“Great Hostel, great location, even better staff!”

Hostel Villa Vento Surf
Reviewed July 11, 2012

One of my favourite hostels on my trip! Always clean and always a smiling staff member to help out! Beds were comfy, bathrooms clean and a good sized kitchen. Will definitely be going back next time I'm in Panama City

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hostel Villa Vento Surf

Reviewed July 10, 2012

My wife, her aunt and myself stayed in this hostel for 3 nights. They have one private room, which we had. The room had 1 double bed and one single bed. It did not have a private bath, but it did have air conditioning. The room was clean and comfortable. The bathrooms was usually available (there were two right next to each other). Although most of the guests were younger than us (my wife and I are middle aged, her aunt is 79) we enjoyed their company. They have a pool which I used every day. The pool is also a great place to meet people from all over the world. Our private room was $50.00 a night. Most of the place is hostel beds, both bunk-beds, regular single beds, one double bed, some air conditioned and some not. I believe the cheapest price for a non-air conditioned bunk-bed is $12.00 The location is excellent, midway between the new skyscraper city and the old Casco Viejo. The location is also very safe, near many restaurants, and only 2 blocks from the ocean. I think the name may be "Hostal" rather than "Hostel", the difference being the spelling in spanish and english. I own a hostel in San Salvador, El Salvador the Hostal Cumbres del Volcan, and the spelling of Hostal often causes guest to not find our web page and our facebook page. The pool can be a problem for those who go to bed early as there is sometimes noisy talking around the pool at night. This was not a problem for me, but was for my wife.

Room Tip: If you want a private room, book early. They have mostly dorm rooms and only one private room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Staying at Hostel Villa Vento Surf was one of the highlights of our trip to Panama City. We were in Panama City, staying at this hostel for 2 weeks - so I can give a comprehensive review of what to expect there.

Firstly, expect to meet great people. Barry (the hostel manager) and Daniel (the owner) are just stellar guys. Barry and Daniel both went extremely out of their way to ensure that our group (7 girls travelling together) were comfortable, safe, and happy.

The hostel is a great combination of fun if you want it and quiet if you need that too. Although the crowd was largely younger (18-25) the rooms were quiet at night when you needed to sleep. Mariana and Angie keep the hostel super clean (for the most part), so you feel comfortable in that way.

The location is great, close to lots of things you'll need - and you can eat pancakes in the morning and Daniel grills out on Thursdays (it's a great way to meet the folks you're staying with!) Daniel is really knowledgeable about the area and is always willing to offer directions and suggestions.

Now for a few downsides - just to be fair. The bathroom is what you would expect for a hostel in this price range in a dorm - nothing fancy. Just come prepared for that and you'll be just fine. The heat in Panama can be crushing and AC is only available 9pm - 9am - so come with shorts and a little fan if you have one. I'd also suggest bringing your own lock if you would like to keep your suitcase locked up! If you want to buy one when you arrive, the farmacia about 30 seconds away sells them (but they are really crappy). On the whole, I felt safe though and did not worry about things getting stolen or anything. In fact, I accidentally left my camera downstairs and Barry kept it safe until I claimed it. Like I said, stellar folks working at a stellar establishment.

Definitely would recommend this place. Cheers to Daniel and Barry!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank jspeifer
Reviewed June 30, 2012

After a rough bus ride from Bocas Del Toro and one night in the ghetto, we were lucky enough to find Villa Vento and secure beds for ourselves. We haven't looked back since.
Located just a couple of blocks from Panama City's famous Calle Uraguay, this hostel is located in the heart of the city with super markets, bus stops, malls, restaurants, clubs and pubs all within walking distance. Other than this, the staff are what truly make this place. Daniel, Barry, Angie and Marina are the most kind hearted and welcoming group of people I've come across. Always willing to help, always offering advice and always willing to chat. The rooms are ridiculously clean and the bathrooms immaculate. Pancake breakfast and coffee included is always a bonus! The outdoor area includes a pool which is perfect for the lazy days when the sun is hot.
I spent 3 weeks sleeping in the 'hallway' which is the cheaper option and wouldn't have it any other way. Nicknamed 'tent city' I absolutely loved it out there and was happy to pay every cent of the nightly rate.
My home away form home and my Panamanian family will be greatly missed. With overnight trips to the beach, several lunches and dinners prepared for me, BBQ nights catered for by the owner and just the general family vibe you get here, the last 3 weeks have been an absolute blessing and I'm so thankful for my time here. A huge thank you to the entire staff for making my stay such a memorable one,

Room Tip: Loved 'tent city'.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I've been traveling around for years and this was one of the best stay i'd have.

THe location is great, it's safe and secure at night, it's 5minutes away from the cinta costera(by the sea) and 2 blocks away from the calle uruguay, where clubs and restaurants are.

I arrived late afternoon, and was welcoming by daniel and his team with a free barbecue and free rhum , it was so easy to interact with people, it was a great night.

I never plan my trips usually so i thought i was gonna stay one night cause i dont really like cities, but i ended up staying for a week there cause of the people there so nice!

I slept in the girls dorm, which is big and comfy, it has air condition with control so we can choose the temperature.

THe kitchen is fully equiped, there is everything you need even a blender which is great if you like to make your own juice or cocktails ;)

The staff is awesome, friendly and very helpful plus you can practice your spanish with the girls working there.

Overall, I would give the hostel a 5/5 for the quality of my sleep, for the location, the staff, and the areas, it really feels like home, you will love it.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank claire d
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I would have given this hostel a 3 (for average) if I had not booked it based on all the other reviews that rave about how excellent it is. We booked the private double room with air conditioning and the air conditioning was broken when we arrived. They seemed really surprised that it wasn't working and clearly did not check the air conditioning before we arrived (and we arrived at 10pm). The room was really dirty and the sheets smelled like they hadn't been washed. I had packed a pillow with me but my boyfriend had to make due with the "pillows" they gave us which were so lumpy it seemed like a bad joke.

Daniel was really nice, buena onda for sure, but the other girl working there (Alison, I think) was really hostile and not helpful. She acted like it was a chore for her to answer questions about directions to places nearby, and even how much she thought a taxi ride would cost. More than anything, it bothered me that she spoke English but kept talking to my boyfriend in Spanish even after I told her multiple times he didn't speak it.

The bathrooms were typical hostel bathrooms, which I don't mind at all. What I found really strange though, was that there are BUNK BEDS in the hallway upstairs...and it's "closed off" by hospital drapes. That means that everytime I turned on the light coming up the stairs at night I was waking someone up, which really weirded me out. I actually saw people changing at times because it was so poorly closed in. I hope those travelers aren't paying more than $5/night for that...it was the sketchiest sleeping arrangement I've seen at a hostel by far.

Overall, our stay was truly disappointing and I have no idea why this hostel was rated a 4.5.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MariaH497
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Daniel and his staff are what make this place what it is. It's their home, it's your home, and it's a comfortable place to really interact and connect with fellow guests, and make friends. Not to even mention the fact that it has a pool in the middle of the city - so awesome. Great way to get your water fix when you can't get to a beach to swim. With more plants to fill in the space, it's like a little oasis in the middle of a bustling metropolis. The beds are really comfortable (albeit bunk beds, but the mattresses at the time I was there, were brand new and *thick*! SO nice to sleep on.)
Anyway, I absolutely recommend staying here, get to know the people there and enjoy the atmosphere, enjoy the central yet relatively quiet location of this place, make use of the pool and get some awesome family-style dinners going!! It's what you make it :)
(Thank you Daniel and Angie and Marina, you made my time in Panama City so memorable....big hugs to all of you!!)
-Allie