“I liked it overall.”

Ranked #20 of 113 Hotels in Panama City
California, USA
“I liked it overall.”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The Trump is a bit odd its awkward entrance scheme and how you drop and pick up your car in different areas is a little funky and the rest I thought was bliss. And if you can score a room for under USD200.00 you can’t go wrong staying here, seriously!

I need to add a little something about Panama City in general after reading PeterF’s little biddy here.
I was born and grew up in Panama. I moved to California many years ago and have witnessed massive, tumultuous, and at times downright dangerous changes (US invasion in 1981 to remove the dictatorial General Antonio Noriega from power) in Panama. I “like” how fellow TA contributor PeterF refers to Panama La Antigua as a “small old city”… May I wax a little more eloquently: “UNESCO designated Casco Viejo (Casco Antiguo) as a World Heritage Site in 2003 which has brought this colonial city a lot of attention on the World Stage and has in turn attracted tremendous investment from abroad. What was 10 years ago a 'forgotten neighborhood' and rapidly deteriorating slum of Panama City is now arguably the most vibrant and exciting place to live or visit in all of Panama!”
And I quote a little more from the Casco Viejo website… “Originally built and settled in 1671 after the destruction of Panama Viejo, by Captain Henry Morgan, Casco Viejo Panama (also known as Casco Antiguo & San Felipe) was constructed as a walled city on a peninsula off of Panama City to protect its settlers against another siege such as that suffered in Panama Viejo only 8 kilometers away.
What makes 'Casco' (as the residents call it) so unique is the both the residents and the number of original building structures which still stand today (in various stages of renovation and disrepair), the most in all of Panama. The 16th & 17th century Spanish & French Colonial architecture is breathtaking and only one of the many reasons that has attracted the growing number of foreign residents flocking to Casco Viejo as the premier destination in the Republic of Panama!
Look I’ve stayed at The Dorchester on Park Lane overlooking Hyde Park in its heyday when Fergie used to have her high tea in their gold gilded tea room, I thought London and its environs very interesting, massively historical and charming. I’ve traveled to and lived in some exotic places and I think Panama stands quite tall for recently being a dictator run, third world Banana Republic of under 3 million people struggling to run a newly acquired (run by the US since 1914) canal. I believe proper perspective and an open mind are integral to travel opinions. After all I’d have to say the Dorchester sucked because, well you know, Quality Inns include breakfast and they didn’t… I kid, I kid, The Dorchester was of course, bomb.com! Oh and at the time Liz Taylor still had her private apartment there so the in-house chocolate factory was tops!
When properties like the Trump, Hard Rock, Waldorf flock to my beloved Panama and build sprawling resorts and hotels, it’s “God in a Cup” Geisha variety of highland grown coffee is voted #1 in the world and I see it’s people “killing it” (doing a bang-up job old boy) when it comes to Canal operations and its expansion, well… it makes me just want to… smile. Viva Panama!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ptyed
TOCGM, General Manager at Trump International Hotel & Tower Panama, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Ptyed,

Thank you for choosing the Trump Ocean Club for your recent return to Panama and for your comments on your experience.

I very much appreciate the information shared on Casco Viejo. Of course it has a fantastic story to tell! Im glad you were able to enjoy your return and that we could be a part of that memorable experience for you.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Vice President & Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 13, 2013

This has the true flavor of a 5 star hotel. Service was great, amenities were first class.
The rooms are very modern, and a little bit too much steel and glass if you mind that sort of thing.
The layout is a bit unusual, but it does shout out luxury, and worth a visit

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty similar
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear deanhowe,

Thank you for your recent visit to the Trump Ocean Club and for taking the time to share your comments on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to know you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon and even improve on your experience where and how we can.

