“Incredibly nice!”

The Westin Playa Bonita Panama
Ranked #8 of 114 Hotels in Panama City
“Incredibly nice!”
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

Amazing, clean, spectacular! The pool are is great, the food is good and the staff is friendly!!!! Its a nice place to relax and hve a great time! The rooms are big and very comfortable. Its a nice hotel, very modern! Highly recommend it!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Dabedrabbom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (674)
Yonkers, NY
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We are currently staying at the Westin Playa Bonita till August 8th 2012, we had the all-inclusive. Having read some bad reviews to this place, I felt compelled to speak on behalf of the fine quality service the Westin offered

Check -In: Very smooth, the staff were eager to set us up with upgrades for the ocean view rooms. The whole check in process was easy, since the Westin staff went above the call of duty to accomodate us( after a flight delay, and late arrival).

The manager came out to open up one of the restaurants to make sure that our "tired and hungry" group was fed even though it was past the restaurant closing time.

Restaurants: Excellent choice of food, healthy and clean, with plenty of fresh food choices even for the children. The staff waiting on the tables were always super helpful trying to accomodate our needs. The water is safe to consume, they have bottled water everwhere if you require it

Lounge: good selection of spirits and beer. The Balboa cerveza is particularily refreshing. The Lounge staff will 'in a jiffy" whip up a cocktail to help you relax.

Pools/Premises: The pools are to "die for". Meaning, these pools are some of the cleanest Ive ever seen. Poolside furniture is plentiful, and comfy. I could easily stay in these pools for a whole day. Very relaxing and stress relieving. Be sure to grab a drink by the poolside bar.

Rooms: Modern designed and spacious, the views from the ocean side rooms are breath-taking. The bathrooms are state of the art, large shower room, bathrub and toilet. Wifi was free on the premises.

Concierge: Well equipped to handle of group of 17, to make booking for tours or even goin out on the town. I will review the tour company seperately

Gym; Basic gym, with a cybex, treadmills and aerobics area, very well maintained and clean.

Overall, I give the Westin a 5 star rating. This property is tucked away in a very cozy part of Panama. Previous reviews said the language was a problem. As I can manage conversational spanish, I didnt see any issues. The staff do go out of their way to make your stay wonderful.

I would definitely come back here and stay longer.

Room Tip: ocean facing rooms, a must have
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank jkovoor
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is gorgeous and big: 611 rooms and 67 suites with 6 restaurants and 4 bars located just across the "las Americas Bridge" about 20 mins from The center of panama. It has a nice kids club with activities and a child's pool. The ambience is great it is very trendy and so the room comfort: as a real Westin, "Heavenly Bed" and "Heavenly Bath". The faucets are not working properly (Mexican Helvex faucets are not good for hotels and I am in the business. When you open them much start pumping and get you splashy).  The amenities are ok and the size of the towels good but not great. I had an Oceanfront balcony room and the view is spectacular.
The check-in was a bit disorganized, they were attending guest in all of the few counters for the size of the hotel, even in the gold and platinum one. Hopefully, I saw Maria Gabriela coming out from the back office, she is one of the guest relations staff. She is very kind, polite and professional and she mad my check-in fast, avoiding the line. Thanks Gaby, you are the best!.
The food was average: I purchased an all inclusive package and had dinner buffet at the Pacifico restaurant. Service is awful ( the hotel had about 600 guests and not enough staff to take care of all of us) and the Mexican buffet offered that night was far of being a westing.
Beverages and spirits are very good for an all inclusive.
Service at the pool was average also, again lack of personal and not helpful even when you well tipping them.
The breakfast was a little better than dinner but again, not as a Westin one. Service also very disorganized. Talking with one lady that finally took care of us explained the staff problem: they were about six to serve all and she is the host! This is not an acceptable excuse but living In panama I know that nowadays get workers is very hard: the country is near the full employment and nobody want to work as waiters, stores, etc. they want a easy air conditioned job without stress from eight to five.
Pools are gorgeous and are steps from the beach.
Even I had lunch included, I did not took it. I did not missed  something spectacular.
Enrique made my check-out. He is very polite and helpful. He also took my call a week before to add my SPG number on my reservation. He was very polite on the phone too.
The hotel is new and much better than the next door Intercontinental Playa Bonita, belonging to Bern Hotels too but I rather prefer stay there as I did many times before for service quality of food. Anyhow for a weekend getaway with My family is a nice place if you are not hungry and expect high levels of service.
Sorry guys I know you are doing your best but I am not expecting of being in a Days Inn.

• Stayed August 2012
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband and I came for a short weekend stay in July and we really enjoyed the hotel. It was our first visit to Panama. We are Plantinum Starwood member so we were upgraded to a wonderful suite, very modern, two balconies facing the ocean, beautiful!
1. We did not like the beach and would not swim in the ocean as the Pacific ocean is muddy here and we heard that sewage is dumped in from Panama City (this is not the hotel's fault!)
2. The dinner we had was not great at the steak restaurant, I asked for medium rare and it was cooked very well done.
3. The service we had was outstanding!
4. The starwood free breakfast and happy hour for Platinum members is free and it was really nice, a very relaxed environment.
5. The pool is fantastic, love the infinity pools and the swim up bar.
6. The gym was great.
7. We were there in low season so the spa area was closed, but it looked like it would be lovely.
8. The only bad thing in the room was that it was a bit musty, like they probably turn off the A/C when no one is in it and it becomes probably very hot and moist in the room.
9. The "all inclusive" activities looked to be great for kids/families.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Chicag0Chica
Miami, Florida
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This beach front hotel has a state of the art facility graced with beautiful pools, but the staff is not friendly. Booking the facility was a problem because the reservation agent did not honored a flier that was send to us. That was my first clue. Upon arrival the staff greeted me well and assigned me an ocean view room. The place was clean and well groomed. At night time, I found a large rat in the pool area. I spoke with staff to clean it and to dispose of the body of the dead rat. Next morning the animal was still there. I took pictures and will not post them, but I could show them upon request. Getting a juice, water or sunscreen before 8:00 am was impossible. I requested to speak to a manager, left my number no one call. I was concerned that other guests may find the animal in the pool area. In the breakfast area, the food was good but the bill was delayed for 20 min. I did not complained or uttered a word when the manager of the area Mr. Parra approached my in a rude and unprofessional way. My only words after his interventions were my desire to speak to the General Hotel Manager, again no show. Later I identified his name tag and narrated the events to him, but I didn't get the feeling that he cares
This splendid and breath taken facility with modern amenities is missing costumer satisfaction as successful ingredient. Friendly attention to the traveler should be a quality to be nurtured and improved. Facilities that cater to their guest will find them returning over and over. Service is changeable, location and facilities are not. Their future is bright if they improved it.

Room Tip: Rooms with ocean view away from parties
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank RogerGCarrillo
Lake Delton, WI
Reviewed July 20, 2012

A haven just far enough away from the crazy congestion of the metro area in Panama city. The rooms are beautiful and the pools clean. The beaches are quiet and serene. A 20 minute taxi brings you in to all the sites of Panama city. I'm so glad that we booked this! The only problem that I had is that, like most resorts in the area, the main dining is buffet style.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah A
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Hi, I was lucky to stay in this hotel and I can say it was an unforgettable experience. The food at the restaurants excellent and very good attention. The rooms are decorated very beautiful and the attention to the rooms is also excellent. The rooms have view to the beach is a haven for guests, personally I recommend this hotel for either business or pleasure is mixed. I will return.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple