“Business trip, stopped two weekends, nice hotel.”

InterContinental Miramar Panama
Ranked #40 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This was my second business trip to Panama City but the first at the Intercontinental, its a nice hotel , very nice swimming pool and the restaurant gives you a good choice, it also seems very popular with the locals, rooms clean and had a really good view over the bay. Would stop again.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view if you can.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank TerryH307
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Greetings from InterContinental Miramar Panama,

Firstly thank you for sharing your review with other travelers on Trip Advisor. I will pass this message to the Chef and restaurant staff to make sure they read how much you enjoyed the variety of options we offer to our guests. It will be more than an honor to have you back in all of your trips to Panama City, that way you can enjoy again some relax time at the pool after days of working.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in your next visit, and thank you again for sharing.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

This was our third trip to Panama, but our first stay at the InterContinental Miramar Panama. We previously stayed in a newer hotel in Panama City with many more options for dining and entertainment and more services, but found more personal service and friendly staff here at the Intercontinental Miramar. They made us feel at home everywhere we went in the hotel. We appreciated the upgrade to a suite with a straight-on, beautiful ocean view. While the street is below, it did not bother us at all or take away from the ocean view. The room itself may be a bit older, but it was still quite nice. You can see efforts have been made to upgrade the hotel rooms. The beds were comfortable and we slept well.
Because my husband was working, he relies heavily on good wi-fi and it worked well without incident.
The food in the restaurant is average, but the staff were friendly and accommodating. We chose the evening buffets for the choices and one night, the theme of the buffet did not have any fish, which I enjoy. I just made a passing comment to the host and he offered to have the chef cook some fish for me and include it in the buffet price. That was good customer service and well appreciated. The live piano music in the dining room at night is wonderful and enhances the atmosphere. We also had privileges in the Club Lounge. The staff there was unbelievably nice and I wish I could thank them by name. We felt totally spoiled by them. The breakfasts were complete and the evening cocktails and appetizers were of good quality.
We had fun on night in the lobby bar
The housekeeping staff I encountered were also very helpful. I needed a couple of things from them and they promptly brought them and asked if I needed anything else like they meant it.
We plan to return to Panama and hope to stay at this hotel again. We have now stayed at 3 different hotels in Panama and this is our number one choice because of the great ocean view and their wonderful staff.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shirley C
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Shirly,

Greeting from InterContinental Miramar Panama,

Firstly thank you for taking some minutes of your valuable time to share with other travelers your recent experience at our hotel. I really appreciate the fact of reviewing a little bit about every department you had interaction with. Our number one goal and priority is to accommodate in the best way possible our guests needs during their stay, and I can see that you got to experience that extra mile our staff provided to you during the stay.

I will personally communicate this review to every department of the staff because I feel is imperative for them to know, that our guests really appreciate their work. You know you have a second home here with us; it will be an honor to have you and your husband back in your next visit to Panama City.

Thank you again for sharing, enjoy a beautiful week back home,

Warm Regards

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Clean, quiet rooms with a fantastic view of the ocean. Service was impeccable and location cannot be missed. For a few nights stay in Panama City and the daily stress when driving, this place was a real treat after a few days' business trip.
Would stay there again.

Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank RoundandAround1981
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Firstly thank you sharing on Trip Advisor your recent experience at our hotel. Thanks to comments like yours, we keep on getting better day by day and offering that extra mile to our guests. I am delighted to read that even though the stress, we were able to offer you a fantastic view, clean and the most important quiet and comfortable stay.

I will be glad to welcome you back to our country, either for business or with the whole family to visit for vacations. The entire staff remains at your disposal and hope to see you back soon!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed September 16, 2013

The Sunday buffet lunch in the Miramar is almost a Panamanian institution. You will see everyone from smart young couples with chicly dressed babies, tourists, grannies in their Sunday best, celebrating families, business people. There is a twinkly pianist at the grand, and as much as you can eat: from the many groaning counters, choose sushi, ceviche, prawns, salads, cold cuts, Chinese dumplings, soups, roast turkey and ham, paella (no, don't have the paella) or have one of the servers prepare you a dish of pasta with your own choice of seafood, vegetables, et al. The dessert table is an extravaganza of cakes, mousses, trifles, truffles, a chocolate fountain and fresh fruit. Meanwhile, the waiting staff refill your glasses with cava, wine, mimosa and water until you say Enough is enough.

It has to be said that the food is not great - but if you like this kind of thing you will love it - but the opportunities for people watching are terrific. You could write novels about the people at the next table.
It's best to book. It's about $40 a head - senior citizens get a discount.

This review refers only to the Sunday buffet - I have not stayed in the hotel which is on the Avenida Balboa overlooking the sea but I do live nearby at the moment and I guess the rooms would be noisy - ask for one on the Oceanside.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from InterContinental Miramar Panama,

Thank you for posting your comments about the Sunday Brunch at hour hotel. Thank you for pointing out the variety of food we offer from desserts, to sushi, sea food, wine, mimosas etc. As you mentioned, yes it is a very well known and popular place for Panamanians to gather on Sundays for the last 15 years, it is well known for the variety, live music, quality and service in general.

We invite you to escape a little bit from the routine, and stay one night in one of our ocean view rooms, That way you could live the InterContinental experience and spend a comfy night without the external noises of the city. The rooms were specially done to avoid these types of situations to our guests and make their stay as comfortable as possible.

Thank you again, and we hope you give us a try for, breakfast, lunch or dinner next time.

Enjoy a great week!

