“7 days of Perfection with Xplora Panama!”

Xplora Panama Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer small or large group tours with a focus on culture, nature, and adventure. All our tours are guided by local Panamanian guides with 10+ years of professional experience leading safe and informative tours in Panama. In them you will find a great sense of responsibility, safety awareness, and a keen interest to offer every single one of their guests a top quality personalized experience.
Reviewed November 21, 2014

I don't know where to begin. Let me preface this review by saying I have worked in the hospitality field all my life, and for the past 13 years managing hotels in the Northeastern United States. I am easy to please when it comes to service but I am tough to wow. After spending my honeymoon in Costa Rica, and another great vacation in Belize I was not really sure what to expect out of Panama. The Xplora website reallys et themselves apart from other trips from the get go the "Choose Your Own Adventure" layout was exactly what my wife and I wanted. We got to pick all the activities we were interested in and leave out the stuff we didn't want to do and then Xplora put it all together in a perflectly planned itinerary which we recieved quickly with pricing. It was everything we wanted and nothing we didnt (when does that happen?)

We arrived at the airport and met Luis who was waiting for us, He was extremely polite and informative. We inquired about a good place to get dinner after a long day of travel and not only did he have a recomendation but he took us to our hotel, let us check in and then drove us to a wonderful restaurant with epic views of the ships entering the Panama Canal (this was not part of the pacakge we booked, just luis being a gracious host and welcoming us on our first night in Panama). We returned to the Tryp hotel for one of 2 nights and enjoyed a comfortable nights sleep (after hitting the casino located across the street in the Wyndham Grand Hotel)

The next morning Luis promptly picked us up and we were wisked away to the river caving tour, on the way there Luis asked if we minded if another colleague joined us on the day trip as he was new to the company (we did not). We picked up Alex on our way to the cave of lake Bayano. He was also extremely polite. it was about 90 minutes from the hotel and another 45 minutes by boat to the mouth of the cave. Wear good water shoes as the walk is quite rocky but the scenery amazing, and the wildlife abundant, posion dart frogs, river tarpon, shrimp, sloth all in a scene that would fit into any adventure, or fantasy movie and at the end a beautiful lagoon constantly filled by a small waterfall. My wife and I were the only ones on this trip and having 2 guides made for an amazingly personal experience. The history, and in depth knowledge of the flora and fauna made for a memorable begining to our Panama trip.

The next days blended together like all good vacations should, where you loose track of time and even what day it is and just get wrapped up in the moments of awesomness, We had not schedueled a trip to the Panama Canal as we wanted to try and fit all the adventure we could into Panama, but with the tide schedule Luis was about to fit this in, I am glad we did as the massive "panamax" size ship we saw go through the locks was worth it. (thanks again for this Luis). We then drove up the Pacific Coast and I got to attempt surfing on a beautiful and secluded beach (if you choose this wear water shoes). Then up to Santa Fe Panama for the night. We arrived in a quaint Panamanian hotel, the rooms rustic but clean, the bar was small but well stocked and the food was astounding and inexpensive. The Ojaldas (or fried bread) is the best I had in the country and according to Alex and Luis they concur.

The following morning just after sunrise we took a 4x4 on a scenic road, crossing streams and overlooking the beautiful mountains in Santa Fe, we hiked through an organic farm and up a narrow trail to a beautiful waterfall, at its base a cool and large pool perfect for swimming, it was another scene right out of a movie. We proceeded to hike up further and reveal even more waterfalls, beautiful flowers, humming birds etc. This is not an easy hike, wear good hiking boots as the rocks are slippery but the scenery is well worth the effort. Another night in Santa Fe, visited the town which seems to fit perfectly in the mountains that surround it (try the coffee). The next morning we woke to another great breakfast, and then some river tubing which was super fun to float through some rapids and fast water all while surrounded by breathtaking scenery.

We left Santa Fe (reluctantly) and drove to Las Lajas beach, we enjoyed miles of beaches with noone else in sight, soft sand, bathub warm water and a beach cantina (Try the Zombie drink) for a perfect and relaxing afternoon playing in the surf. We then took the drive to Boquete and arrived in darkness. We checked into our hotel the Isla Verde which was magnificent, full kitchen, suite, veranda with hammock, everything about this place was magnificent. We had dinner again the Luis and Alex as we did every night which made the entire experience so real. These gentlemen love their country and love to share it with their new friends.

