“An "OK" Hotel”

Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis
Ranked #13 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Hard Rock Cafe Hotel, the hotel of the moment at Panama. I spent 10 days at this hotel and would like to tell you my feedback. When you arrive there lots of hostess greeting you and pointing you to the check in desk but they don´t even get it right because there is a desk for large groups booked through a travel agency and there is a desk for individual check in which was where i went. The checking in went smooth, check in is at 4 pm if you need an early check in they will charge you $75.00.

The Lobby is nice, classic Hard Rock Hotel Style, filled with famous artists clothes and other famous people memorabilia. The Hotel has 62 levels it is in from of a Mall which has direct access from the hotel to the mall. The rooms where brand new and ok for my taste, nothing to brag about. There is no direction for anything, what to do, where to go, who to call, etc. I spent a lot time figuring out where everything was in the hotel.The breakfast buffet is amazing as well as the lunch buffet although expensive. I tried to go to the top deck which has an amazing view but I got kick out there from a hotel staff, she told there was a private party and guest were not allowed, but there were more than 80 empty chairs, this was a bad experience for me.

I spent my 10 days at this hotel where I enjoy an ok time, but I will not be staying here anymore, I will look for other options when I´ll come back to Panama. In my opinion a Hotel of this statue should have all details taking care of, great customer experience, guidance, etc, etc.

Have a great stay in Panama

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
HardRockMegapolisPA, Guest Service at Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Dear Jaime C.

Our Hard Rock Band wants to thank you for sharing your experience during your stay at our Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis.

Thanks to comments and feedback like yours we can learn more about our opportunities to improve our Service even more. We want to rock our guest´s worlds and pamper them like the Rock Stars they are.

Guest Service

Write a ReviewReviews (5,641)

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The views are magnificent from the 62nd floor disco, we danced and had a blast. My room was on the 48th floor and it was a treat to look at the city at any time of day. The check in was smooth and the personnel were friendly. All you have to do is be nice and acknowledge them and they will be courteous. Centrally located and conveniently located across one of the malls. The room was classy, clean and brand new.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Janneth Rector!

Thank you so much for sharing your rocking experience while staying with our Hard Rock Band at our Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis.

We appreciate your comments about our 62nd floor disco, location and our classy rooms.

We hope to have you in our stage soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked this hotel based on the reviews. The one thing that concerned us before we went was the comments about the staff, not being properly trained etc. Most of these comments were older and we thought the problem would have been rectified. It's not.

Our first impression was the check in. The guy that we dealt with was terrible. It took just over 40 minutes to check us in. I watched as other people showed up and were done in minutes.

The service from then on was 50/50. We did have some great service from some of the staff, and then we would run into someone who had no clue about customer service.

We went to sit at the pool on a very hot day. Thinking about a cold drink, I counted 9 staff in the pool area, not one of them thought to ask if we wanted a drink. When we finally got to order, and paid, the waiter informed us we were no longer guests. I informed him that indeed we were guests and asked him to check again, He never returned with an explanation. I then had to check at the front desk to see what was going on. I was told that all was in order.

The hotel was nice, good location and nice rooms.

Do not use the hotels cabs. They are all white cars or vans. They cost 3-4 times more than a regular cab you can get on the street 1 minute from the entrance. We were quoted $22.00 by the hotel cabs to go to dinner. We walked for 30 seconds and got a cab for $3.00.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
HardRockMegapolisPA, Guest Service at Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Dear Sn0rts!

We are very sorry that our service did not meet your expectations during your stay. Having inattentive staff members at the front desk and in our bars is unacceptable, and we want to acknowledge that this is not the standard of service normally experienced at the Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis.

We sincerely apologize for the service that you received and we really appreciate the time you took to provide us with your feedback, so we can take all the corrective actions we must in order to offer you the service Hard Rock is really known for.

We hope to see you again soon and if there's anything else we can assist you with please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards

Reviewed July 21, 2013

The rooms at the Hard Rock are fantastic. Comfortable bed, great shower, plenty of room to spread out and very quiet. Great ocean & city views.

The hotel is very centrally located - it's attached to a mall (lots of familiar names as well as local chains) with movie theater. It's also a short walk from the restaurant and nightlife district.

The Tapas restaurant is outstanding. As with most places in Panama City, men be sure to wear long pants as shorts are not permitted in the restaurant. You can sit just outside the restaurant in their bar seating but we found that filled quickly.

The breakfast buffet is MASSIVE. All the standard breakfast buffet fare you'll find in Panama and then some. The fruit station alone is a thing of beauty. And even with the size the service is quick and efficient. I also dug the swinging Jetsons-esque decor. Fun place to start the day eating any number of tasty breakfast treats.

I have but one complaint, it's loud. Yes I get that it's a Hard Rock and that whole Rock n' Roll deal is their thing but you can't escape the noise here until you get to your room. There's a beautiful bar on the 2nd level next to the Tapas restaurant where I'd go for a post work cocktail and even at 6 or 7pm it felt like I was in a club. It wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't just so darn loud. As in shouting at the person sitting 2 feet from you in the lounge seating. As in lights changing from red to green to pink to blue to yellow in the span of a few seconds. It's all just a bit much.

