The Westin Playa Bonita Panama
$206
  • Pool
Panama Marriott Hotel(Panama City)
$143
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
$109
Marriott Hotels
$169
  • Pool
Tryp by Wyndham Panama Centro(Panama City)(Great Value!)
$54
$144
$230
Bookit.com
Hotel Coral Suites(Panama City)(Great Value!)
$64
$59
Hard Rock Hotel Panama Megapolis(Panama City)
$166
  • Pool
Riande Aeropuerto(Panama City)(Great Value!)
$97
$91
  • Breakfast included
3,470 results
All reviewstierra y fuegostarfish grilllow tideplaya bonitapacifica restaurantbilly jeanall inclusive packagekids clubbeautiful resortpools are greatocean viewall inclusive plana la carte restaurantsgamboa tourspool areaships waitinglobby bar
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We recently returned from a fabulous holiday at the Westin. I must say I was apprehensive to return to this property after experiencing many openning issues in Dec/11. However the staff and management have truly showed they are dedicated and hardworking. From the moment we arrived we were greeted with smiling faces and many "welcome back". I found it so nice that so many of the staff came up to us and told us how happy they were to see us again and that they would be happy to help with anything we needed. We felt like VIP's. The hotel and property are definitely 5 star. I must thank Maria Gabriela, Guest Services, for making our return trip so perfect. This young lady seems to work around the clock. If you need anything, she is the person to contact! Her Englsh is excellent!
Dalia, Conceirge Desk also spoke very good english and was always more than happy to make reservations required. Dalia assisted us in booking a rental car for three days. The al a carte restaurants are very good. Manager, Roberto is always on hand to oversee and make sure your meals are to perfection. A special hi to Masar and Ilmelda waiters at the Asiana and Steakhouse. These two go beyond 5 star service. Our handicapped daughter was not feeling well one night at dinner and had laid her head on my lap..Masar suddenly appeared with a pillow for her! Now that is attentive! Breakfast was always great at the Pacifica. Our monrnings always started with a smile and good morning from Betsy. I personally would like to thank Alberto for always remembering my breakfast order and having them ready by the time I got to the station!
Should you be wanting to travel anywhere and would like to hire a taxi I would suggest Ana from VIP Taxi, you may request her outside the doors at the taxi stand. She is wonderful, her english is fairly good. We have used Ana on both our trips and in fact called ahead for her to pick us up from the Airport. We would definitely recommend the Westin Playa Bonita to friends and Family.
It is important to note this a high end hotel with all the amenities of 5 star hotel that offers an all inclusive option. It is not a Beaches, Rui or other huge all inclusive Carribbean Resort. It is an excellent property for conferences or for those not wanting a huge sprawling property. As well this property lends itself to those in need of handicap services. The property is easily accessible for wheelchairs.Finally I must thank everyone for a wonderful holiday and we hope return again!
I

Room Tip: Definitely request an oceanview room, otherwise you will overlook the "bus graveyard"
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kim L
Maria Gabriela U, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Playa Bonita Panama, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful remarks, which I have shared with staff, gives us a pleasure to know that you loved the visit to our hotel and enjoy all the nature. I personally congratulate my colleagues for their hard work.

We hope to see you again in Panama and enjoy your stay again at the Westin Playa Bonita Panama.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We stayed here about a week around Easter. Cost was about $200/night with breakfast. Our "upgrade" upon availability was not available.

Good Friday to Easter, the hotel was absolutely packed with people from the city for a weekend at the beach. All restaurants were open (2 buffets, 2 sit down, and 1 snack bar that also offered a buffet, and a poolside grill). By Sunday afternoon, they'd all left, and the hotel changed from atmosphere's completely - from salsa to new age relaxation music at the pools. Neither was better, just different, but something to keep in mind when visiting. But if it's busy, you'll have to reserve beach chairs if you want shade. Panama's less than 10 degrees off the equator, so you may want it more than you realize; I used SPF50 and still burned a bit, so we were glad when the shade stands were open when most left.

The building is nice and new. We both really liked the ocean view room - their website photo are accurate and the rooms are large. Get an ocean view or you'll look out over a bus graveyard for the "diablos rojos" that used to be the city's public transportation. It was neat too to see the ships lined up to go through the canal. Plenty of storage space, including a mini-fridge. The birds are raucous and start early, so try for a higher floor - we were on 12 and still heard them a lot.