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I should have written this sooner as we had our event and stay here in July 2013 because I feel that the rating for this hotel on tripadvisor is unfairly lower on the list of hotels in Panama City. While I do think that management has some work to do with their staff at reception and in the dining room, I still would give this hotel at least a 4 rating and could go to a 4.5 rating because the good things outweighed by far the bad things. I decided to go back home to celebrate my 50th birthday and my extremely talented 13 year old son spent several months doing extensive research on where to hold the celebration in Panama City. He decided on the InterContinental Miramar for its beautiful salon overlooking the bay, the excellent packages offered for the catering and great location on the cinta costera. My birthday party was an extraordinary success and I owe a lot of it to the excellent service we received from the Sales staff but in particular to the service staff. They ensured from the beginning that everything would run smoothly from the decorations to the band to the food and drinks. The waiters and waitresses took great care of all the guests and everyone was more than satisfied in the end. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a place to hold a celebration/event.

Many friends and family came from abroad, too, and like me, stayed at the InterContinental. The rooms are spacious and because of the event we were given rooms with great views. I don't know why others have found anything wrong with the rooms, they are truly deserving a 5 star rating. The rooms were quiet, everything was clean and working well and the beds were very comfortable. The pool is large and there are plenty of sunbeds. Good food and drinks served by the pool, too, we had a lot of fun. I didn't use the gym but I hear from my cousins that it is good.

However, where my friends and I feel that the management needs to do some serious work is with the staff at the reception and in the dining room. I had a hard time getting taken care of at reception; the clerk would answer the phone in the middle of a discussion with me without excusing herself and then instead of putting them on hold, she would take care of their business while I stood there waiting. This happened several times to several of us. Not all of them were like this, one in particular gave us good help on one occasion but it happened too many times to not disappoint us. In a discussion about room assignments the receptionist argued with me even though I explained that her colleague had given me different information.

The dining room has an excellent buffet breakfast and Sunday champagne brunch that amazed all of us with the quality and variety of food and the reasonable price. However, at breakfast and during the buffet it is difficult to get the attention of the waiters and waitresses and the tables aren't completely set in the mornings. One has to wait a long time for silverware or drinks. There are many waiters so I don't think the problem is that they are understaffed; they just don't work fast enough and don't seem to be too happy about serving the clients.

With the numerous 5 star hotels now in Panama and many to come, the InterContinental group of hotels needs to protect their brand. They need to train their front desk and dining room staff properly. To pay attention to details (probably the most important issue), give service with a smile and be quick on their feet. Otherwise, they will be just one more hotel because the competition is increasing very rapidly with the increase in visitors and business in Panama City.

I will stay here again and their rates are competitive. And, as I said above, their events people are wonderful. But most people who are going to Panama are going there for business or shopping. and if they don't give clients the attention they deserve, they will lose their custom to other brand hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view of the bay
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ontheroadgeneva
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Guest Geneva,

Greetings from InterContinental Miramar Panama,

Firstly thank you for posting and sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. Never is too late to express to other travelers the good time you spent in your last stay with us, and we really appreciate it.

I will personally pass this review to the whole events/banquets team so they know that the effort they do is highly appreciated by our valuable guests. I hope you choose us again in the future for any type of celebration, and if not we will still be more than glad to have you back visiting our country once again.

Regarding some of the areas of improvements that you pointed out in your review, I also appreciate your good advice since it helps us improve to provide better and higher standards of services in all of the hotel areas. I will take into considerations your advice and talk to the managers and supervisors of each department so the corrective actions will be taken immediately.

Once again thank you for sharing, you now have a second home here in Panama City, and we hope we could see you again in the near future so you can enjoy again some relax time at the pool and have delicious Sunday brunches.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Had only one night here but will definitely come back. Nice rooms (got upgraded to a suite), good club lounge (if your Ambassador member) and great staff. It's only a few minutes by taxi to the beautiful old town (Casco) and some 20 minutes to the Panama Canal. Had a taxi take us to the Miraflores tourist center for the canal (yellow public one) and had him wait before going to Casco. Paid USD25 (not a good negotiator but very happy with his service which lasted for two hours). The red tourist bus (hop on, hop off) also stops a block from the hotel. Costs USD29/person. We had limited time and chose taxi. The Intericontinental Miramar has quickly become one of my favourites. Saw a big outdoor pool but didn't try it.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank great_squasher
Jackvine P, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Andres,

Greetings from InterContinental Miramar Panama,

Thank you for sharing your review; it was a pleasure to read about your enjoyable stay. It is such a compliment to know that your visit was memorable.

Is our goal to rewards our VIP guests the way they are used to at other InterContinentals, and I am happy to hear how much you liked your upgrade a suite with city and ocean view. The hotel is ideally located in the heart of the city, just blocks away from the main touristic places and malls as you mentioned.

We do hope we can welcome the next time you visit our beautiful country for another memorable experience. Once again thank you for sharing and next time we hope you get the chance to enjoy some drinks or snacks at the pool.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

this gotel definirely has the best view in panamá city it reminded of Miami with a nice boardwalk in front of it by the canal the breakfast was delicious on the 5th floor and away from the busy restaurant romos were beauriful and english speaking was great

Room Tip: like suites
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Jackvine P, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Miramar Panama, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Jessica,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your recent experience at InterContinental Miramar Panama. I am glad to hear how much you liked the view we offer of the Boardwalk or Cinta Costera, and especially for the comments about the food and staff on the 5th floor. Our main goal is to pleas our guests needs and provide high standards of service all the time.

Thank you again, and we hope this won’t be the last time you visit our beautiful country. I remain at your complete disposal and it will be an honor to have you back in the future.