The following morning we took our first elave of our guides and went on a whitewater rafting trip on the border of Panama and Costa Rica, This was awesome, a great adreneilne rush but not to crazy that I felt I was going to drown before every set of rapids. I recommend this trip for first time rafters of novices like myself. We returned and had dinner with Alex and Luis at an italian restaurant outslde of the city of Boquete, another reason why this trip was so special; we would have never found this place without Luis. The next morning we did the Boquete Tree Trek zip lining tour, I have done this in Belieze, 2 different times in Costa Rica and stateside, but this one takes the cake, both because of the professionalism, and the amazing scenery. The Ziplines are some of the longest and fastest I have ever been on. After this we caught a shuttle to the City of David (make sure you leave yourself enough time to make the taxi, our Zipline tour ran almost 45 minutes long and we almost missed this) And then we flew back to Panama City. (Luis and Alex left that morning and made the 6 hour drive from Boquete, They picked us up at the airport promptly and as politely as ever. and we finished our last night in Panama City.

I know; long review... to recap, Luis is an amazing guide and person so knowledegable about the country he could probably write a set of encyclopedias on it himself. Alex is also so well versed on the birds, animals and plants of Panama that between the 2 of them every question we asked was answered. Look no further than Xplora Panama when choosing your adventure vacation. They think of everything, plan your trip perfectly and are always willing to make adjsutments and additions to get everything out of each day. I know there are other destinations that are more well known for Adventure Travel (I have been there) but Panama should be at the top of that list. Thanks again Luis and Alex and I hope to see you both on our next trip to Panama.

4  Thank Jon B
_Lucia_D_Pimentel_, Customer Service at Xplora Panama Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2015

Thank you! Epic reviews like yours tend to leave us speechless. You have provided us with enough inspiration for us to continue doing what we do hopefully for many years to come. We wish you all the best, and again, thank you.

All reviews
"different species"
"small group"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed November 9, 2014

What an excellent experience!!! We booked the Wildlife Safari tour with Xplora based on other TripAdvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. Our tour was extremely personal as well as informative. It was really unique to see so many wild animals living in their natural habitats. On our trip we saw sloths, lizards, monkeys, and a variety of birds (just to name a few). On top of that, we go to boat pass a number of enormous ships transiting the Panama Canal. Our guide Alex was extremely knowledgeable and patient and able to answer all of our questions.

Overall this tour exceeded all of my expectations and booking it was a breeze. Highly recommended!!!

1  Thank Billy F
_Lucia_D_Pimentel_, Customer Service at Xplora Panama Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2014

Thank you very much for this enthusiastic review. We are honored to hear that our tour exceeded all your expectations, what a great compliment! Again, thank you very much.

Reviewed November 7, 2014

WOW! I saw more wildlife in 2 hours, than I have seen my entire life. From the first transaction with Lucia, to the detailed tour from Alex....A++...We were picked up promptly, and hit the road. Along the way to the boat launch, Alex was full of facts, and eager to answer questions. The ride into the canal was breathtaking, and inspecting the local wildlife off of the canal was an eye opening experience. Often, Alex would have the boat stopped as he spotted wildlife from afar, and drew our attention to them. We saw Toucans, a sloth, crocodiles, parrots, 3 monkey species, and a wide variety of butterflies. The boat trip into the out islands is stunning, and the tropical landscape is almost surreal with its beauty. Next, we hiked through the rainforest of the National park. It was a rugged hike, but not to be missed. We saw a sloth, and poison dart frogs, among other animals. Again, Alex's insight was phenomenal. He takes his time and is very patient with his small tour groups. If you come to panama and miss this tour, you have missed Panama.

1  Thank kevin9999
_Lucia_D_Pimentel_, Customer Service at Xplora Panama Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2014

Thank you very much for this detailed review. Alex loves to show Panama´s wildlife and he enjoyed guiding you very much.

Reviewed October 28, 2014

I just got back from a couple weeks of exploring Panama. One of the highlights was definitely the caving trip that I did with Briant Dominici from Xplora Panama. There were 3 other people on the trip. 2 guests and another guide from Xplora that had never been to the caves. We were picked up in the morning at our hotels in Panama City and driven ~1.5 hours south toward Lake Bayano. We were met at the lake by a local teen that Briant hired (simply out of respect for the locals) to take us through the caves. We took a short boat ride across the lake and landed at a small colorful farm at the mouth of the cave system. This is were we would have lunch (provided) at the end of the hike. Briant gave us a quick informative talk about the plants and animals that we were likely to see. This was nice since the 3 of us guests all turned out to be Biologists, Briant was able to flex his knowledge a little more than usual.

The caves were amazing! The ceiling ranged anywhere from just over head to ~20ft+. There was a small river flowing through the caves that formed pools so deep that at times we had to swim across them. There were waterfalls inside the cave, thousands of bats, colorful frogs and a natural pool at the end of the hike that's surrounded on every side by 100ft cliffs. A truly magical place. If you're going to Panama, don't miss out on this trip with Briant! Places like this won't stay undiscovered for ever.

1  Thank JustAddSun01
_Lucia_D_Pimentel_, Customer Service at Xplora Panama Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2014

Great review, thank you. What are the chances of having 4 biologists from different parts of the world randomly meeting in the same tour? Awesome!