“SANDFLIES OR "CHITRAS"”

Ranked #8 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
Panama City, Panama
“SANDFLIES OR "CHITRAS"”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Joyce and Genevie are assets to this hotel. Great service overall, food excellent, facilities excellent. But I ´m not going to visit again on rainy season, because me and my children were bitten by chitras or sandflies. Marks´re all over our body (extreme, uncontrollable,terrible itching!). Though, I learned they fumigate frequently and repellent is supplied to guests. But still we could not beat this pest.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This is a very nice resort. The views and rooms are spectacular - the pools and "view" from the beach is great - just not the actual beach. But it doesn't matter because the rest of the resort is great. Close to Panama City which is major plus. 40 mins without traffic to the airport.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tj1551
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My wife and I have stayed in many hotels in Panama and we think this is the best. Excellent customer service, (everyone at the resort spoke to us in English and all the employees were very attentive). Our room was also excellent, very clean and tidy. We ate at the Asiana restaurant and the food was very good, my wife had the sea scallops and I had the duck. Also the buffet breakfast was excellent. The whole resort was very, very clean and tidy.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank LornaJohnRichards
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Hello! ***I tell you, Panama City about 25 minutes away is playa bonita, and of course Westin.
With private beach, 4 swimming pools, and more, becomes one of my favorites to visit.
Spacious rooms, different prices, friendly people and delicious food to enjoy. /:)
Mountain and ocean views, some real greatness.
Exquisite space to feel peace, and not far from the city... 
I recommend it!
Leaves no more to say, special.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Ailynne G
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 24, 2012

THis hotel needs so much improvement starting with facilities, everyday something was in need of repair, elevators, tiles had to be ripped up in shower....and the list goes on. Service is terrible very limited english spoken, at one restaurant we were told to busy to handle you, go to other restaurant. (and restaurant had about 25 table and only half were full). Orders were wrong. Had to check bill daily to make sure charges were correct and then had to get credits added to billing...Rooms were never cleaned properly, surfaces in bathroom and sleeping area all had a scratchy dusty film. Balcony was never touched which had bird droppings and dirt. It looks beautiful but needs a lot of help......Big dissappointment for a Westin

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank rf8814
Chicago
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I'm not normally a harsh reviewer and I normally give hotels (of any brand) a break in developing countries, but I just can't give this place a good rating.

Overall, if you're looking to be on the beach AND within reach of Panama City, this (and the intercontinental) is a good location. However, depending on traffic you can be anywhere from 10min to 40min from downtown, and the beach is more for viewing than enjoying. If having a beach is not important, I would strongly recommend something downtown. If not being near the city is okay, go much further away for better beaches.

That's the overall take-away, but here's more details around my low rating:

The good:
Rooms are quiet and comfortable
The general staff are very friendly and accommodating
The executive lounge is one of the best I've been in
The pool areas are quite nice

The bad:
The food is terrible. If I was staying at a no-name Panamanian hotel, I could see past this, but with the quality of restaurants in Panama City and the plethora of western hotel brands in the area, the Westin should have higher standards.
After our first underwhelming dining experience, we later lowered our expectations and settled for the buffet one night. It managed to be worse...and cost more! My wife and I paid $70 for the equivalent of school cafeteria fare.
And I know the Westin is a higher end hotel, and they often come with higher prices on almost everything (that's how things get paid for), but there is a limit. For example, a post card from the gift shop is $6.
It actually makes more sense to take an $80 round trip taxi into town for eating and shopping each time. Hence, if a beach isn't a deal breaker stay downtown, as you'll swim in the pool more than the ocean anyway.

The ugly:
The building isn't 100%. We were at the end of the hall and there was a puddle outside our door at all times from the window at the end.
One restroom by the restaurants on the lower levels has urinals that if you're under 6ft, you can't use them.
Over our balcony, there were rusty stalactites dripping down from the poor drainage.
Again, the room itself is fine, and prominent common areas are nice as well, but anything outside of that tends to be a bit off (i.e. bad signage, scratched-up elevators, etc)

Room Tip: Ocean view is a must. The "green" view overlooks a large lot of 200 old school busses. A...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ChicagoOrange
Saskatoon, Canada
Reviewed October 2, 2012

We went to the Playa Bonita in January last year and had a great time. The resort sent us a complimentry 1 week stay as a result of a few small problems we had.

Wow was I excited to go back. We had such a good time last winter and was looking forward to another week at the Playa Bonita

For the past 3 months we have ben trying to get the hotel to confirm dates with us so that we could book a flight.

I can't put too fine of a point on it to saying that the hotel has been giving us the run around. I don't know if they thought not use the voucher and that's why they gave it to us or that they do not want to honor it now but I'm exceptionally unhappy with the management at the Playa Bonita right now.

Beware of any type of voucher or promise as in my experince, its next to impossible to get them to honor it.

Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends