“Great weekend at Westin Playa Bonita!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Playa Bonita Panama

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Westin Playa Bonita Panama
Ranked #9 of 116 Hotels in Panama City
PANAMA
“Great weekend at Westin Playa Bonita!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went to this hotel for a family weekend getaway and we had a great time. This hotel has the best hotel pools in Panama City, and is very family friendly. We liked eating breakfast at Cafe Pacifica. The food from the Starfish Grill is really good: we had angus burgers, chicken quesadillas and chicken fingers for lunch at the pool, and the waitress Victoriana was great at getting us our order and providing exceptional service. We had ice cream for dessert from the ice cream shop, which was also very good. We find that the snacks (hot dogs, nachos) were good also, and a special mention to Marisol, who cooked at the "Tidal" by the pool, for her service and hard work. The rooms are spacious and very clean. Our room had an oceanview with a balcony, and the heavenly beds were a dream!.. The bathroom had a tub and a separate shower, with Westin White Tea Aloe soaps/products. As locals we know that in that area the "chitras" (small insects that bite) show up at 6 p.m. so be aware if you are in the grounds or by the pool. You now know why the hotel provides the "Defender" insect repellents. The beach is nice for a walk but not to go in for a swim. Considering that the hotel has been open only for a couple of years and the large groups they accommodate, I can say that they have improved a lot in hospitality, service and quality standards, and we definitely will go back!

Room Tip: Request oceanview rooms to be able to see the Pacific ocean, the ships lining up to go through the C...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HYBISCUS
Maria Gabriela U, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Playa Bonita Panama, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to share your recent experience with us. It is great to hear that you had found our facilities to be relaxing; however, we are sorry to read that our service need to be improve in our different areas.

We truly appreciate your feedback and will share the information so we can continue to strive to provide our guests with the service they have come to expect at our hotel. We hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
Chicago
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I was there in mid January on a corporate awards trip. Initialy the hotel looks beautiful and the best thing about Panama in january is the weather. 90's with a breeze. Pools are great and beach...not a good beach. The rooms are great along with the beds no complaints.

However the service and food is bad. Even though our company was on an "all inclusive" I arrived a day early and spent $89 for the all inclusive bracelet for a day. They ended up charging me for 4 days of this which should have only been one since our company paid for the rest. WATCH YOUR BILL AT CHECKOUT!!! They had a stack of invoices they were reviewing because of misc. charges. On that note not everyone there was on all inclusive. NOT ONCE did I see anyone get charged or sign for any drinks at the pool or the main bar. They really need to get their act together.

Food was terrible, buffets were weak for the price. Did not get towels in the room, phone in room did not work. Unless you speak Spanish you are not understood. Someone in our group asked for a lime for her drink and they gave her a small cup of lime juice. At one point there were 6 people behind a pool bar however only one was serving while there were a line of 7 people.

Hire people who want to enjoy their jobs and understand english or the resort will not survive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank adtlady
We apologize that your recent stay at the Westin Playa Bonita Panama, it is important to tell you that your recent experience it is not the regular service that we offer in our property.

One of our goals is to make each and every one of our guests feel at home during their stay we are sorry that this is not what you experienced. We will use your experience to help us improve our services in the future.

We truly appreciate your loyalty over the years and we hope to have a new opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Leawood, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

This is the second time that I stay at the Westin Playa Bonita, and this continues to be my favorite hotel in Panama City. The hotel itself, the setting and the service was very good. My family enjoyed the swimming pool, the beach and the ocean. The rooms where clean and beautiful, and we had great time at the lounge. We did not try any of the property restaurants, as we typically when to the city for dinner. I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in the 17th floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
We appreciate you taking the time to comment, we will gladly pass along your kind comments and the will be recognized for this.

Our staff strives for excellent customer service and it is always a pleasure make our guest’s experiences as you said magical.

