We stayed at this property for 3 nights on our way to Colombia. Our main objectives were to visit the Casco Viejo (Old City), take a tour of the canal, and spend a day at the beach/pool. The property is about a 45 minute drive from the airport and transport will cost $40-50. The hotel is quite large and attractive. We were greeted with a cold juice when we arrived and check-in was seamless. We had a Jr. Suite which had a table, sitting area and powder room separate from the bedroom which had the bed, bathtub, double vanity and a full bathroom. Our view was facing the fields and not the beach, but the room was certainly nice and large enough for two. Our stay coincided with a large corporate conference, so the property felt busy and the restaurants booked up early, so know going in that the property books large events. This made space at the pool a premium. FYI - There is a dedicated section for guests with SPG status, which we found during our last hour there. We found the concierge to be somewhat helpful but not reliably so. Perhaps they were overwhelmed by the conference, but on two occasions taxis we reserved were not ordered and twice the concierge forgot to follow up on our calls.
We found the food on the property to be fine. Not great, not bad, but fine. We wanted a good piece of fish and were disappointed with what we received. The fries were hit or miss. But on the whole, prices for food were fair/reasonable and the food was satisfactory enough to be enjoyable. FYI - There is an executive lounge for those with SPG status including a very well stocked happy hour.
A few things to know and research before booking:
The property is a $25 taxi ride to anywhere you want to go -- the Old City, a canal tour, shopping, etc. The property is a bit removed from the city itself, so the going rate is $25 to basically go anywhere or get back to the property. Getting back, you will hail your own cab and negotiate the fare, but it will be around $25.
There isn't really a beach at this property, at least when we were there in mid February. The tide doesn't come in until late in the afternoon. So during the day, there isn't anything to do on the beach besides tan. When the tide comes, the beach is quite small and we didn't really see anyone out in the water. It's just not that kind of property. There are some kayaks you can take out once the tide comes in however.
All in all, a decent place that's clean and relaxed; just know what you want to do before you book!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The personification of the destination: Where natural serenity meets industrial glamour - Westin Playa Bonita Panama is strategically located alongside the Pacific Ocean, on a mile long stretch of golden sand on Playa Bonita Beach, surrounded by lush tropical rainforests, and a quick 20-minute drive from the metropolitan capital of Panama City. Nestled alongside the stunning Pacific Ocean, The Westin Playa Bonita is near celebrated sites like the Panama Canal's Miraflores Locks and just a 20-minute drive from Panama City, the exhilarating capital of the Republic of Panama ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Westin Playa Bonita Panama reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Westin Playa Bonita Panama Hotel Panama City
- The Westin Playa Bonita Panama Panama City