“Needs some organization”

Hostel Villa Vento Surf
Reviewed November 16, 2011

Stayed here for one night before moving elsewhere. The 4 bed dorm advertised is actually a hallway with a few screens thrown up around the beds. The screens don't reach the upper bunks. We were woken up all night by people turning the hall light on to get to the bigger dorms and private rooms. The corner our beds were set up in was at the top of the stairwell- noise from downstairs traveled up to our 'dorm' consistently. We've stayed in many hostels and have never had to sleep in a common area like this. The owner/manager was rarely around, and it was never clear who we could express our concerns to. This place is very relaxed and clean, but needs a bit more organization to be a good hostel. It's a bit more expensive than the other hostels around and the added cost is not reflected in what you get.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Breakfastonearth
hostelvillaventosurf, Propietario at Hostel Villa Vento Surf, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2011

First of all sorry you where not happy with your stay here. The beds where you slept are advertised as an open dorm. Its a bed for people who want to stay in a nice place but dont want to spend the aditional two dollars for the other dorms. The part of your commnet that states that the owner is never around is not accurate or fair. I was the one that checked you in ,showed you the other dorms, gave you advice on where to buy a used surfboard, gave you the option to choose a private room. Maybe i didnt have t-shirt or a name tag that says owner, but you could have said something to me if you didnt like where you where sleeping.

Reviewed November 4, 2011

This place is great-clean, great people, the pool is awesome, and Daniel, the owner, is so chill, friendly and helpful!! I stayed longer than planned and I still didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed September 18, 2011

i am traveling around the world and i was in many hostels. the hostel villa vento surf is the best i have ever been. the people are very friendly and helpful and all is good organized. the hostel is very clean!!! never been in a hostel like that clean!!! the beds in the dorms are very comfortable. the hostel has also a nice pool area which is also very clean and nice to hang around and chilling. if the weather is not good, you can hang around in the lounge area inside the hostel which has tables and many sofas to chill and a home cinema. i would always come back and i recommend it!... enjoy your panama city trip in the VILLA VENTO SURF HOSTEL... anita salamon from switzerland

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 18, 2011

It pains me to write this review as I met great people at this hostel, I thought the owner and facilities were great, but there was a major issue during my stay. I sincerely hope that it will be corrected as soon as possible, but I have to write an honest review of my experience. As I was getting everything ready to check out, the last thing I did was to get my moneybelt with my spare cash and passport from the locker (where I checked and all in order the night before). My money belt was half open and all my dollars ($300) was gone. I had to carry a lot of spare money as I was going on to Venezuela where I needed to exchange cash rather than using ATM´s. Daniel was very understanding and gave me $150 back, but that was still an expensive stay. Another girl lost her bank cards and $100. As far as I know, the night guard was suspected and asked to leave. Daniel also said he will change the lockers and make it more secure, but it is not getting my money back... Losing that much money (about 10 days worth of budget traveling), made this a terrible experience for me.
Again - I also agree with all the great reviews, the place is spotless and as I said - if the security issues have been corrected, it will be a great place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Adecolt
Reviewed August 17, 2011

After traveling 5 months we can say this was absolutely our number 1 hostel!
There are orthopedic beds, so for once we slept like roses :)
It's more like a house with 2 dormitory's and several private rooms.
We slept in the dorms and they were always extremely clean. There is a bathroom for every dorm! If there are any problems at all, the young owner Daniel is immediately there for you to fix it. He can also give you great advice about the city, spots to go out and shopping. The swimming pool in the garden is great to relax when it's too warm.
The kitchen has the best supplies to make nice meals. In the relax room you feel like home. You can watch movies, get inspired from surf movies,...
I honestly can't find a bad thing :) We tried Luna's Castle before but WOW are we GLAD we decided to pay one dollar more for such a wonderfull place.
THANK YOU!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank inaml
Reviewed June 10, 2011

freshly opened 3 weeks ago, this little hostel is clean and fresh with really comfy beds. Daniel the owner is a great guy, full of useful infomation about just about anything and always ready to help in whatever way he can. the place is very chilled with emphasis on respect for fellow travellers who might want some peace and quite and a good nights sleep. wifi is fast and free, pool is lovely, great selection of movies on the big flat screan tv, good to sit and mong in front of a surf flic when its too hot to do anything else. its right in the middle of panama city so convienent for everything. cant fault the place......................
Thanks Dan, I'll be back. x

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 9, 2011

It felt like home! There is a great vibe in this hostel - after long days of being out - it such a pleasure to come to the hostel, chill out by the pool and the people. The beds are great quality and comfortable. One of the cleanest hostels I have seen. The owner, Daniel and his staff are super hospitable and makes sure everyone is happy. Another thing, the location is prime, its in the center of everything. I ended up extending my trip, because it was such a pleasant stay!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business