“This was great and wow l have sailed the Panama Canal”

Panama Canal Partial Transit Tour
Melbourne, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“This was great and wow l have sailed the Panama Canal”
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

Thought this was going to be a long slow boat ride. But Gus the tour guide helped make sure it was informative and good fun. Plenty of large boats and activity in the canal and our boat moved quickly. Lunch was good and drinks were good and everything priced reasonably. Soft drinks and coffee etc free if you wanted beer you paid but $3 is cheap in any mans language

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Chooker20

• Slovak first
Panama City, Florida, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Bucket list check off aboard theCoral Princess”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

One of the most fascinating tours I have Ever been on. To be a hundred years old , with the technology available back then ,it is truly a marvel.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank dem0ry2
Ocean Ridge
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Coral Princess”
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We went throgh the canal on a partial transit. I learned so much, and really was amazed by the whole experience. There were very knowledgable narrators on the ship that talked about the history of the canal. The building of the canal, and the failed attempt. Then discussed how the Americans came inand saved the day to finish the canal. It will be 100 years old in 2014. It was amazing how close to the walls we were. They are building 2 more channels that will allow larger ships to go through the canal. That will be ready in 2015. I will go back.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank drporsche
Haslett, Michigan
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 131 helpful votes
“Different Perspective on the Canal”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

The partial transit through the canal provides an entirely different perspective on the canal and its operations than does a land visit to the locks visitor centers. This should be a must do for anyone visiting Panama with an interest in the canal. The passages through the locks show how much and how fast the ships rise, and how much water is needed for each passage. The passage through the locks is made with a ship, or in our case a ship and two tugboats. This required a fairly long wait outside the entrance to the locks while the next ship approached and entered the locks. The passage through the Culebra Cut gives a first hand view on the amount of earth that had to be removed during the construction of the canal, and the threat that landslides continue to pose to the canal. Currently, the efforts to widen and deepen the canal are ongoing, giving a good perspective on the extent of the dredging operations. You can also see some of the construction of the new set of locks.

We did the partial transit, which took from the 6:30 AM check in time to about 4:00 PM when we got back to the hotel. This makes for a pretty long day. I do not think that the complete transit would add much, other than several additional hours. Going through one set of locks is pretty much like going through any other set of larger locks.

There are apparently only two companies that actually conduct the partial and complete transits. However, the tours are sold by many hotels and tour companies. We unfortunately did the tour with "Canal and Bay Tours", and they did a very bad job overall. They depart from La Playita de Amador. My opinion is that they are trying to make as much money as possible and pay little attention to the quality of the experience or the comfort of the passengers. The boat that they used was very uncomfortable. I am doing a more complete review of poor service provided by "Canal and Bay Tours" separately. The other company is "Panama Marine Adventures". They depart from Flamenco Marina. We saw there boat anchored in Flamenco Marina and it looked much nicer than the one that we were on.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank MIHorseman
San Antonio, Texas, United States
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great Cruise”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I booked this Cruise on line before my trip. This was a Great "Partial Transit Cruise" - going through two locks. One time the side of a lock was so close I had a photo taken with my hand touching one lock side. Lots of BIG ships cruising with us through the Canal that day at the same time we were. When we cruised back to Panama City, I photoed 21 ships in line to enter the Canal.

We had lots of photo ops.

They picked me up 20 minutes late ( 8:50) at the hotel but I was prepared for that as they were picking up passengers at other hotels. I was the last person to return to my hotel in the afternoon, about 3:00 pm, but that was OK.

I did confirm on line plus had the Toscana Inn confirm twice by phone beforehand that they had my reservation and would pick me up at 7:30 am or shortly thereafter.

After reading several comments about the included "breakfast." I had my American/Panama buffet which was provided free at my Toscana Inn. The breakfast Cruise was "continental" style with pasties and coffee, etc., which after a big hotel breakfast, I opted out. We had a nice buffet "Panama" lunch with "spanish style" rice, salad or tomatoes, lettuce and cucumbers, etc., a veggie hot dish which included broccoli, onions, green pepper, etc., wonderful, mouthful, size, pork chunks ( you can easily overcook pork) and a beef, green pepper, onion, etc. dish. Plus a dessert which I did not have, as I was full.

The Transit was great. The "Tour" director spoke perfect English and spoke again in Spanish for the Spanish speaking travelers. I would surely recommend this company.

Visited September 2013