Weatherford, Texas
Reviewed April 11, 2013

The first night in the Trump, we stayed in a regular king bed room on the "curve" and it was like a 4 star US hotel. The finishes were nice but not plush. The bathroom was very open to the room with a see through shower to the room which is fine for a couple. The toilet was in a glass enclosure about the size of a phone booth and had great echoing power...which you don't really want in a bathroom! The balcony view was fantastic and had comfy chairs for 2. There was an espresso machine in our room with several pods of different strengths of espresso which was a great touch. The pools were exquisite with incredible Panama Canal and Pacific views. Try the Passion Fruit Mojito, my new favorite all time drink! You can rent a cabana by the pool with great couches and ceiling fans for $50 for the whole day and sit or lay without fear of sunburn.

On the 2nd and 3rd night, we upgraded ($200 per night more) to the luxury executive suite on the 35th floor and that was full on Trump quality luxury. Bathtub in the bedroom, soft down bed topper and pillows, turn down service, plush robes and slippers, living room with comfortable couches and a well equipped mini bar/frig. Great but not really worth the extra money unless you are really wanting to impress!

We had wonderful drinks in Cava 15 on the 15th floor served by a great bartender, Otilia. She introduced us to the passion fruit mojito. The bar menu is actually an IPad. She handed us each one as soon as we sat down and it explains all of the specialty drinks as well as a generous selection of rums, whiskeys, scotches, etc. complete with pictures.

On our last night we ate at the La Terrezine?? (not sure but it means The Terrace)..oceanside and had some of the best Italian food we have had since the North End of Boston. Get a chicken Caesar salad. You will not be sorry. They have about 3 full pages of Bruchettas and they are made with a crusty french style bread instead of a crisp wafer-like bread. We liked them better made this way.

Over all we will definitely return as we like to spend our last Panama vacation night in the city cause of the close proximity to the airport.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LMHO2523,

Thank you for your recent visit to the Trump Ocean Club. We appreciate your time to share your experience.

I am very happy that you enjoyed the passion fruit mojitos, the pool cabanas, the Cava 15 menu choices and service, and of course the suite. On the other hand, I’m sorry you did not enjoy the bathroom design in your guest room. It is in fact quite unique and is intended to be far from your norm to inspire you into the experience you are looking for.

We do look forward to welcoming you back so we can improve on this recent visit, and hope that can be very soon.

Pinner, England
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed at The Trump as a tourist in February 2013.
First a little on Panama City. It is a modern concrete jungle with a major traffic problem.
High rise offices, appartments and hotels are standard here as are shopping malls and banks. The city is brash and functional with not much to attract the tourist except a small old city (which at time of writing was being remodelled and was more like a building site) and of course the canal.
The Trump has an unattractive waterfront location and is a 70 storey very modern building with the hotel occuppying some of the lower floors. It is an efficient hotel with attractive furnishings and 3 very average restaurants (although breakfast was good). The modern pool areas are covered in shade for most of day. The hotel does not have a spa.
Rooms are what you would expect of a 5 star functional city hotel although maybe a litte larger than average.
The hotel is more suited to business than tourism as the tourist sites (such as they are) are further away than other hotels in the city.
Good value though.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PeterSF
Dear Peter SF,

Thank you for your choice to stay at the Trump Ocean Club during your February visit to Panama and thank you for the time to provide your feedback.

Our goal is to provide you with a setting that will inspire the escape from the norm that you may be looking for, while providing quality service that exceeds your expectations. We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you and improve on your experience with us at the Trump Ocean Club.

new orleans
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We switched hotels after one night in a "not so great" place and were so happy that Trump had a vacancy for us. Upon arrival we were greeted by the valet staff and helped out of our taxi then escorted up to the 14th floor to the lobby.

At the front desk was Ana, a lovely and wonderful representative of this hotel. We explained to her that we had been on a canal tour all day and came back to our original hotel to find they had no water and really wanted to shower and get settled in. She found us a double/double room that was immediately ready for occupancy and quickly checked us in.

We were shown to our room on the 27th floor and felt like we had "died and went to heaven". The rooms are beautifully done and we were pleasantly surprised to have a balcony. The bell man spent quality time showing us all the features of the room. There were so many excellent touches that really make a difference in your stay. We loved the Nespresso machine and drank a few cups of coffee on the balcony looking out unto the ocean and the pretty building next door. We could see half of the pools from our balcony. We planned a pool day for the following day. The tub in the middle of the room was not a big deal and my daughter and I both enjoyed soaking in this wonderfully designed tub and each drew the floor to ceiling curtain around the tub like a cocoon.

