“Room Flooded, Compensation refused, other guests treated differetnly”

Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis
Ranked #14 of 115 Hotels in Panama City
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Let me start by saying that I have stayed at the hard rock in Las Vegas, San Diego, and Bali and was more than happy with the service and experience. The experience I had in Panama was by far the worst I've had at any of the Hard Rock hotels. I should also mention that I am fluent in Spanish.
I will summarize my experience below:
My group of 5 (includiing myself) arrived on Saturday the 5th of January 2013 and stayed for two nights. The check-in process was uneventful and went smoothly. On Monday morning I received a phone call waking me up from the front desk. Apparently the entire floor had flooded and they were calling to warn me. At that point the entire floor of the room was flooded and much of our luggage, clothing and some documents we had were wet. They sent in a housekeeper to clean it up. I understand that these things happen and at this point I chalked it up to a freak occurrence. The same thing happened to the other room our friends were in as they were on the same floor. Upon check-out later that day we expected that the hard rock would offer some sort of compensation for this inconvenience. This was not initially offered. We pressed the issue and were told that these things happen and that nothing could be done for us. Our friends who had previously checked out had received a 10% discount. We mentioned this and were told that while our friends would receive a 10% discount on their room, we would not. I was very surprised by this. I am confident that any other Hard Rock location that I have stayed at would have handled this differently. Additionally I am confident that any other Hard Rock location would have offered more than a 10% discount. Also the fact that the hotel would treat 2 groups of guests in the same situation differently struck me as extremely unprofessional and an example of a poor business practice for a hotel like the Hard Rock. After a little back and forth the manager at the front desk told us that if we returned she would provide us with a two bedroom two bathroom suite for the price of regular room. While we were not satisfied with this, we accepted because it appeared that it was all we were going to get. We checked out that morning and went to visit San Carlos for 1 night.
After 1 night in San Carlos during which our car was broken into we decided to return to Panama City. The fact that there was no surf also influenced our decision. We decided that despite our unsatisfying experience we would give the Hard Rock second chance and take them up on the offer for a two bedroom sweet, two bathroom sweet for the price of a regular room. Upon our arrival we spoke to the front desk person and explained to them what had been offered mentioning the manager who offered it by name. The front desk person told us no problem and that they would be happy to help us. We were then told that no 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom suites were available. This was a Wednesday night. We protested and were again told no and that the best they could do was a 1 bed 2 room suite and that another bed would be provided which was not a rollaway bed. We begrudgingly accepted this offer and went to the room. About 20 minutes later the bell hop showed up with a rollaway bed. We explained to the bell hop our situation and he was sympathetic. He was able to get a manager on the phone that we could speak to who said that they would resolve this for us. This was finally something good. I believe her name was Cindy. She was able to get a room swap for us to a room which met the requirements that were originally promised. This process took approximately 45 minutes. The bottom line here is that we were blatantly lied to by the front desk personnel and a lot of our time was wasted.
In conclusion I would like to say that while I was extremely dissatisfied with the way were treated by the some of the staff people, the uneqaul treatment of different guests in the same situation, and the lack of satisfactory compensation for a flooded room, some of your staff did go the extra mile to “get it done” (specifically: Cindy and the Bell Hop who brought the rollaway bed). That said you should know that I plan on posting this review on multiple travel websites and I hope that this review does not fall on deaf ears.
Sincerely
Michael Michaud

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Michael M
HardRockMegapolisPA, Gerente at Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2014

Dear Michael M, thank you for taking your valuable time to provide us with your feedback about your stay at our magnificent Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis in 2013. We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back in the future so that you can experience the excellent service that we are known for. We regret that the efforts made by our staff to compensate the incident were not up to your standards. We are always endeavoring to pursue ways for us to keep improving the Rock experience. We would love a second chance in 2014 so we can show you what we are all about. ALL IS ONE.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We loved the place- great location and just fun, fun, fun. We liked the rock and roll atmosphere and the restaurant and the rooms were comfortable and funky! Breakfast was the best - super big and included plus we got $20 drinks per room - not sure if I would stay forever but for a night it was a smash!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank ToniS1111

Dear ToniS1111, thanks a bunch for your cool review from your visit in 2012. We would love to have you back on stage in 2014! We are more than happy to know that we were able to rock your stay. We hope to see you soon so we can roll out the Red Carpet to you again! LOVE ALL, SERVE ALL.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

I travel several times a year often to rather remote locations and am very forgiving when evaluating hotels etc.. I am also very low maintenance and don't need many amenities.

