“San Blas Islands” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Panama Travel Unlimited - Day Tours

Panama Travel Unlimited - Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Panamatravelunlimited is a tour operator located in Panama City. We specialize in day tours in and around Panama City and to the San Blas islands. Our day tours include; City Tour, Embera village, Portobelo Ruins, Isla Grande, San Lorenzo Fort, La Pintada cigar factory, San Blas and more. We aim to give superior customer service at budget prices.
Voorhees, New Jersey
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“San Blas Islands”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

The trip to San Blas Islands was an adventure. To reach there, you have to travel in a jeep through rolling mountain roads, then on a speed boat on a river and into the ocean, stopping at one island for refuel, and then on a very wet journey to our destination Coco Island. When we reached the point where we boarded the boats, no information was given telling us when we would go to the island, which island, or what we would be doing. Once we reached the island, we did not know that we could go to neighboring islands to snorkel. Communication could have been better. The food at Coco Island was very good and they were able to serve us good vegetarian food. The island was so small that you could walk around it in five minutes! The island is very basic and not inhabited which was a unique experience. You felt like the island was all yours! The water was a beautiful blue color and swimming in it was pleasant. The people who worked on the island were friendly and accommodating.

Cambridge, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Terrible Communication and no follow up, be warned”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

I never ended up going on the Lake Bayano Cave Tour because of pretty wretched communication from this company. Back when I paid my deposit in November I was assured that something would work out. When January 7th rolled around I still hadn't heard anything from them so I followed up. I was told a tour was being arranged for the next day, even though I still have the email confirming they would organize something for the 13th.

I then asked if anything would be available for my originally scheduled time. No response. I write again as I am now arriving in a day and I mention if I can get my deposit back if nothing is possible. I now hear back from the original guy saying they can still do it but it will only be the two of us.

After never reaching out to me, telling me one thing and doing another, I decide its best to just cut my losses and not shell out $300 for what I can't trust. I'll never see that $45 deposit again, but hopefully people will find this info helpful. If you're ok dropping over $200 and not knowing what will happen then this might work, if you like to know that you weren't just ripped off in an internet scam, I'd stay away.

Visited January 2014
6 Thank Emily W
PTUviajes, Owner at Panama Travel Unlimited - Day Tours, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Honestly some times I feel like I am banging my head against a wall. Your review is completely untrue Emily and you should be ashamed. When booking the tour I made it very clear to you that there may only be the two of you on the tour and you would have to pay a certain fee if this was the case. When it came around to the time my colleague offered you the possibility of joining another group the day before to lower the costs for you (we were trying to help you). You said you could not so I said no problem you can still do it on the 13th at the agreed price when booking. You sent an email saying "No thanks" and that was the last I heard from you. I did not refund the deposit of $45 because you cancelled the tour last minute. You knew exactly the details of the tour and pricing and when things didnt work out as you wanted them to you pull out this ridiculous accusation out of the bag. Shame on you. You also never requested a refund, I thought because you accepted it was your choice to cancel last minute. If you had been polite and said were sorry but we have decided not to do the tour with just the two of us could we please have a refund I would have given to you without issue. Instead you took this route.
Santa Barbara, California
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Day tours were great!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

I recently booked two full day tours with Panama Travel Unlimited and they were both great! I did a one day trip to the San Blas Islands and it was well organized, ran on time and was beautiful-a very worth while day!
Several days later I did the Panama Canal Full Transit and again, it was a very worth while day and something I will never forget. The tour was very well organized, with prompt email replies to all my questions, and a fantastic experience overall. I highly recommend these tours and wish I had time for more of what they offer.

Charlotte, North Carolina
“Awesome Service, Well Organized Tours”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2014

During my stay in Panama, we took 3 tours with Panama Travel Unlimited and 2 with another tour company. The tours organized by PTU were 100 times better than the other company. Every tour with PTU was on time and the tour guides were well educated about the history and culture of Panama. One tour guide in particular, Yosuomis, was amazing! He was like a walking text book, we were never bored and made sure we got a great experience. The tour guides all had PTU marked vans and uniforms which made it easy to identify them, this is especially important when the lobby of the hotel is full of tourists waiting for tour companies to pick them up. Overall the experience with PTU was well worth it and I highly recommend them. The only thing I would change is; the times for pickup were not listed so I had to keep requesting them each time so we knew when to be ready. It would be nice to include them on the itinerary or in an email.

Vancouver, WA
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Decent (not terrible, not great) tour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Okay, these guys were the cheapest way for our family to get to an Embera Village, so I have to cut them some slack versus what others are describing below.

The Embera village tour itself was just "okay". If you like Disneyland, this will be fine for you, because the villages all of these Embera tours take you to are all "staged". No hunting or fishing, no old people--just a song and dance for tourists, followed by an opportunity to buy their stuff.

The tour company themselves are not up to standards in the West. They want payment by credit card in advance (with surcharge). They did not follow up on emails I sent. I had no idea that they figured out at which I was at, so I thought I would have to go to their office (which is what their website mistakenly states)--but, lo and behold, they were there for me at the door when I was about to hail a taxi! Weird, because I did not tell them where I was staying...

But then they spent another hour picking up others and then changing vans and then more picking up others...sigh...

I think they simply need to improve on their communication skills with clients.

Also, how about scheduling a washroom stop along the way? Somewhere clean!

2 Thank LetsGooooooo