The room amenities were vast including details such as perfumed body wash in designer bottles, a silver box with manicure set, cotton makeup removal pads and comb plus in the closet there was a shoe horn and a shoe brush. The long length robes provided were lush. No details are overlooked.

We had dinner at the in house Barcelona restaurant and had an excellent meal there. We also enjoyed a lunch around the pool one day which was also excellent.

We plan on returning one day to Panama and will definitely stay at the Trump Ocean Club Hotel again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Zoesmom2,

We are so very pleased to know you were well received and satisfied with your choice to stay at the Trump Ocean Club. Thank you for taking the time to provide your positive feedback regarding the property and the service you received.

I will make sure that Ana and the rest of the staff from that day are aware of your comments and are encouraged by these to continue working on always exceeding expectations.

We look forward to your return and hope that can be very soon.

Longmont, Colorado
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I was originally excited to stay at the Trump Panama, expecting the luxury and excellence associated with the Trump brand in other places. But the Trump Hotel is more like a moderately average hotel chain in the states making it overpriced for the experience in Panama. The rooms are nice and so are the pools and workout facilities. Service at the various restaurants is hit and miss. One night it was great the next it was a disaster. The inconsistency of service was consistent. When you book your stay I would be sure to ask if they have any large poolside events taking place. One my final night there was a wedding and they closed the entire pool area to guests at about 11 am. Moreover, the outdoor party went well after midnight with a live band. This made it hard to sleep which was needed for my early flight. Other reviewers are correct that door side private taxi service is more expensive than city taxis but they are more convenient. I found staff to be nice and accommodating. I believe the Panama Trump website says they have a private beach and marina and other spa services. I do not think these things have been developed yet at the hotel though they may be in the future.

I am not sure if I would stay here again as it is a bit overpriced for the level of service.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
TOCGM, General Manager at Trump International Hotel & Tower Panama, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear RayF001,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Trump Ocean Club. We appreciate your choosing our hotel and for taking the time to provide your thoughtful feedback.

I am happy to know you enjoyed your guest room and pool facilities as well as the convenience of the guest transportation services we made available for you.

As for the private beach club and marina, we are in the process of completing that additional amenity and hope to be able to launch this in the coming months, as well as, the complete spa services. For now we are able to accommodate our guests to spa services by direct request and a daily ferry to Pearl Islands so to capture the beach experience during your stay at the Trump Ocean Club.

I’m sorry to know that the event held at the pool area during your stay negatively affected your experience. We try to accommodate everyone by closing off only part of the pool area if a particular group of guests have requested a poolside event and try to keep the noise level from the event to a strict schedule. Nonetheless, you were, in fact, affected and for this I hope you will allow us another opportunity to improve on your experience.

Finally, as for the inconsistent service we provided for you during your stay, I apologize. We strive to exceed your expectations in this regard and therefore will certainly take your comments to heart in our continued efforts to improve.

I do hope you will allow us another opportunity to welcome you back and win back your confidence by providing you with the service and experience that you expect and deserve and therefore leave you with a much better memory of your time with us at Trump Ocean Club. Nadezhka Veliz, our Attache Manager will be in contact directly to see about this possibility.

New York City, New York
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Omar took us to the San Blas islands for the day. He was well organized and prepared for the day ahead. He knew the islands to go to, set up our hammocks and had breakfast and lunch for us. We had a great experience and that is thanks to Omar! I highly recommend you using him to plan your trip to San Blas Islands!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank darynk_13
Dear Darynk 13,

Thank you for your recent visit to our Trump Ocean Club.

I am thrilled that you thoroughly enjoyed your trip to the San Blas Islands and that Omar and his PBA Holding Group were able to coordinate that seamless experience for you. I will certainly pass on your comments to Omar and his team.

We appreciate your visit and look forward to welcoming you back to our Trump Ocean Club very soon.