Having said that I was completely shocked at how bad the customer service was at this hotel. I was part of a group of 8 that booked two suites. We emailed them on more than a few occasions explaining that we would be coming in very late (4AM) and if possible have the two suites together. The response was "no problem".

After arriving at the stated time we were told no suites or individual rooms were available. They blamed us for booking it incorrectly. Thankfully we printed out the reservation and they consented. They then quoted us very high room rates (more than the suites) after initially telling us no rooms were available. More arguing ensued and after about an hour and a half we ended up taking our individual rooms of which one of them had a backed up toilet. They sent someone up and he was in there for about 2 hours trying to plunge it. They were unable to clear it and refused to assign another room.

The next day we did get two suites not on the same floor. As others have stated the elevators are horrible. Around breakfast time there is no point trying to wait for an elevator. We ended up using the stairs about half our stay. Thankfully we are young and were able to climb or descend 15+ flights.

Throughout the rest of our stay we were met by more rudeness and incompetence. On New Years eve we planned on attending the roof top party and wanted to buy tickets. This would seem like an easy task to accomplish right? Wrong. The day before (30th) when buying them they said we had to come back the next morning to exchange the receipt for the ticket. We kept getting told different times and places where to pick them up. I ended up sitting in several lines only to be told around 9PM you just had to show the receipt to get in.....

There were some positives to the hotel. The rooftop party after getting in was a lot of fun and the view of the skyline was breathtaking. Having stayed in both an individual room and a suite I can comment on both. They are both very spacious and quite nice. The pool is situated around the 12th floor and has a nice view of the city.

In spite of all the negatives we were ready to leave having had great time New Years eve but then came the checkout. They tried to charge all of us an extra room. Once again they were rude and gave us a hard time about it. The guy next to us was having the same argument and he ended up telling them he was leaving and would simply block the charges on his credit card. The checkout process took an hour, most of it arguing with the staff until they finally agreed to remove the extra rooms we never stayed in from the bill.

I would highly advise not staying here, the staff overall were horrible except and the hotel has so many logistical problems which is perplexing since Hard Rock is a large international chain and you would think they could put together a better product.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank VaJax

Dear VaJax, thank you very much for taking your valuable time to comment on your stay at our magnificent Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis in 2012. We hope that you will present us with the opportunity to welcome you back in the future so that you can experience the excellent service that we are known for. We are always endeavoring to pursue ways for us to keep improving the Rock experience. We would love a second chance in 2014 so we can show you what we are all about. ALL IS ONE.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed two nights (one being New Years Eve) - and two nights was enough. First off, the service - well, you can't really call it that - was TERRIBLE. We were there on an all-inclusive and it's almost as though they are trained not to serve you if they see your wristband. It seems as though they have no procedures in place - they take your order, nod their head, then go off and do something else. There is lots of staff so it's not an issue of being short staffed - they just aren't trained properly. They ran out of towels at the pool. The elevators - OMG - what a joke! This is a massive hotel, and the elevators are slow, not programmed correctly. We waited on average 15 minutes to get an elevator and main times they were full. It was so bad that we ended taking the service elevators on several occasions. The food at the buffets was ok - not amazing. The rooms were nice. The lobby and common areas are really neat - lots of rock and roll memorabilia. The music is loud and everywhere - the only place to get away from it was in your room. Glad we tried it but I wouldn't stay here again - they need a lot of help in getting their attitudes and service up to par.