You'll often read about customer service in Panama and how it can be on the cold or aloof side. I found the staff here to be hit or miss. I had one girl who had studied at an American school in Panama and you could have sworn you were talking to any young 20 year old girl from the US. At other times, the service was on the colder side. You just have to be persistent and patient, eventually you will get passed to someone who wants to help.

For the rooms and the comfortable bed, I recommend the hotel. Plus it's location and great in-house food (seriously, cannot recommend the Tapas place enough.) I can't give it an "Excellent" simply because of the decibel level that is nearly inescapable and quite grating.

Room Tip: Ocean side, higher up the better the view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Dear Erin O.

Overall, it sounds like you had an authentic experience with us. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our Restaurants, quiet guest rooms and central location.

We hope you will keep us in mind the next time your travels bring you to Panama. Thanks again for the review!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Really great location and attached to a mall. Great for tourists who want to take the tour bus around to the Canal... etc... Amazing pool area, sat out there for hours. Respectful staff and nice accommodations. Lots of Americans and South American tourists. ROCK SPA was GREAT!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
HardRockMegapolisPA, Guest Service at Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Dear Travel To Much52392!

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed everything about your stay and we will absolutely share your positive comments about our acommodations, staff and our Rock Spa!

We hope you plan on returning to Panama soon, and we look forward to welcoming you back and rock you like a hurricane!

Best regards,

Reviewed July 14, 2013

Had a good time because meeting with great friends again. My room was on floor 55 and my friend's room in floor 22. We could not visit each other because you can only access your floor with your key! I can say that the best thing was the view from my room.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
HardRockMegapolisPA, Guest Service at Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Osvaldo C.!

Our whole staff strives to make our guests happy and thanks to feedback like yours we are able to use them as tools to improve our service even more each day.

We hope you come back in the near future and give us the oportunity to impress you with our service.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was my first time in Panama city and my first experience of a Hard Rock hotel. My first impression was a good one, very friendly and efficient check in, fast elevators, spacious and modern room.

We chose a room with a balcony on a high floor (37). The view was very impressive and it was nice to step out of the air conditioned room to a nice breeze and enjoy the peaceful view of the ocean and buildings. Our room was very spacious, very comfortable bed and wonderful bathroom with a shower you never want to step out of. The lighting is quite dim, so if you're looking for bright lighting bring your own. The room was very quiet and there was no disturbance from any other guests of workers.

The hotel itself is very glamorous and shiny, reminiscent of a nightclub. The style isn't mine but I can appreciate the effort and thought behind it. It's the Hard Rock, individual and boutique are not it's selling points, if you prefer that, look elsewhere.

We ate in CIAO the very first night we arrived, it was late and seemed like a good choice...it wasn't. The food we got that night was bland and very expensive, lamb dish & rib eye/scallop dishes. We were going to sit at the bar for a couple of beers but the "House band" were dreadful and because of that seemed excruciatingly noisy.
We did have a few beers on our last night at "Mamie Lee's" bar, ate sliders & Dim sum from CIAO menu, the food was edible and hit the spot. Included in our rate was a $20 voucher daily towards food or drinks at any of the bars/eateries in the Hotel, this was very welcome but we only used it on our last night. Note, take the voucher with you to breakfast or anywhere you intend to use it.

Breakfast daily was also included in our rate, I thought the breakfast was terrific. It was a large buffet of everything from pastries, cheese, meats, fruit, cereals, yoghurt, hot plates of native food and a breakfast station for eggs & omelets. What more could you ask for?

I spent a few hours by the pool on a couple of occasions, I was happy the chairs were in the shade as I am not a sun seeker, so I found the shaded breeze very pleasant. The pool was cold, warms up after a couple of minutes like any pool would. It's a city roof pool, so don't expect a pool you'd find at a beach side hotel. It was a nice change to lounge by the pool surrounded by skyscrapers. I found it relaxing.

Overall, It was a great stay, the city is wonderful, but there are a lot better places to eat and drink in the city, so I recommend use your voucher by the pool and look elsewhere for entertainment and food. Having said that, I did not go to the nightclub located in the Hotel.
I may try another hotel the next time I return to Panama, but, I do think I would return to the Hard Rock again sometime, I loved the rooms and the location was as convenient as anywhere.

Be warned, the majority of the service staff are sullen & indifferent, do not expect smiles and efficiency, apart from the pool staff perhaps, everyone else appears to have no interest in their jobs at all, and don't care if you are the recipient of that attitude. Check your final bill at check out, we were charged a tip at Mamie Lee's (Supposedly for using the voucher), even though we left a cash tip that night. It was removed, but not without some eye rolling and pouting by the check out staff.

Room Tip: Request a high floor with a balcony and view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
HardRockMegapolisPA, Guest Service at Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Dear Ceeryweery!

We are so thankful for your positive feedback during your recent stay in our Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed everything about your stay and we will absolutely share your positive comments about our,rroms, bars and our rocking rooms.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back.

Best regards,