The pools are very nice and the beach is not for swimming really (though some did at high tide), but it's nice to walk. There are no-see-ums, more at night on the grounds. I was bit a little, but not bothered; my wife was bit a lot more and they itched like mosquitos. Remember this if you eat outside on a calm night. The hotel does give you repellant (hand wipes).

Almost everyone was there on an all-inclusive deal for the first days. We only had breakfast included. Food is expensive - $32 for the lunch/dinner buffets and that doesn't include drinks. A la carte restaurants were about $20 entrees for the Asian and $30 for the steakhouse. So your food bill will add up quickly, and cabbing it into the city is probably at least $50 rt, so the all-inclusive may be a better deal than I thought when reviewing pricing options ahead of time. The food itself was okay. The steakhouse had good filet mignon, but my wife's chicken wasn't cooked through. The Asian was just okay - it wouldn't make it on it's on as a restaurant. The buffets were okay as well but nothing to get excited about - no jumbo shrimp or anything. The breakfast buffet was good though for breakfast.

Service is an issue to a certain extent. For example, we were going to call about loud fight next door one night but the phone didn't work. When we told them the next morning, no one ever came to fix it. Each guest gets a welcome package - internet, drink, or SPG points, but when we asked for internet ($24 otherwise), she gave us two access cards, never explaining it was per guest. One day we had breakfast when it opened at seven and all the food wasn't out (another day it was, but since there was another Westin employee there we hadn't seen before who only spoke English, I think they had an inspection and bumped things up a bit.) Personally, I thought the restaurant service was fine. We speak Spanish, so didn't have the communication issues others have mentioned, but you should understand that the vast majority of the guest are either from Panama city or Latin America; this isn't Cancun, and English everywhere by everyone down to the maids is an unrealistic expectation.

We did a couple of tours from Gamboa tours; one half day old city/canal, and one in the rainforest and Lake Gatun. I'd suggest combining them into the Mega tour that skips the city, where restorations are slow at best and for one colonial building restored nine are in ruins. The canal locks were more interesting than I expected. You can also use them for airport transportation, which is slightly cheaper for two than a cab, more so if you do it on-line ahead of time (if their fax machine is working to take your credit card information; they too have some service issues - the locals told us these service things were probably more about Panama in general as opposed to the hotel specifically).

I am glad we chose this hotel over a city hotel. We picked up some in the center on the city on the day tour and I would have hated to stay there as a vacation destination. The hotel there may be fine, but the city is loud, traffic filled (rush hour is all day), and a bizarre mix of luxury high rise condos/banks amongst deprecate buildings barely standing. For a truly beach vacation, I would try elsewhere, but we didn't have enough time this goaround to merit more flights/connections, etc.

Room Tip: Get the beach view even if it's a bit more. High floor for less a.m. bird noise.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

It is exciting to see that you had an awesome stay at the Westin. It is great to see that you enjoyed our location that is near and far at the same time from the city.

We apologize that our information at your arrival time was not complete regarding the amenities and services that the hotel offer. We will share your feedback with our staff team so we can ensure we continue to provide our guests with the important details.

We hope to welcome you back to the Westin Playa Bonita Panama.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

We recently stayed at the Westin Playa Bonita. We had a great stay. The front desk was efficient and friendly. The hotel is beautiful inside and out. We did the all inclusive choice( a first for us) There was always plenty to eat, fresh and inviting food and a delicious assortment of desserts that should please anyone. We did eat at Asiana off the menu one night and the service was super as well as the food. We expected to wait forever, poor quality, and rude service after reading earlier reviews but nothing could be any further from the truth. I can honestly say I never met one person that was rude or unfriendly. Anna at the lobby bar was especially delightful. She went above and beyond to make sure we were happy and also let me try my high school spanish in conversations with her. Please tell her that her friends in Boston will always remeber her kindness. The pool area is lovely and I danced twice with the hotel dancers participating in salsa and meringue lessons.(and they still let us stay!!!)It did take us a few days to realize the event list is posted in the elevator and changed daily. Maybe putting that info in room would help or on a station on the tv...we were upgraded to a room facing the ocean as my husband is a platinum member without asking. Our room was clean and roomy. We always try to tip everyone that deserves it and you definately get better service if you do. I watched some truly rude guests treat some help poorly...so tip people and try not to be an embarassment to America ok? I also had a great massage and took two tours with gamboa tours that were also well done.

