“They are trying”

InterContinental Miramar Panama
Ranked #33 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed March 14, 2014

We arrived at the hotel to begin an 12 day tour through Panama, the canal and Costa Rica. The staff at the reception desk were bi-lingual and very helpful. The room was newly refurbished but not at any great expense. There were two queen size beds, OK linens, and not much done to the bathroom. It was clean, but did not look fresh. We asked for more towels and the missing blow dryer. They were delivered fairly quickly. We found out it is better to call the front desk to ask for things for your room then housekeeping. Bi-lingual speakers ended at the front desk. The hotel dining room was a disaster. The staff was friendly but did not have a great command of English or did they know how to serve properly. At dinner they would bring the meal out of order. The buffet at dinner and breakfast was not replenished in a timely fashion. Not good when you want orange juice and coffee at breakfast. The food selections were odd and not tasty. I have traveled around the world and don't mind going with the local customs but the dining room staff was poorly trained, scattered and terribly disorganized. They really don't have their act together. The decor of the hotel could use a face lift inside and out. One would think that in a tropical climate they would have lush landscaping. It was minimal and fairly unimaginative. Although not a terrible experience because the staff really tried but they really need some hospitality training.

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean View. The Panama city sky line is exceptional!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Jackvine P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Dear Nancy,

Greetings from Panama City,

Firstly thank you for sharing your coments about your recent stay. I will make sure to communicate this to all managers and staff for them to be aware of your feedback about some areas of improvement like the restaurant, food selection, and english speaking staff.
We do our best to improve day by day, and appreciate you have taken the time to let us know some of the things we can do better. I hope that we could be the hostess of your next trip to Panama City, to show you our improvements .

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Great hotel with an awesome view and located close to great restaurants,definitely stay on concierge level,Robert is great to visit with in the club.The entire staff was always very willing to help.The pool is an awesome place to spend the day.

Room Tip: 24 th floor
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Greetings from Panama City,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts about the hotel during your recent stay. I am happy to read your kind comments about Robert, be sure this review will be known by him, and I am positive this will make his day! We enjoyed having you; don’t miss the opportunity to relax in our pool again in your future visit to Panama City.
Have a wonderful day back home.

Reviewed March 6, 2014

My wife and I just returned from Panama City and had a fabulous stay at the Miramar. We we a little skepitcal at first due to to negative reviews we had read but were extremely happy when we arrived. We were greated by Juan the Bell Man and he escorted us to the front desk and we were taken care of by a young man named Alexis and we were taken care of immediately. Our room was on the 13th. floor and was great, housekeeping was terrific in keeping our room clean and we were made to feel at home by all of the staff. The pool was great and we spent at least four to five hours a day relaxing poolside. We had breakfast every morning at the hotel as it was included with our room and it was fantastic especially the omelets that were prepared to our tastes. The fresh fruit was perfect.
We have traveled all over the world and we were extremely pleased with this hotel, found it very easy to access day or night and had a cab within in seconds of asking for one, so don't be afraid of staying at this wonderful hotel and have a great time while you are in Panama. Our sincere thanks to all of the hotel staff, especially Alexis and Edwin at the front desk.

Room Tip: Simply ask for an Ocean View and enjoy!!! Ac worked very well and was easy to control, safe in the...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jackvine P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2014

Greetings from InterContinental Miramar Panamá,

Firstly thank you for taking the time to post your kind review on Trip Advisor. I am glad to read that our staff fulfilled all of your needs to the point of making your stay really memorable. I will make sure to pass this on to Edwin, Alexis and Juan so they know to keep on offering high standards of hospitality to all of our valuable guests like you.

Remember that InterContinental Miramar Panama will always be your home away from home, so please do not hesitate to let us know when your next visit will be. It will be an honor to host your next stay to keep on offering you relaxing days at our pool, comfortable nights, and delicious food at our restaurant Bay View.

The entire staff remains at your disposal, for anything you might need in the future. Thank you for living the InterContinental Experience with us. Hope you have a wonderful day back home!

Reviewed March 5, 2014

Panama City's InterContinental is about what you'd expect from the brand as well as from a four-star hotel in a major Latin American city. The reception area and public spaces were fresh and clean. Both the rooms and the public spaces were tiled with marble (very pretty and very Latin). We stayed on one of the club level floors. Rooms were spacious enough and we had a lovely view of the bay and the city, but the tile did kind of amplify sound and we could hear our neighbors.

The hotel is conveniently located. It's an easy cab ride -- or long stroll -- to all major attractions (including old town and the Causeway, where canal cruise boats dock). There are also several nice dining options a couple of blocks away.

