“Happening Spot and a Great Boutique Hotel”

Ranked #40 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
Fairfax, Virginia
“Happening Spot and a Great Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

This hotel has incredible energy and a great vibe. It's very trendy and is a hot spot at night for locals and tourists. While the energy level may not be for everyone, I highly recommend this hotel for the hip clientele who like being in the middle of the action. The restaurant food is excellent and the rooftop bar has a swanky bar/club feel. The rooms are huge and have their own unique art. Being in Casco Viejo allows you to walk around the old city and get a feel for the restoration underway. The manager and service was exceptional. Overall, it's a great hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul S
TantaloHotel, Gerente at Tantalo Hotel / Kitchen / Roofbar, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for your positive comments; it´s great to know you felt such a great vibe here!

We look forward to your next visit soon, and we hope you will let us know if you have any special requests during your stay... we are always ready to make your stay an incredible experience!

All the best,

Tantalo Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was my second trip to Panama, and in this opportunity I wanted find a place where I could have the perfect combination...a place where I could rest...get to know better the Casco Antiguo area...and where to party...so I decided to visit and follow a friend's recommendation...and to be honest this was the perfect choice.
When I was thinking about resting...I never imagine the comfort I found in the room of Tantalo!!! Its so spacious and with all the amenities you need. The best way to describe the comfort offered by room's bed is that it only reminds me of something...Morpheus hand!!! Because once you lay down...you will immediately fall asleep!!!
Tantalo's kitchen has a varied menu...with a very tasty and special touch!!! And the kitchen personal its very friendly and pleasant!!!
The very special touch Tantalo...I have to say is its Roofbar!!! Its view of the Panama city is just magnificent...and you try enjoy it having a Maracuya Mojito...is 100% recommended!!!
Saturday nights at the Tantalo Roofbar are just wonderful!!! In my case the Dj played just good and excelent set of music.
If you are looking for a recommendation...I fully recommend Tantalo Hotel to be your next spot where to stay in your next trip to Panama city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
We are very happy to see that you found the comfort you were looking for, here at Tantalo! We are constantly trying to find new and interesting things to provide our guests and clients with, in order to make the best out of their stay! Thank you for your generous compliments.

We would love to have you back; our Kitchen menu and our signature drinks vary from time to time and there are still many other treats for you to enjoy!

Best regards,

Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We picked Tantalo on a recommendation from a friend and from the good reviews on TripAdvisor, and were not disappointed. If you're looking for a fun spot right in the heart of the nightlife in Casco Viejo, Tantalo is perfect. It's very modern and hip, with a rooftop bar that's always active. The lobby restaurant is great as well, with a delicious breakfast included in the room rate. The rooms are very artsy and the one we stayed in (with the Bengal Tiger) was very large. Our only issue was that the water in the shower wouldn't stay warm, but the staff was exceptional and when told of our problems, they discounted our room. They were also very helpful in making arrangements in Panama City throughout our entire trip.
Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your compliments and for having stayed with us!

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and that you would like to come back; please feel free to contact us for any special requests in your next visit, wether you need to make arrangements inside or outside the city or if you need any accomodation specifications... Tantalo will always be ready to welcome you back!

All the best,

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 23, 2012

On a recent business trip to Panama, I wanted to avoid the 70-floor Trump (birther) Hotel or any of the other massive eyesores soaring up from the bay. Based on positive Trip Advisor reviews, I selected Tantalo, a funky boutique hotel with a “living wall” of plants in the lobby --the anti-Trump--located in Casco Antiguo, the colonial World Heritage site.

I booked a corner room with a balcony at $249/night and was given room 205. Remember room 205. Stylish with hip furniture and a trippy mural painted on the walls and ceiling, the room had no hot water for the four days I stayed there: not bone-chillingly cold, mind you, but breathtakingly frigid.

Complain I did. Every day. The staff (and I commend the hotel on their energetic and solicitous personnel) told me that maintenance was fixing the problem. It wasn’t until checkout that the manager informed me of the chronic plumbing problems that have plagued the corner suites since the hotel’s grand opening in March. And she confessed that not all the rooms suffered for lack of hot water: those lucky souls in rooms 202 & 204, cheaper rooms both, enjoyed unlimited hot bathing. Next time, she promised, I’d get to stay in one of those rooms.

Come again? I’d like to take this opportunity to officially commend myself for not ripping out the plants from the “live wall.” I was offered neither a discount nor a free granola bar from the mini bar.

