“Felt like Home”

Ranked #35 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
New York, New York, United States
“Felt like Home”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

It is beautiful place with the best staff available. They are mixed nationalities and do a great job in running the hotel together. All your needs are taken care of.
The art work is impressive. Clean and comfortable. Rooftop has amazing views and the best Mojitos, everything I ate was good. The location was also very good taxis are cheap. I REALLY enjoyed the hotel.

Room Tip: Room 5 and 10 are really cool!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Kitchen/Bar - Excellent food and service in a very well designed property. My immediate feeling was of having walked into part of Brooklyn or Williamsburg in NYC, mostly because of the simple design with modern esoteric artwork. Tantalo ceviche was great. In fact everything I ate in 2 trips here was good.

Rooftop bar has great views of both the old town and the new across the bay. Prices aren't cheap, but you are paying to be in a great location.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Grecia S, Guest Relations Manager at Tantalo Hotel / Kitchen / Roofbar, responded to this review, May 8, 2015
Dear Roger,

Thank you very much for all your kind comments.

We are pleased that you enjoyed our different environments at Tantalo Hotel / Kitchen / Roofbar, always full of art, good vibes, good service and surprises for our customers.

Massachusetts
Reviewed January 18, 2013 via mobile

We loved this boutique hotel! I have read reviews about it about the noise and it was not an issue for us! From start to finish we were so impressed! It's funky fun lively and totally "cool"! The art work & decor are so impressive and fun. The food and drink are all very reasonable and quite tasty. Breakfast was included in our booking and not the boring continental type! The whole area in under construction but promises to be a hip destination. I hope this old part of the city doesn't lose it's charm ! The entire staff were very professional and most accommodating! Kudos to this hotel, keep up the good work! We will spread the word!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Torypf,

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This place is loud. You either want the cool, bar scene late night noise or you don't.

That being said, it is tres cool. Great fit out, great art, helpful staff. On a Friday or Saturday night there is no way I would stay on the 3rd floor though if I wanted an iota of sleep. The rooftop bar is very loud and rocks on until 3 am. If you are at that bar though, and you are into mojitos, then this may be the place for you. I paid more and stayed in room 5 and it was fine - you can still hear the bass and the occasional 'woo-hoo' but it won't disturb your sleep.

I enjoyed the hotel.

Hope this helps your choices..

Room Tip: Any room on the second floor if you are a sleeper!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Located in the midst of the partially gentrified, partially squatted, and completed militarized Casco Viejo zone of Panama City, Tantalo is a high end boutique hotel with all the fixings - customized art themed rooms with top notch beds, showers and amenities, polished staff, great downstairs resto and bar and a rooftop bar with an unreal view of the Neo-Latin Cyberpunk skyline of downtown Panama city across the bay. Sounds great right? Well, Sound is the problem. The Tantalo roof top bar seems to be one of the most popular spots in town for lovers of insanely bumpin techno/dance/disco beats, and both the DJ and throngs of drunken revellers keep the party LOUDLY resonating well into the night (4 am on the Friday and Saturday nights we stayed).

If you are staying in Panama City and want to mingle with a sexy energetic crowd and hear great electronic music and intend on sleeping during the day, than I highly recommend Tantalo. However, if you want to sleep, or worse still, get up early to catch an Air Panama flight to Bocas or elsewhere, then you will likely end up cursing Tantalo, I know I did.

Sorry guys, but if you want to successfully straddle the line between hotel and night club, sound proofing the rooms is a must.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sandy H
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 9, 2013

This is a cool, stylish hotel. Our room had a Charles Bukowski theme, but was at the same time sleek and modern. The reception counter is right in the Tapas-style restaurant downstairs, which was bustling when we arrived at 11pm on a Friday. As we hadn't eaten, we were pleased that they served dinner until midnight, and had a late night menu until 3am. (Dinner was good and included several vegetarian options.) The downside was that the restaurant noise was quite audible in our room upstairs, as there is a large open space between them, including the two-storey "living wall". That's really our only criticism, and we were sufficiently tired that the noise didn't keep us up for long. The location in Casco Viejo is great, and, when the weather cooperates, the rooftop bar is a nice place for a drink.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Onesimusmaximus,

Thank you very much for all your comments and for sharing your experience.

NYC
Reviewed January 8, 2013

If your staying in Casco Vijeo (the old city), this has got to be the place you
stay for a taste of the modern renovations going on throughout the area. It's a
super hip boutique hotel.
Upon arrival, I was greeted by two sweethearts Larissa and Rita to check me in.
They were so nice and pleasant I fell in love instantly. It was new years day
and in the early evening so the hotel was a bit quiet and calm. They gave me a
standard room but there was an air conditioning malfunction so they upgraded me
to the next size up room, the Tropicexotoca room. I loved it more than words can
describe.
I then tried a bite to eat from the restaurant before they closed and tried the
octopus with tomatoes. Also amazing. They let me experience the rooftop while I
ate my dinner. They went as far as opening the closed rooftop up for me as it
was not in operation for business. Larissa came upstairs with me and had her
staff turn on the lights and the music while I enjoyed my meal and fresh breezes
and waited for some friends to come by the hotel and check out this amazing
place.
When I returned to my room later that night I found an enormous cockroach in my
bathroom. I can understand this as there is a lot of excavating and digging
though out the neighborhood. I woke up at 7am and looked out from my balcony and
down below were a team of construction workers around a large hole in the
ground. Improvements are constantly being made to the area. If u can take all
the small inconveniences and see for yourself how special this hotel is, you
will not be disappointed.
Finally after checking out and trying to withdraw cash from the ATM I come to
find out my account has a fraud alert freeze on it. I seriously thought I was
stuck because we could not reach the 800 number from the hotel. Luckily Rita and
another guest helped me get on skype from my iPhone to make the phone call.
Tantalo left a special place in my heart during my visit to Panama.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear RichiefromBrooklyn,

Thank you very much for all your kind comments.

We like to hear that our staff did everything possible to make you feel special