Again, as with many larger hotels in Latin America, The Panama InterContinental seems obsessed with air conditioning. Both our room and the common areas were freezing. Our room was set at 65 degrees F. The only way to warm the room was to turn the AC off completely. This didn't bother me, but my husband, who requires AC, was not amused.

Food was okay, about what you'd expect from a hotel restaurant. Both breakfast and dinner offer a buffet. We ate both. There was a plentiful variety of food for both meals. The quality ranged from pretty good to a little below Costco. Breakfast was included, so I can't complain about that. And some of the things on the buffet really were quite tasty.

The staff was friendly and did their best to be helpful.

I did have some issues with the spa, but they were resolved to my satisfaction. I would stay there again, but would not use the spa.

Room Tip: Book a club floor room and ask for an ocean view (one side of the hotel has city views; not as nice)
1  Thank wendy f
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

Greetings from Panama City,

It is a pleasure to read all of your kind comments and specially that you took the time to point out all of the good service and perks received by the hotel during your stay. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know what was great and what there is still a room for improvement, Is by feedback like yours that help us improve day by day.

I will pass this on to all managers in charge, as well as to the SPA owner in order for him to make corrective actions in his department as well as to verify the AC in the rooms.

InterContinental will be always your home away from home if your future travels bring you back to our country. I don’t want you or your family to miss the views, food, facilities and locations we offer as you previously mentioned.

I and the entire team remains at your disposal and hope to see you back with us!!

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

Helpfull staff. Clean big comfortable rooms. Although there is a highway in front of the hotel, we did not hear any noise. Amazing view over the sea. Lots of choice for breakfast. Huge pool for a city centre hotel!! Close to the old town. Many good restaurant in this area.
Loved our stay

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Greetings from Panama City,

Firstly, thank you for sharing your recent experience with us on Trip Advisor. I am glad to read all of your kind comments about our services, room views and central location of our hotel. It will be a pleasure to have you back if your travel needs brings you back to Panama City so that you can keep on enjoying our Bay View Restaurant and comfortable nights with us.
Hope you are having a wonderful time back home, and thank you again for sharing.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I recently stayed here for 7 days on a work trip and what an experience it was. My first night I was given a beautiful newly renovated room on the 22nd floor with the sea view. When I returned to the hotel the following night after a short trip outside the city, I was given a room on the 12th floor which was awful - dirty walls, old fixtures, noisy refrigerator and thin windows (which let in the noise of the highway). When I questioned the staff of why I was given an inferior room the second time under the same reservation, I was told that I had to pay more to stay in a renovated room. Interestingly, my colleague had no issues checking in the second time into a renovated room (our reservation was made at the same time as the same rate). It did not make sense, and a lot of back and forth with the manager, I was given a renovated room again. When I was checking out though, they still tried to charge me more for the room, although I specifically confirmed with the manager that my rate remained the same.

The service at the hotel is bad. Even the cleaning service is lacking - I had to leave notes for the cleaners to empty trash as they left it in the room otherwise. The worst came on my next to last night when the whole hotel lost water. Without a notice, we had no access to bathrooms and showers for the whole night - I never experienced that in a 5 star hotel. It did not feel like the staff was apologetic either.

Te breakfast was decent. Not a huge selection and the egg station was a mess, but decent still.

If I did not have the benefit of a beautiful room with the stunning room of the sea, I would have given this hotel a one star.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are worth it, all others not at all.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Ruchei
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Greetings from InterContinental Miramar Panama City,

First of all thank you sharing your comments about your recent stay with us. I would like to extend my further apologies on behalf of the entire staff of the hotel. Your feedback will be known by all managers in order to create an action plan to decrease complains about service issues, cleanliness of restaurant and rooms in general.

If you let me know by writing me an inbox, your name or reservation number to take notes under your profile about your review and preferences it will be greatly appreciated, so that next time we do our best to fulfill all your needs.

Once again, I would like to thank you for calling our attention, regarding your stay. We value your business, and I sincerely hope this incident will not deter you from giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

There's a nice Intercontinental in Costa Rica, but this is the poor shabby cousin. Also it sits right between two highways. So the pool in the intercontinental is only feet away from a noisy crowded highway. The rooms are outdated and tired, and the only saving grace would be the view go the ocean.

It looks good from the outside, but only that.

Room Tip: The rooms with balconies are preferable.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting online your comments and for pointing out the ocean view we offer from most of our rooms, at the same time I am sorry to hear that the classic decoration of our rooms was something not very attractive to you.

Regarding the pool, most of our guest enjoy the contrast of having a relax time, with a nice big and clean pool right in the middle of the city overlooking the cinta costera and the skycrapers of Panama City I understand your point of view about the noise of the cars passing by the hotel and I would like to apologize if this caused you a little of inconvenience during your pool experience.

Thank you for the feedback, and I remain at your complete disposal if your future needs brings you back to Panama City.