2  Thank TravelledalotCanada

Dear TravelledalotCanada, thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your 2013 experience. We were pained to read that you did not enjoy your stay in our hotel. We thank you for sharing your comments and we would love to have you on stage again and hope you will visit us in 2014 so we can show you the changes. TAKE TIME TO BE KIND.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

The hotel is beautiful and trendy- just like its other locations, however I could not have had a worst experience with their customer service. Upon cleaning our room, housekeeping broke the charger for my cell phone and camera (two vital items while traveling). I understand accidents happen, but I mistakenly assumed the hotel would, at the very least, reimburse me for a new charger or comp us something during the stay. After being put on hold multiple times before someone said they would be able to help us, we were told someone was coming up to our room to resolve the problem. Long story short, we waited in our room for over an hour, when we finally went down to talk to someone in person. They took my information, my email address etc and said the manager would talk to me the next day. No such luck. After multiple attempts over the next TWO DAYS of our stay to find someone to resolve this issue, and repeated promises that someone would get back to me, as we were CHECKING OUT, an "assistant manager" finally informed me that on my next stay at the Hard Rock PANAMA they would give us a free bottle of wine. Such a joke and the assistant manager could not have been more rude or dismissive.

With so many hotels to choose from in the area, there is no reason to stay here with the poor service, disrespectful staff, and classless management.

1  Thank Jackie G

Dear Jackie G, please accept our apologies with regards to the average experience you encountered in our hotel during your 2013’s visit. We were pained to read that you did not have an experience that Rocked; we thank you for sharing your comments and hope you will visit us in 2014 so we can show you the great changes we have implemented: you will be amazed! TAKE TIME TO BE KIND.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

To be fair, this hotel has incredible city views: I stayed in a suite for New Years Eve that could easily have accommodated a family of twenty! The room was extremely large and economical, but that doesn't make up for the rest of this hotel's shortcomings.

The service at the hotel and restaurants is appalling. I travel around 180 days a year, so I know what is a reasonable or unreasonable request. I'm not demanding. But all the employees I encountered during my four-day stay at this property were rude. Actually rude. There is no service culture here. There is no understanding of how to be courteous. And this is surprising for an international hotel (lest you think this is service in Panama in general, it's not -- other hotels here have wonderful service).

I also did not appreciate being asked for ID at the bar when I wanted to charge my bill - of $7 - to my room. When I told the server I did not bring ID down to the bar, security was called, and I was escorted to my room to collect my passport… to show the cashier that I was a registered guest. This bureaucracy was offensive, unnecessary and inconvenient.

When I went to get a haircut at the "international hair salon", I was also abused by the staff, who told me to "get out." It was only when I went to Guest Services that I was informed that the hair salon was a female-only zone. I was not aware of this and there are no signs notifying me that men cannot enter the hair salon. To the hotel's credit, Guest Services apologised to me and said it was unacceptable how I was spoken to by the spa staff, and they assured me that they do not "want people like that representing our hotel" and that disciplinary action would be taken.

The elevators at the hotel are also extremely slow. Easily the slowest I've encountered in any hotel in the past four years. The elevators have not been configured correctly and should be serviced: they are good machines but have been installed incorrectly. I stayed on the 41st floor and the elevator would stop at literally every floor on the way down to collect more guests, even though the elevator's 'overweight' alarm was sounding. One time an elevator had a power outage and I was stuck in darkness for 15 minutes in a car packed with 17 other people. The elevators should be programmed to do 'express' routes: no more than 3 stops per ride. Because waiting 20 minutes for an elevator - that's full - to arrive just isn't fun.

Finally, I asked the check-in agent, "Oh, is the hotel undergoing a renovation?" and was informed, "It opened six months ago." That is almost unbelievable. This hotel is not ageing well and looks very dated - and is falling to pieces outside. Expect early 90s architecture.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 4111, which has a phenomenal 180 degree view of both the city and sea.