Pembroke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I was one of the group of 6 that travelled to Panama from Pembroke January 7-14, 2013 with Rob R who also left a review. I totally agree with Rob's comments. I would like to add that while we stayed at the Westin Playa Bonita, my husband and I had sweedish massages which were the best massages we have ever had. The spa was absolutely beautiful and the staff were so friendly and welcoming. One of the only bad things I could say about our stay was that our room card used to run the electricity in our room was taken by the cleaning staff a few times while we were there so that was a little inconvenient. However, staff at the front desk were very helpful to provide us with a replacement card. Temperatures are extremely hot in Panama so if you do not like 40 degree weather then this might not be the location for you. We as well just loved our room and are in search of our own "heavenly bed".....never slept so good on a vacation before and we usually travel once a year. We found there were not a lot of excursions to select from but the gamboa day tour was well worth the money. I have to say that so far Panama is one of my absolute favourite vacation destinations and my husband and I would also return to the Westin Playa Bonita in a heartbeat!!!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Maria Gabriela U, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Playa Bonita Panama, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
We appreciate your comments and we are glad to have met your expectations when visiting our hotel, from the entire hotel staff we appreciate your comment is a great motivation for each of us.

Thank you very much and hope to see you again in Panama.

Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

Coming back to snow and ice, I'm ready to go back, but not sure if I would go back here. We were there on their (the Playa Bonita) 1st aniversary and helped celebrate. The party was really fun and had a blast! Highlights of the trip was definetly the pools and plenty of good drink. If your looking to go swim in the ocean and have beach time, this is not the place. The rooms were very nice with a great view of the pools and ocean. We were lucky as some in our group got a view of a bus graveyard. Remember when going to this spanish speaking country, most hotel help will not be able to understand all request. You must be able to tolerate this as well as Panama time...... 5 minutes of American time is 15 minutes of Panama time. They will not get in any hurry. I guess that as time goes on, they will continue to work out problem areas and be better prepared to serve their guest.

Room Tip: Definetly request an ocean view.
3 Thank diceareout
Maria Gabriela U, Guest Relations Manager at The Westin Playa Bonita Panama, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Words cannot express our regret for failing to attend to your needs during your stay with us.

Rest assured that the relevant departments have taken necessary measures to prevent similar recurrences.

Please accept our sincere apologies and allow us another opportunity to delight you with distinctive experiences.

Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

We arrived late in the evening and the reception staff were quick and efficient. Our room was on the 14th floor with a great view of the beach and pools. I particularly like the idea that you could lie in the bath and look across the bedroom and out to sea as there was an open archway to the bedroom. The room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. We found the air conditioning very noisy when on full but it could be turned right down. The coffee making facilities were basic and the coffee was awful so take your own! I sometimes struggled to get hot water out of the shower late in the afternoon but mostly it was ok. The cleanliness of the room was not great at times. We worked out that at one point the bath was not cleaned for two consecutive days and the floor probably only twice during the week we were there.

The hotel was full and the lifts were under pressure the whole time. It was normal to wait at least five minutes for a lift at any time of day and sometimes longer. The booking system for the individual restaurants was very odd as we were told they were full at certain times and yet when passing we could see they were half full. I can only suppose that they were unable to cater properly for greater numbers of guests. We ate in the Asiana twice - once was very good but the second time wasn't. The buffet breakfast I found consistently good and the coffee then was the best we found all week.

The pools were very attractive and well cleaned although the painted terraces around them were already flaking badly. The sunbeds were good quality and surprisingly comfortable and the drinks from the pool bar were very tasty. Although we weren't there on the normal all inclusive basis we rarely got charged. This was the case in the upper bar too as the staff seemed to be confused by the fact that those who were there for a conference were not there as all inclusive guests. The large buffets laid on for conference attendees were generally of a very good standard.