Room Tip: 13th floor very quiet..definately ask for ocean view..we saw the dead bus yard..not cool but who sits in their room anyway?
1  Thank 41674kathy

It is wonderful to see that you had an excellent stay with us. We are happy to learn that you enjoyed the pool and that you found our salsa lesson very enjoyable. We appreciate your feedback regarding the quality of service that you received during your stay and we already shared your comments with our management team to correct these issues and ensure that this type of situation do not happens again.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Playa Bonita in Panama City, Panama for 5 nights with a large group. I wasn't too happy with the choice made by the group when I read reviews posted here but I was pleasantly suprised.

Location - the hotel is about a 20 minute drive from downtown Panama City so if you plan to be in the city your entire trip, this is not the best place to stay. However, if you plan to sightsee in the rainforest, at the Panama Canal, and the city, the hotel is in a great location. You are pretty central to all areas, more than you would if you stayed in the city. Also, the hotel is located on the only beach in the area.

Facilities - The hotel is very, very clean. Our room was kept very clean throughout the week with fresh towels every day. The bed is the super comfy Westin heavenly bed so it was perfect. The room was quiet and the design/decor was very nice. The flowers, landscaping are all very well done. The hotel is decorated well and has very cool light fixtures in all of the public areas.

Pool - Very clean, perfect temperature. My only complaint was that in order to have a chair that faced in the right direction for the afternoon sun, you had to get one on the grass and in some areas the grass got pretty muddy from the splashing pool. We were able to find an area that didn't get muddy every day though. There are a ton of seats in the shade, almost too many for us sunlovers. Good area for volleyball in the afternoons, good Latin music and a great swim up pool bar. There were plenty of towels at the towel hut.

Food - Everything we ate at the hotel was very, very good. We ate at the buffet every morning for breakfast and again for lunch most days. We did order lunch from the menu at Starfish and that was really, really slow. The burgers, dogs and nachos at the pool were very good too for a quick lunch or afternoon snack. We ate dinner at Asiana and it was ok, not anything super but fine. Other than that our dinners were large events with our group and the hotel did a great job with those dinners.

Beach - The beach does have extreme tides. At low tide the water does go out several hundred feet and exposes the rocks under the water. To us, this was a beautful part of the landscape and attracted birds and other wildlife. We didn't think it was in any way ugly or dirty as others have said. It is not a swimming beach (crocodiles) and is really too short for running but we took nice walks along the beach and enjoyed the scenery. There were no dead fish, sewage or trash as others have mentioned.

Service - Everyone was very friendly. Breakfast was a buffet but it was hard to get coffee brought to our table, we ended up serving ourselves. The service at the Asiana restuarant was excellent when we ate there for dinner. Front desk was helpful...when we first checked in our safe didn't work. We called down and within 10 minutes it had been replaced. There are not many English speakers on the staff or even in Panama as a whole.

Overall, we really enjoyed our vacation and didn't see any other hotel we would rather stay in during our trip to Panama City. It was reallly nice to be on the water in such a beautiful setting. Highly recommmend.

On a side note, Panama City is under a lot of construction from roads to buildings, a new subway and the expansion of the canal. They are working hard to improve their city and surrounding areas. Yes, there is trash everywhere!! Even stuck into trees. We asked locals who were working with our group and they said that the government is working hard to educated their people about trash and recycling but that this is a new concept for their country.

Room Tip: Ocean view - it is true that the other side overloooks a bus graveyard (but the hotel is working to have this removed and the buses sent for recycling).
2  Thank aMominCary
Reviewed April 9, 2013

The tour company within the hotel is wonderful, and I would highly recommend using them. Whatever you do, do not eat at the buffet restaurants! The service is by far the worst I've ever had, and extremely slow. The... The hotel is in desperate need of training for their employees, No words like, may I help you, no thank you, I felt the employees just didn't want to be there and with zero unemployment in Panama I think most of the employees just move on to another job as soon.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

I was very sorry to note your comments regarding the level of service you received during your stay and I want to apologise that our staff let you down on this occasion.

I do sincerely hope you can acknowledge that normally our service is exceptional and the difficulties you experienced on this occasion are not a fair reflection of our usual high standard of customer care.

In closing, may I thank you, once again, for taking the time to write and hope that we may have the pleasure of welcoming you to Westin Playa Bonita Panama in the future.