I also feel it’s my duty to report significant inconveniences for the business traveler marooned in Casco Antiguo. For the next 3-5 years, as developers rehabilitate every dilapidated structure with a colonial façade, the zone will be one colossal construction site. No parking is available anywhere near the hotel and it’s difficult, sometimes impossible, to find a cab. If I wasn’t standing outside at the moment a colleague picked me up from the hotel, he was forced to take another 30-minute loop around the block. On Wednesday afternoon it took close to an hour (once I found a cab) to get to the nearest pharmacy.

I do want to give kudos to Tantalo for its cool vibe (excuse the pun), excellent Wi-Fi, a delightful roof bar with a wonderful view, and its delicious tapas-style communal dining in the lobby restaurant. I recommend the hotel (assuming you can get hot water) for leisure travelers looking for a hot, hip spot to party. But if you’re going to Panama on business, I’d avoid Casco Antiguo and stay somewhere else, but someplace other than the Trump.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank steve000001
, General Manager at Tantalo Hotel / Kitchen / Roofbar, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear steve000001,

Thank you very much for your compliments on the positive aspects you found at Tantalo; it is very important for us to give our guests an amazing experience and to have them come back.

In regards to your experience at Tantalo last week, we would like to apologize and make a few comments. During your stay we did our best effort in giving a quick and effective response to your comments and inconveniences related to the hot water issues. Our entire crew was aware of the problem and they all did their best to meet your needs and expectations, and specially to make you feel comfortable in spite of the problem, while we tried to solve it.
However, there are occasions where problem solving takes longer than we expect or want, for which we are very sorry.

We do apologize for not offering you a discount, but we truly hope you give us the chance to have you again as our guest, make up for the past inconveniences and provide you with excellent service, so you can fully enjoy staying with us. We hope to see you soon!

Best regards,

Tántalo Hotel | Kitchen | Roofbar
California
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Tantalo has all of the potential to be a fantastic hotel; unfortunately my experience of it though was a bit disappointing. First of all, the food in the restaurant is great and the rooftop bar is spectacular. In fact, it's almost too spectacular, because if you're staying on the top two floors you're likely to be kept awake by the music vibrating through the walls. Though the room itself was nice my view was directly into the kitchen of the hotel's neighbours, which meant I kept the blinds closed most of the time.

The area is great and the hotel looks good but I'd find it difficult to justify paying the premium to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank EcuaMatt
TantaloHotel, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Tantalo Hotel / Kitchen / Roofbar, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Dear EcuaMatt;

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on our property. We are working on the noisy issue. We are making adjustments to the volume levels throughout the night to try not to disturb both our guests.

However we would like to add that our hotel is quieter for those staying the nights of Sunday through Wednesday inclusive.

Best regards

Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 13, 2012

I travel extensively for work and go to Panama 4-5 times a year. Many new hotels these days are trying to be cool but its quite inauthentic, whereas Tantalo is the real deal. the design and decor are incredibly inspired and creative and much of the art I believe was done by Panamanian street artists. The vibe is incredibly cool and authentic but not pretentious. I stayed there on Saturday and Sunday night and the crowd on the roof and downstairs bars on Sat night was one of the most attractive and hip I've seen anywhere in a long time and far better than any other venues I've been to in Panama City. If I was a local I would hang out there every night.

The staff all speaks English and is very friendly and the food in the restaurant (both breakfast and dinner) is amazing (try the banana cake with dulce de leche for dessert). Service in Panama is generally poor but Tantalo seems to buck the trend. There was one occasion where I had to ask three times for a drink during breakfast but otherwise it was pretty much flawless.

I've stayed at most of the higher end hotels in Panama City and there is no other that competes with this one. And Casco Viejo has so much more character than the the hotels downtown.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Matthew S
San Diego, California, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2012

It was my first time visiting Panama, and Tantalo was a great place to stay. The food was excellent!! I tried everything they had to offer, my favorite was their breakfast sandwich, which I ate everyday, and one day I ate two. All the staff was very accommodating, super friendly and made the stay an extremely warm welcome .I would defiantly stay at Tantalo again if I would ever make it back to Panama. The rooftop bar was great place to start and end the night with great city views!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Dear JeremyD

Thank you very much for such an inspiring comment. It is very gratifying for us to know that our guests and visitors enjoy their stay and live the experience of our Restaurant and Lounge Bar Roof.

We definitely would expect to have you back, this is your home!

Best regards and happy travels