“Very Tasty Southeast Asian”
Review of Sukhi

Sukhi
Ranked #81 of 1,176 Restaurants in Panama City
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2012

If you like SE Asian I do not believe this place can disappoint you. The service is attentive, and the decor is ikea minimalist. Very clean, well lit, high wooden tables with orange plastic highly set chairs. I like it. The fellow here who complains about the seats being hard is being over critical. If you have a bony posterior you should know to bring your own cushion.

Tell the cabby to take you to the sushi place (called Suchi, I think) by the Marriot near Calle 50 Este. There are several restaurants clustered around the hotel and casino there (including a lebanese joint with sheesha that I also recommend), and this place hasn't registered with any of the half dozen or so cabbies I've asked to take me there. It's on the corner just past - right next to - the sushi joint.

Open 1030 to 2300, but closed on Sunday, as we were sad to discover the other day..

Upshot: very highly recommended.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I'm glad my wife and I found Sukhi. At first we would go a couple of times a month and now that they deliver we get it more often. The food is very healthy looking (not greasy) and tasty. Portions are a good size and the price is average for the type of restaurant in the area.

Reviewed May 3, 2012

As our guide in Panama said when recommending Sukhi Thai, "don't be put off by the decor." The bright orange and white look with some high top tables are actually kind of fun. This is a Thai restaurant in Panama with a young British chef. Despite the incongruence, the food is fantastic and very modestly priced. Happy hour drinks are surprisingly good and dirt cheap. The staff tries very hard and struggles a bit with English, but the chef's wife manages and comes to the rescue when communication reaches an impasse. We were delighted and highly recommend it if you are hankering for some outstanding Thai food in an unlikely place.

Reviewed March 9, 2012

Of all the unlikely places to find a superb Thai restaurant, Panama City, Panama takes first prize!

Its name is Sukhi. It is quite unprepossessing as you walk in. With its bar-stool type chairs and matching high fixed-in-place tables your first impression is of a road-side diner designed by an avant garde artist and decorated in off white and light red. But this impression is immediately dispelled by the sincere and friendly welcome with which you are greeted as you enter. The manager/hostess is Alessandra Barria; she came to our table to take our order (she speaks perfect English). When we ordered drinks I asked for a vodka and orange juice – she replied “This is Happy Hour – you get two!” We ordered chicken satay and fish cakes for appetizers, delicious (there were three of each, one for each of the three of us). For main course we all ordered a different dish, because we have different levels of tolerance for spicy foods, but from the blandest to the most spicy on the menu we each agreed it was amongst the best Thai food we had ever eaten, which includes Thai restaurants in many cosmopolitan cities in the Americas. The chef, Alessandra’s boyfriend, has a superb touch for blending fresh ingredients with remarkable spices served in an artistic manner. The restaurant is owned by Alessandra’s father, Omar Barria, who keeps an eagle’s eye on the operation and ensures that the service is always first rate. And for those bar-stool type chairs – we sat in them for one and a half hours in perfect comfort.

Reviewed January 14, 2012

Very Good food,lousy seating on hard chairs. Very poor wine selection, mostly semi dry to sweet wines - no chardanys - expensive champage price that you expect in a top line hotel. My friend though likes the 2 for 1 happy hour prices. Staff, young and always smiling speak almost no english are young and cheerful. Food is genuine Thai - the chefs were trained there and english speaking owners are onsite most of the time. My frieind, a big eater usually orders a second entree, smaller me only requires one. For $4 more, complementary garlic bread, comfortable seating in a much more classy establisment, you can have a romantic setting, live professional guitar music, terrific service, parking, and much
more. This is, however. the best Thai restaurant in Panama!

1  Thank GlennMH