2travel9999

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Korean first
Philadelphia
Reviewed August 3, 2008

My friend and I returned today from a five day stay at the Panama City Marriott. The rooms were nicely appointed, very clean with extremely comfortable beds, but we found the staff extremely frustrating to deal with. On our first day we asked a doorman to hail us a cab to take us to Old Panama. Upon arriving at our destination, the driver (which turned out to be a tour guide) checked a sheet with prices on it and told us we owed him $40.00. We immediately balked at that and agreed to pay him $9 which we later found out was $7 too much. From then on we hailed cabs on our own and never paid more than $5 to go anywhere in the city. In fact most trips we took were less than $2 and we went all over the city. The concierge staff wasn't any better. Their ability to speak english was OK at best, but their comprehension was poor. They were easily confused and a question that should've been answered in less than a minute would often take more than 10. It seemed that they were instructed to answer all tourist related questions by referring us to tours managed by the Marriott. For example, we asked where the Miraflores locks were located and they gave us a tour sheet with a per person price of over $20.00. We took a $4 cab ride and paid $5 each to see the canal. We asked where to go to catch the ferry to the island of Toboga which is $11 round trip and they referred us to a tour of theirs that cost over $40 each. We found the $11 ferry on our own. Do not let them arrange ANY transportation for you. Cabs are plentiful and cheap. We asked the concierge where a jazz club someone recommended to us was located and instead of telling us, referred us to a different club. When we kept coming back to our original question, we were finally told that the club we were asking about was disco, not jazz. We went to the club they recommended and they were playing songs by american artists in the 60s and the Beatles! Not one person we spoke to who worked at the Marriott was fluent. In fact, the people in the gift shop and the gym spoke no English at all! We expected bilingual staff from a US based hotel. Some of the cab drivers spoke and comprehended more english than Marriott's staff. The gym is fabulous, but the pool isn't. Needs renovating. Construction noise was also an issue everyday except Sunday. We didn't spend much time in the lobby so we didn't see the hookers mentioned by someone else, but we did see a few in the area. They weren't that obvious though, so maybe they're less active in that area than they were in the recent past. Great place if you want a comfortable and safe place to stay, but don't count on the staff to help with your Panama experience. Know what you need to before you get there.

• Liked — Beautiful lobby, cleanliness, security, gym and comfortable beds.
  • Disliked — Lack of fluent bilingual staff, poor concierge service, and uninviting pool scene.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
2 Thank nevertired
Jersey City, NJ
Reviewed July 21, 2008

I wasn't too sure about the Mariott because I was concerned it would just be overpriced and not better than any other hotel. But the service was amazing. Everyone at the hotel was friendly and helpful and patient. They really know how to do customer service at this place! The rooms were only OK, and we had an even numbered room on the 5th floor which was very annoying on Saturday night because I was kept up from the music from some party or other function. My room was also close to the elevator and I could clearly hear the "ding-ding" of the elevator. Yes, everything was unnecessarily expensive but the service was wonderful.

• Liked — the service!
  • Disliked — Not especially convenient if you want to see the canal, go to beaches or other adventure tours
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Malibu, California
Reviewed July 16, 2008

I selected the Marriott for Panama City because it appeared from the reviews that it was the best hotel in the city at the best location. I was there a week and found it to be a good 3.5 star hotel not quite making a 4 star rating. The lobby is fine, along with my room. I have no complaints about either. The location of the hotel is not in the center of everything but I found that there is not that much going on in the city. From the Marriott I could walk to the ocean and several shopping centers. The ocean is not a place for swimming or water activates and the shopping centers are the generic ubiquitous types that are located in every big city. Across the street from the Marriott I found what I though was one of the world’s great restaurants named Costa Azul . It is a large informal restaurant open 24/7 with seating inside and out. There is no smoking on the inside. The food there was absolutely outstanding and very reasonably priced. There is always a diverse local crowd in there and after you eat there you can understand why. I never ate at the Marriott and ate all my meals at Costa Azul. This restaurant really made my trip to Panama City which is other wise very unremarkable. Another plus for the Marriott and the city is immediately across the street is agreat cigar bar which, in and of itself, is outstanding. They have a great selection of Cuban cigars and beers and liquor, and adequate outdoor seating
Now the one negative about the Marriott:, Near the hotel is the city’s largest gathering of women of the night. There are probably about 50 of them standing around and mingling/hustling customers. Now that being what it is, what does it have to do with the Marriott? Well many of there were many men at the Marriott ended being customers of the women of he night and brining them back to the Marriott to get better acquainted. So when you sat in the lobby at night you would periodically see an elderly gentleman walking to the hotel elevators with a lady dressed in an ultra miniskirt, with a plunging neckline or some similarly appropriate attire. This I did not find all that bad but what I could not stand is going up in the same elevator with these couples. Being in such a closed quarter with them really gave me the creeps. And since I was paying close to $300 a night for this hotel I thought I deserved better. I asked at the front desk of men could take guests to their room and they said it was permitted.
I walked to the Intercontinental on day which is about a mile away on the ocean and asked them the same and they said it was strictly prohibited at their hotel. So although I found the Marriott to be acceptable, I would not recommend it and if I went back I would stay at the Intercontinental. But if I stayed in either place I world still be eating at Costa Azul.

• Liked — Costa Azul Reaturant
  • Disliked — The hotel policy allowing men to bring guests into thier room at night.
  • Stayed June 2008
5 Thank Taniquan
addison,texas
Reviewed June 28, 2008

Overall the Panama Marriott is a good hotel. The bellman and front desk personnel are relly friendly and the rooms are comfortable. The only thing keeping this from being a five star for me was the a/c was not cold enough. The beds have down comforters on top and under the sheets us well. When you try to sleep it does get warm!
The little coffee/pastry shop has very good coffee and was a welcome treat.

I would definitely stay here again. Be aware that there are renovations going on right now...

• Liked — Comfortable beds and cleanliness
  • Disliked — paying $12.95 per 24 hrs for internet
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Medellin, Colombia
Reviewed June 13, 2008

Still the best service in PC, very attentive front desk, excellent gym, if you have access to the conciege lounge their breakfast is very good.
Pool is small, rooms are good sized with large bathrooms.
Lobby is always immaculate,
I would skip the hotel restaurants and dine at one of the choices in walking distance.

The attached cassno is pretty good by Panama standards but the real nightlife is up at the Veneto, Calle Uraguay is a few blocks away with lots of choices for clubs

• Stayed May 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank CDY
Playa Coronado, Panama
Reviewed May 29, 2008

We just returned from the Marriott Panama City and it was everything previous reviewers had said. On arrival the check in clerk, did her ultimate to find an available room, since we had traveled overnight. The service at the hotel is outstanding, as is the food. The room was very nice and the bed is great. We received a newspaper every day, free of charge. A little deli in the lobby, called Sabor is great for breakfast and a light lunch.
Everybody we interfaced with spoke very good English.
The hotel is attached to the casino through a walkway on the Mezzanine level. We "donated" there a couple of times.
There are lots of restaurants in walking distance. Costa Azul is good for breakfast and lunch. Casa Mariscos is great for seafood, but a little higher priced than most restaurants. Across the street from the Marriott is a Cuban Cigar store, that had good quality cigars. My husband enjoyed going over there, sitting outside, having a beer and smoking a cigar. To his disappointment, smoking inside buildings in Panama is not allowed.
There were always plenty of taxis to get around. Another restaurant to try is Pomodoro. Italian food like Grandma used to make.
Overall, we really liked the hotel, the people and our stay.

• Liked — Service was great and everybody spoke English
  • Disliked — Rude people slamming their doors
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple