Our stay here started with some glitches but was taken care of INSTANTLY. When we checked in, as an Intercontinental Ambassador, we were supposed to get a GUARANTEED room upgrade. The lady at the front desk apparently was not familiar with this as she said that is was "based on availability" and they did not have any suites available at the moment. Luckily for us there was a manager/supervisor, nice gentleman by the way, at the check in area who immediately took care of the situation by upgrading us to a 2 bedroom suite, instead of the "unavailable" 1 bedroom suite. The free bottled water/fruits/gift (ambassador perks) was also not in the room and upon inquiring at the front desk, we were told that we checked in too early and we should get it sometime soon. 2-3 hours later the "situation" was solved by the same manager/supervisor who said that we should have gotten it immediately. 5 minutes or so after talking to him, we got the "stuff" delivered to the suite.
The suite had a great view of both the city skyscapers and Panama bay itself. City/Sea View from both bedrooms, bathroom and the porch. The suite could use some upgrading though and maybe some TLC as it is probably due for a makeover. Minor stuff like nicks and dings in the dining table, headboards, etc etc.... Not something one would expect from an Intercon, but not a really big deal.
Also no bathtub, strange for this star level. Maybe the regular rooms did have them, but the suite did not. Also, to use the Jacuzzi/Sauna at the Spa they charge $10, talk about nickle and diming. We had free internet (another perk of being an intercon ambassador) so I can't complain about that but it is fairly standard for Intercontinentals around the world to charge for wifi.
The staff at the executive lounge were very courteous and professional. Food at the lounge was outstanding, as well as the variety of available drinks. Way above average I would say, compared to other executive lounges at other Intercontinental hotels. Breakfast at the lounge was EXCELLENT as well, no complaints whatsoever about the executive lounge. 10 Stars all the way...
My recommendation to the hotel management would be to familiarize the check in staff with the ambassador program and that way avoid any inconvenient situations. Other than that and the minor maintenance issues with the room this place is definitely a place I would go back to.
The hop-on-hop-off tourist bus stops at the park right across the street (urraca park). Use this if you have limited time or if there are 1-2 persons in your party. 3-4 people, you would be better off hiring a taxi by the hour as they charge about $10-15 an hour (5-6 hours should be more than enough to see/tour the PC tourist attractions) . The tourist bus charges $30 pp for a "24 hour" pass, 9-5 actually but I guess 24 hours sounds better. It goes to the Canal, shopping centers, Casco Viejo, Amador, City of Knowledge, downtown/banking area.
Would I stay here again? Yes, but only if I get the free room upgrade, executive lounge priveleges. Also weekend rates are much cheaper that weekday rates. We actually moved to the Riu, after the weekend, another great hotel in PC for about half the price of the Intercon.
If you need a taxi, just walk to the back of the hotel and flag one from the street. Hotel "taxis" will charge you AT LEAST 100% more than the regular rate. $5 is the most you should pay to go anywhere int the PC area in a regular taxi.
Also, as a final note, just about all kinds of restaurants deliver in PC. Chinese, sushi, fast food joints, local cuisine, etc etc. You do need to go down to the lobby to get the food as they cannot deliver to the room but you will definitely save $$$'s by doing this.
In summary, stay here for the views, executive lounge, location... Price sensitive travellers could get a better deal, price wise, by shopping around as PC is now a "buyer market" when it come to hotel rooms.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the Pacific Ocean, Panama Bay and the financial district, this luxury Panama City hotel is ideal for business or leisure. Boasting spacious ocean view suites and a scenic walkway that takes you direct to the marina, the hotel is the perfect spot for watching vessels as they enter the famed Panama Canal. Relax at our poolside restaurant or indulge in a spa treatment. You're ideally located for designer shopping and local markets or exploring the colonial old town of Casco Viejo. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your InterContinental Miramar Panama reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Miramar Panama Hotel Panama City
- Intercontinental Panama City
- Intercontinental Miramar Panama City
- InterContinental Miramar Panama Panama City