I did get quite a few insect bites around the pool despite using the insect repellent supplied but many people had no bites at all. We took the Jungleland tour up the canal and into the jungle and this was an absolute must. We were able to feed wild monkeys that jumped onto the boat and held a baby caiman (like a croc). We had lunch on a house boat hidden away and in the afternoon people were able to kayak to some waterfalls, although we opted to relax in hammocks on the houseboat for a couple of hours - bliss. The driving and roads were pretty bad but it was worth the trip. This was not the trip organised through the hotel.

All in all we enjoyed our stay but although the staff were relatively friendly they were often not really sure of what they were doing and on numerous occasions tills were not working and staff just seemed totally confused. On departure they tried to charge us the whole amount for a meal that had been split five ways - some cash, credit card and I put my part on my room. We disputed this and in the end were only charged for my dinner but it is worth checking the bill very carefully.

Room Tip: Choose and ocean view room away from the lifts
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your thorough review of your recent stay.

Please know that we truly care about your experience and sincerely apologize for these inconveniences.

As we enhance our resort features on a continuous basis we appreciate your feedback and we hope to share these improvements with you in the future.

Pembroke, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

To start I would like to say I'm an experienced traveller, at least 20 times in the last 15 years.We (Group of 6 adults) traveled to Panama from Montreal. Jan 7-14 2013. I travel every year (sometimes 2) to some all inclusive resorts. (Jamacia, D.R, Cuba, Mexico,) and this was the first trip to Panama. I have stayed at 5 stars plenty of times before. This hotel is truly a 5 star hotel, and I (We all 6) would go back in a minute. Rooms were to die for, staff were helpful, and polite, sure they were sometimes busy but every restaurant and resort gets busy. The food was exceptional, by far the best food at any resorts I have every stayed at. People complain about the beach, lets be realistic, how much time do we spend in the ocean anyway?, when the tide is out you cant swim, so wait a few hours and by noon, you can swim until around 6 pm, thats six hours in the ocean...lots of time I think. No towel cards (what) ya just go get a towel...bring it back get another one?...this almost never happens at bigger hotels. Grab a lounge chair at 8am (what?) no you dont have to get up at 5am to go reserve chairs for you and your buds...there are lots, including canopies. If you like beer like us canadians, its served from a can...yes not draft...a can...and as the week progressed we asked to bring the cans to our chairs as long as we returned them....this was great...sittin by the pool...looking at the ocean and the ships having a cold can of beer...life was sweet. The beach is not like cuba...not soft, and is full of shells, but still you could walk down to the intercontinental and back and it would take a good 20-30 mins. If you like tripping over 500 people at the buffet, having the animation team ask you every 1hr to play a game, listening to loud music screamin over the speakers, the rec staff talking to you in 3 different languages over the mic, and lame evening entertainment...then this is not the place for you. If you like a relaxing low background music, once a day salsa dance by the staff, good service (somtimes at you chair), beautiful views, great food, good beer (3 kinds), and girly drinks of course, an amaizing room and the bed...OMG...I want one...BEST SLEEPS EVER. Then this is the place for you. Again if your the typical Canadian traveler...you will like this place...I have stayed at the RIU in Mazatlan,and Cancun, H-10 in M.R, Mexico and the TRYP in D.R, many hotels in Cuba....This is WAY..WAY..WAY better. For management...this is the one thing I would tell you to eliminate. The bar fridge in our room, you say we have to pay for the water and the beer or pop we use out of it, but we can get the beer, water and pop from the bar...so whats the point...all inclusive travelers sould not have to pay....its a bit of a pain...just eliminate it...less stress for us and the goal is to keep us happy. As for excursions...do the gambo combo....very good. Thanks for the memories....if the price is right we hope to see you again.

Room Tip: 7th floor Jungle side was good...Im sure ocean view would have been better but...for the money the v...
2 Thank Rob R
Thank you for the many compliments! I have shared your comments with our associates and personally thanked them for a job well done!

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, whenever your travels bring you back to Panama City.